Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordy Glenn??
Glenn missed 15 games last season after surgery on his foot. Buffalo has Dion Dawkins, their 2016 2nd round pick. He played very well in Glenn's absence last season, and Buffalo may be looking to move Glenn. Glenn would immediately become our best OL, providing the foot is fully healed. If Buffalo is indeed wanting to move on, what would be a fair trade offer for Glenn. Maybe a 3rd and a 5th?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 12:59 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Glenn missed 15 games last season after surgery on his foot.  Buffalo has Dion Dawkins, their 2016 2nd round pick.  He played very well in Glenn's absence last season, and Buffalo may be looking to move Glenn.  Glenn would immediately become our best OL, providing the foot is fully healed.  If Buffalo is indeed wanting to move on, what would be a fair trade offer for Glenn.  Maybe a 3rd and a 5th?

Would Love glenn.  Wouldn't mind getting rid of our comp picks for glenn at all.  With a cleared foot of course.
Reply/Quote
déjà vu

Have heard this somewhere before.

Foot injury on OL is a little scary.

But loved him coming out of the draft as many others around the mothership did. So would be ok with it if price was right and Drs clear him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
can do the comp 3rd and a 6th
Reply/Quote
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but Glenn's cap hit might affect whether the Bengals would pursue or not.
Glenn has three years remaining on his contract and here are each year's cap hits (dead cap in parentheses):
2018: $14.45 mill ($11.1 mill)
2019: $12.45 mill ($6.4 mill)
2020: $12.7 mill ($3.2 mill)

With the Bengals already pretty much writing off any big-money FAs from the outside because they are hoarding all the cap for Dunlap, Atkins, and Dennard, I'd be a little surprised if they'd be willing to take on this high cap hit for a guy coming off multiple injuries the past two seasons.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 02:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I hate to be Debbie Downer, but Glenn's cap hit might affect whether the Bengals would pursue or not.
Glenn has three years remaining on his contract and here are each year's cap hits (dead cap in parentheses):

With the Bengals already pretty much writing off any big-money FAs from the outside because they are hoarding all the cap for Dunlap, Atkins, and Dennard, I'd be a little surprised if they'd be willing to take on this high cap hit for a guy coming off multiple injuries the past two seasons.

Did not realize this and coupled with his injury do not see it being a wise investment now. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 02:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I hate to be Debbie Downer, but Glenn's cap hit might affect whether the Bengals would pursue or not.

I could be wrong, but if traded, the team trading him takes the cap hit of any bonuses paid already and deferred. New team is only on the hook for the remaining contract as the reason all of that dead money is because they gave him huge bonus so they could push cap over 6 years or life of the contract.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

I wish they would have traded Dre K for him before the Bills signed Vontae Davis. Don't know much about the logistics about the cap numbers and what not but it seem like they make the same amount so would that make it easier to lessen the hit?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 03:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I could be wrong, but if traded, the team trading him takes the cap hit of any bonuses paid already and deferred. New team is only on the hook for the remaining contract as the reason all of that dead money is because they gave him huge bonus so they could push cap over 6 years or life of the contract.

Interesting. I didn't think/know that was the case? Maybe you or someone else can find some link to confirm?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd give a third round pick for him
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 04:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Interesting. I didn't think/know that was the case? Maybe you or someone else can find some link to confirm?

This is true. If a player is traded, the team acquiring them is not responsible for the cap hit. It would all fall on the Bills next season, so there is benefit there. It just hurts the Bills salary cap pretty badly. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 05:57 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: This is true. If a player is traded, the team acquiring them is not responsible for the cap hit. It would all fall on the Bills next season, so there is benefit there. It just hurts the Bills salary cap pretty badly. 

According to this link, it's not necessarily true though.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

I guess we'd need to see nitty gritty details of Glenn's remaining contract to see what the hit to the Bengals would actually be.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 06:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: According to this link, it's not necessarily true though.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

I guess we'd need to see nitty gritty details of Glenn's remaining contract to see what the hit to the Bengals would actually be.

I think, and this may not be right, but that it would end up looking like:

2018: 11.25 million
2019: 9.25 million
2020: 9.5 million 

That's with his salary and his 2 million dollar roster bonus each season accounted for. Signing bonus of 3.2 million each year would get prorated and absorbed by the Bills for a total of a 9.6 million in dead cap.
Reply/Quote
should trade those comp picks to the Rams for that Whitworth guy
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 06:42 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I think, and this may not be right, but that it would end up looking like:

That's with his salary and his 2 million dollar roster bonus each season accounted for. Signing bonus of 3.2 million each year would get prorated and absorbed by the Bills for a total of a 9.6 million in dead cap.

Thanks for the leg work, I think I'd do it.  That's solid value for a starting LT that can also run block.  Because of the lingering ankle injury I don't know if the Bills get more than Cincy's 3rd.  If the ankle checks out he should shed another 10lbs to be safe and we should be happy we have talent again on the OL.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 06:42 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I think, and this may not be right, but that it would end up looking like:

If so, I would definitely consider a trade for Glenn.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Two more things to consider:

1. In a trade, you're adding a starter without factoring into Mikey's likely comp pick plan. AJ Mccarron would likely fetch a 3rd (Browns front end deal to be a bridge QB) and who knows what happens with Eifert. They'll likely keep both Smiths and Huber, so the ones that will impact looking at low-mid tier UFA's would be Bodine, Hill and anyone crazy enough to pay Minter fringe rate even. If anything, maybe Marvin uses Mikey's logic in pitching the idea back to him to let Bodine walk so they can be free to sign another UFA at LB or OL. Insane or not, it's a reality.

2. Cincy isn't a top FA destination. You could say "the Bills may cut Glenn if they can't find a deal", but who says he even signs with Cincy? Even as a cut FA that wouldn't factor into the above, Cincy hasn't historically given high guaranteed money to win a FA over. The OT market is rough, we're not the only team concerned that the best Week 1 talent may be a green draft pick over this year's FA crop.

If I'm one of those guys thinking Glenn is worth a 4th or worth waiting for, if that ankle checks out I wouldn't get cute.
Reply/Quote
If the money works I’m in. Been saying this for awhile it’s great to have all these extra picks but the downside is they all can’t all make the roster which we saw last year. Also the comp picks overall have had a low impact on the field other then minor roles. We are basically looking starters at RT, RG, C , LT , LB and need to address TE and perhaps safety. Tough to fill all these needs in one draft and we all know they won’t do it in free agency. I’m fine giving up as much as a 3rd because we still have an extra 3rd to compensate for losing the pick. Trading for Glenn opens things up at 12. If Nelson is their we can pull the tigger and still have the possibility to take a tackle in round 2 or 3.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 10:10 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If so, I would definitely consider a trade for Glenn.

Same here, all for this. Probably a lot cheaper than Solder in the end.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Reply/Quote