Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordy Glenn
(01-29-2020, 01:51 AM)impactplaya Wrote: No thanks to Cordy Glenn. He can't stay healthy.
He's past his prime. His money can be used elsewhere
To help upgrade this roster
Memo to the Cordy Fan Club..we drafted WillIams
For a reason.  The Bills traded him for a reason.
If a team us willing to Trade a LT....that's not good
He got paid alot in Cincy and did little to earn it.

Damn you.  I thought this going to be a poem. Rant

No thanks to Cordy Glenn. He can't stay healthy
He's past his prime even though he's wealthy
To help upgrade this roster
Memo to the Cordy Fan Club, he won't be fostered
For a reason. The Bills traded him before their season
If a team is willing to Trade a LT he's that not good
He got paid a lot in Cincy and we knew he would
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 01:24 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Low effort guy. Cut him or trade him for whatever you can get.

I second this...I want guys that love the game and have energy.  I think he was just a very big man that was told to play football because of his size.  After his public hissy fit, I think it is time to get what you can for him.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 02:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That's my thought. I wish we knew the REAL reason he didn't play. Assuming it was something innocent, I wouldn't mind him finishing out his contract at LG, but that's a mighty big assumption.

This is one of the issues you see when there are multiple high-dollar guys getting paid not to play.  The injuries to Williams and Green, and the retirement of Westerman and Boling, surrounded Glenn with people not going through the rigors of camp.  I have never seen a lineman with a concussion from the preseason go until almost the end of the season. I don't want to say the guy was faking, but as I stated earlier, I just don't see him as someone that loves the game.  He loves to get paid but doesn't seem to love to play.  Has amazing physical traits, though.

That is one of the things I wish the Bengals would focus more on when drafting (I know it isn't easy to evaluate) but they seem to go for physical attributes over gamers.  Over guys that live for the game.  I think of tackling machines like Zach Thomas, pinball WRs like Julian Edelman, and QBs with incredible determination and intelligence (DeShawn Watson).  None of those guys broke records at the combine but will go down as some of the most productive at their position (more than likely).

I think of Sam Hubbard....didn't dominate in any catagory at the combine, but is someone that plays full throttle and has been a very important part of the defensive line.  He has been one of their better picks of late.  Let's see more of that. 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 03:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cordy Glenn was the highest-rated starter on the OL in 2019 according to PFF with a score of 68.4 (76.9 pass block, 54.6 run block).
Purely from a performance standpoint, Hart, Miller, Price, and Jordan should be gone (or at least not starting) before Glenn.

If you bring in Whit to play LG, Thuney to play RG, draft a RT, and you have Williams back at LT....they will be.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 04:00 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I wouldn't want this POS on the roster if he agreed to play for the league minimum.

It would be absolutely insanity if this team pays him 9+ mil next year. This loser faked and dragged out concussion symptoms for like 12 weeks, to the point of us having to withhold play. He was rumored to have almost come to blows with a coach, and had a screaming fit with Taylor. Not to at all mention that he's under-performed that 9 mil valuation.

Cut bait NOW! You cannot allow a cancer like this to polute your locker-room. It sends a terrible message, both in-house and to the fan-base. That money is better served being spent elsewhere, even without everything I just mentioned.

Good points, all.  It showed a bit of a turn around when they released Mark Walton after his transgression.  Great.  That was easy.  He was a 4th round pick that hadn't really shown much (we already have a Gio that we don't use).  Glenn was far further out of line and that kind of attitude is like a cancer, as you said.  I hope they can get anything for him.  
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 06:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see a few fans hoping for a trade, as that would be the most positive an outcome we Bengal fans could hope for.  Unfortunately, I can't envision any well run organization taking on that salary, for what little he has to offer.

With a trade being more of a "wishful thinking" type of option, I think the best we can realistically hope for is for Cordy Glenn to simply be released.  After that entire "injury" episode last season, I have trouble understanding why he wasn't given his full release the day after the season was completed.  (I put injury in quotes, as I find myself skeptical as to the validity of that 12 weeks of sitting out)

It's just my opinion, but cutting ties with Cordy Glenn would likely be healthy for the team to fully buy into going a new direction.  The OT selection in this draft class seems to have a fair number of promising prospects, compared to other recent drafts.  None of us are thrilled with Bobby Hart, but in reality he don't cost so much that if he gets beaten out by a rookie, that it would be financially painful to have him on the bench.  I'd like to see the Bengals pick up a good Guard in free agency, no washed-up, bandaid on a shotgun blast types, but a true, proven professional Offensive Guard.

Talked to Joe Thuney's folks at Kroger the other day and told them how I am working on the Bengals to try to sign Joseph.  They laughed, thinking I was kidding, but they did say "we would love that".  

Get Thuney and either a draft pick to push Hart at RT by Fred Johnson.  Johnson did pretty well in his limited opportunity at LT last year, and is built like a RT.  I would rather, as many have said, go after a guy like Thuney for the RG position and Whit at the LG position than invest any money in Glenn for any spot on the line.  

I remember reading somewhere that Taylor emphasizes the middle of the offensive line and I can't think of one that might be better, and relatively affordable, than Whit-Hopkins-Thuney.  Have Williams at LT, Hart and Johnson battle it out at RT, and draft another OT to develop.  
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 09:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good points, all.  It showed a bit of a turn around when they released Mark Walton after his transgression.  Great.  That was easy.  He was a 4th round pick that hadn't really shown much (we already have a Gio that we don't use).  Glenn was far further out of line and that kind of attitude is like a cancer, as you said.  I hope they can get anything for him.

Me to, if they can get a 5th I'd jump all over it. If not just cut him.

I can't believe they let him back on the field after the stunts he pulled ! Desperation I guess ?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 09:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Talked to Joe Thuney's folks at Kroger the other day and told them how I am working on the Bengals to try to sign Joseph.  They laughed, thinking I was kidding, but they did say "we would love that".  

Get Thuney and either a draft pick to push Hart at RT by Fred Johnson.  Johnson did pretty well in his limited opportunity at LT last year, and is built like a RT.  I would rather, as many have said, go after a guy like Thuney for the RG position and Whit at the LG position than invest any money in Glenn for any spot on the line.  

I remember reading somewhere that Taylor emphasizes the middle of the offensive line and I can't think of one that might be better, and relatively affordable, than Whit-Hopkins-Thuney.  Have Williams at LT, Hart and Johnson battle it out at RT, and draft another OT to develop.  

I would tend to agree with that statement.  If you look back at the Rams' offensive success in 2018, their interior OL was quite dominate.  After losing Roger Saffold in free agency, the Rams OL just didn't have it's same effectiveness, while Tennessee's OL added Saffold and D Henry tore up the league.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I feel like part of the reason why he was disgruntled in the first place was the move to LG.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 09:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Talked to Joe Thuney's folks at Kroger the other day and told them how I am working on the Bengals to try to sign Joseph.  They laughed, thinking I was kidding, but they did say "we would love that".  

I love Whit and want to see him retire a Bengals but I don't think it makes sense at 37 for him or the Bengals to play for a rebuilding team. I love Thuney he's been a stud since starting as a rookie. Interior line play doesn't get the average fan excited but's it's extremely important. This is a great free agent guard class Thuney is the number one free agent guard if they can't get him I would look at Brandon Scherff or Graham Glasgow. Glasgow might be the most realistic option his brother Ryan already plays for the Bengals and he might be cheaper with Thuney and Scherff more than likely to get signed first. Jordan, Miller and company can battle for the other guard spot and we can look for a RT in the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 09:51 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I feel like part of the reason why he was disgruntled in the first place was the move to LG.

That's probably true, and if so, an attitude like that is exactly why so many would just rather see the team part ways with him.  One of the first values that kids are taught when they start playing sports is to be a TEAM player.  I'll give you a good example.  When I was playing Semi-Pro football, I really enjoyed playing DE/OLB.  When the RG went down with an injury, guess who got appointed to play RG?  Did I want to play RG, hell no.  I did it for the team, learned the position and got decent at it.  Same in another year, our two top DTs both suffered knee injuries in consecutive weeks.  Again, I was asked to play interior line position.  It's just something that players do, when they want to help their team win.

Now, my example is from an amateur perspective.  From a professional perspective, he get's paid to play FOOTBALL.  He should be ready and willing to play wherever his team asks him to line up, and collect his game check just the same.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 09:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you bring in Whit to play LG, Thuney to play RG, draft a RT, and you have Williams back at LT....they will be.

While that sounds fantastic, you and I both know that it's extremely unlikely the Bengals would make moves like this.
Hobson already basically indicated as such with his comments the past week or so.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 10:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's probably true, and if so, an attitude like that is exactly why so many would just rather see the team part ways with him.  One of the first values that kids are taught when they start playing sports is to be a TEAM player.  I'll give you a good example.  When I was playing Semi-Pro football, I really enjoyed playing DE/OLB.  When the RG went down with an injury, guess who got appointed to play RG?  Did I want to play RG, hell no.  I did it for the team, learned the position and got decent at it.  Same in another year, our two top DTs both suffered knee injuries in consecutive weeks.  Again, I was asked to play interior line position.  It's just something that players do, when they want to help their team win.

Now, my example is from an amateur perspective.  From a professional perspective, he get's paid to play FOOTBALL.  He should be ready and willing to play wherever his team asks him to line up, and collect his game check just the same.

I would imagine future discrepancies In pay LT/RT>RG/LG along with ego play a great part in his dissatisfaction and unwillingness to be a "team player".

So sad but true.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 10:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: While that sounds fantastic, you and I both know that it's extremely unlikely the Bengals would make moves like this.
Hobson already basically indicated as such with his comments the past week or so.

Yeah Hobson stated he thinks the Bengals made their moves on the offensive line with the signings of O'Shea Dugas , Isiah Prince and Fred Johnson lol. He basically shutdown any talk of them signing significant free agent players. Tobin and the Bengals must tell Hobson what to say because there’s no way a rational football fan believes these moves are significant enough to upgrade the roster. They’ve had the worse defense in the league the last two seasons a couple of rookies and signings like B.W Webb won’t change that. Dugas and Price are bottom of the roster guys and Johnson sample size is way to small , plus we have a chance to upgrade at the guard position.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 11:52 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Yeah Hobson stated he thinks the Bengals made their moves on the offensive line with the signings of O'Shea Dugas , Isiah Prince and Fred Johnson lol.  He basically shutdown any talk of them signing significant free agent players.  Tobin and the Bengals must tell Hobson what to say because there’s no way a rational football fan believes these moves are significant enough to upgrade the roster. They’ve had the worse defense in the league the last two seasons a couple of rookies and signings like B.W Webb won’t change that. Dugas and Price are bottom of the roster guys and Johnson sample size is way to small , plus we have a chance to upgrade at the guard  position.

If you're Joe Burrow, wouldn't you be paying attention to how the Bengals address FA this year before the draft starts?
Not only does Burrow need to put a good impression on the Bengals but the Bengals need to indicate to Joe that they are serious about building a contender quickly.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Couple of points

-If Whit has lost the skills to play OT then he would be worthless at OG.

-People act like we can just sign any player we want. That may not be the case. We should hold on to Glen until we have a replacement.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 12:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you're Joe Burrow, wouldn't you be paying attention to how the Bengals address FA this year before the draft starts?
Not only does Burrow need to put a good impression on the Bengals but the Bengals need to indicate to Joe that they are serious about building a contender quickly.

I think only Bengals fans truly know how this organization runs. I think Joe will come in with the mindset that he can change things around. I think the only chance Burrow becomes disgruntled is if things don’t go well roster wise when his second contract comes around. He might tell the team they need to do more. Again this is all speculation. If Burrow really is the real deal then the Bengals should do everything reasonable to upgrade the roster. Landing a franchise qb dosent happen often they would be crazy to squander this golden opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 12:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you're Joe Burrow, wouldn't you be paying attention to how the Bengals address FA this year before the draft starts?

Burrow is stuck here for At least 5 years and maybe some franchise tag years no matter what, so I dont think he has any options even if he wanted to air grievances. 

As for Cordy, I know he had injury issues when we traded for him but did he have attitude/effort issues too?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Couple of points

-If Whit has lost the skills to play OT then he would be worthless at OG.

-People act like we can just sign any player we want. That may not be the case. We should hold on to Glen until we have a replacement.

I personally don’t think it makes sense to sign Whit at either tackle or guard. Whit is 37 and this team is rebuilding or should be. Glenn’s replacement is Williams and I think Fred Jonson is a cheaper option at backup swing tackle. Plus add in the concussion factor and his relationship with the team I think he is good as gone. I think the team still needs to add a quality starting RT which hopefully we can draft or sign in free agency.
Reply/Quote
I don't believe that Glenn wants to be here. If that is the case then he is of no use to us and can therefore go piss up a rope or something. Trade. Cut. I don't care. Piss up a rope.
Reply/Quote