Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading the position groups
Ranking the position groups (I'm bored):  I am trying to focus on where the FA dollars should be allocated as well as aiming for certain prospects in the draft.  I won't give a lot of detail, just the grade so people can cut and paste and give their own takes.  I am going to assume that Green (tagged), Dennard, Vigil, Billings, and Wilson are retained.  The position grade includes backups, so my grade for QB class would be Dalton, Finley, and Dolegala.  Here goes:

QB:  C
RB:  B
WR:  B
TE:  C
OT:  D
G:  F
C:  B-

DE:  B-
DT:  C
LB:  D
S:  D
CB:  C

K,P- B-
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
QB: C (w/ Dalton)
RB: A
WR: A (w/ healthy Green)
TE: C
OT: D (Williams gets an incomplete)
OG: D
C: B-

D-line: B+ (Not sure who is playing where anymore, 4-3, 3-4, 5-2?)
LB: D- (not counting the rush guys like Hubbard and Lawson here)
CB: C- (bring back Dennard and cut Dre, could go up a grade)
S: B- (Bates is an A, Williams is a C)

ST: A-

So, like most people I see o-line and LB as the two groups most in need of FAs and high draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 01:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ranking the position groups (I'm bored):  I am trying to focus on where the FA dollars should be allocated as well as aiming for certain prospects in the draft.  I won't give a lot of detail, just the grade so people can cut and paste and give their own takes.  I am going to assume that Green (tagged), Dennard, Vigil, Billings, and Wilson are retained.  The position grade includes backups, so my grade for QB class would be Dalton, Finley, and Dolegala.  Here goes:

QB:  C
RB:  B
WR:  B
TE:  C
OT:  D
G:  F
C:  B-

DE:  B-
DT:  C
LB:  D
S:  D
CB:  C

K,P- B-
QB. D
As Long as Findley is on the roster it's not good 
Dolegala hopefully jumps over him as #2

RB. A Mixon is the best RB in the AFC.Anderson is the 
Wild Card here. He flashed some mad skills before his knee went out

WR A . A healthy AJ Green makes everyone.better and causes
Mismatches. But they need to draft Green's replacement 
Tate is improving. Ross is probally in his last year in stripes.

TE. B. I hope they resign Eifert. He still does things that Uzomah
Can't do. Cethan Carter looks to be versatile in his role.
Sample needs to prove himself. 

OT.C  If Williams can get healthy this grade improves 
Fred Johnson looked rock solid in his limited starts
A free agent signing would add some experience and depth 

OG  D . This group was a mess last year. They started
3 different OG. Miller was ok at best. They need to draft a OG
and sign a FA

C. B. Trey Hopkins is underated. Best center since Rich Braham.
I would bring in FA to back Hopkins up

DE.  B. Dunlap played at a elite level. But how many more of those years does he have left. Hubbard is becoming a force 
Lawson needs to stay healthy. It would not hurt to
Look at another pass rusher in FA. 

DT. C. Atkins best days may be behind.Taputo flashed 
Wren showed very little. Billings can dominate at times.
They need to find a true pass rushing DT somewhere 

LB  F. Pratt is the only one that showed improvement
Last year. Vigil continued to leave plays on the field 
A true playmaker gamechanger is needed 

CB.  C .Darius Phillips did something the other CB failed 
To do. Take the ball away. He might be a future Pro Bowler
Jackson has been regressing. 

S. D. The Bengals have the worst tackling tandem 
In the NFL. They lack communication skills
This group could use.upgrades 

K.P B. Very consistant group overall 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 02:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: QB. D
As Long as Findley is on the roster it's not good 
Dolegala hopefully jumps over him as #2

Ok, I can go along with this...

RB. A Mixon is the best RB in the AFC.Anderson is the 
Wild Card here. He flashed some mad skills before his knee went out

The depth isn't there and Mixon is apparently so poor at blitz pick up that he goes off the field on 3rd down.  He sure came on strong, but the lack of depth and that glaring weakness makes me rank this group lower. 

WR A . A healthy AJ Green makes everyone.better and causes
Mismatches. But they need to draft Green's replacement 
Tate is improving. Ross is probally in his last year in stripes.

The depth was paper thin and was evident after AJ went down.  The starting 3 or 4 are solid if Green went down, but the lack of another versatile "#1" like Green hurts this group.  Boyd is a slot WR, as we never saw them try him outside when Green went down.  Ross is horribly inconsistent.  I still have high hopes for the guy, but he hasn't shown it yet.

TE. B. I hope they resign Eifert. He still does things that Uzomah
Can't do. Cethan Carter looks to be versatile in his role.
Sample needs to prove himself. 

Hard to rank a group so rarely utilized.  I do hope Eifert returns, although we saw a significant drop off in what made him so special before:  his speed and agility.  

OT.C  If Williams can get healthy this grade improves 
Fred Johnson looked rock solid in his limited starts
A free agent signing would add some experience and depth 

Williams is a complete unknown and the other tackles were among the worst of the league. If they get a "C", who gets a "D" or "F"?

OG  D . This group was a mess last year. They started
3 different OG. Miller was ok at best. They need to draft a OG
and sign a FA

Agreed

C. B. Trey Hopkins is underated. Best center since Rich Braham.
I would bring in FA to back Hopkins up

Hopkins has finally shown why they held on to him despite his injury-riddled start to his career.  Should we remember that when evaluating Price and Jordan?

DE.  B. Dunlap played at a elite level. But how many more of those years does he have left. Hubbard is becoming a force 
Lawson needs to stay healthy. It would not hurt to
Look at another pass rusher in FA. 

This group could be called "close but no cigar".  To be fair, the Bengals don't blitz often, but they always seem to get close to a QB or making a tackle behind the LOS, but just miss.  

DT. C. Atkins best days may be behind.Taputo flashed 
Wren showed very little. Billings can dominate at times.
They need to find a true pass rushing DT somewhere 

There are several guys in the draft that would make fine additions as DE in the new 3-4.  They are kind of "tweeners" as they aren't fast enough to play edge, but they have some serious HP to hold their ground and help push/collapse the pocket.  I could see one of those guys being added in the 4th or 5th round.  

LB  F. Pratt is the only one that showed improvement
Last year. Vigil continued to leave plays on the field 
A true playmaker gamechanger is needed 

Vigil's pass defense was actually among the best in the league down the stretch.  Addition by subtraction of Brown?  Maybe, but he also might just be figuring out the scheme.  They still need another LB or two for depth and playmaking ability.  I really love Tanner Muse, who played safety at Clemson as an outside hybrid S/LB that has great instincts and would be helpful covering TE and RB, while still defending the run.  A real football player.  

CB.  C .Darius Phillips did something the other CB failed 
To do. Take the ball away. He might be a future Pro Bowler
Jackson has been regressing. 

True...hope WJIII returns to his earlier form.  

S. D. The Bengals have the worst tackling tandem 
In the NFL. They lack communication skills
This group could use.upgrades 

Agreed.  I think Bates is solid for the deep safety but Shawn Williams is a liability in coverage.  There is a very deep class of freak safeties at the top of the draft.  If the Bengals don't see the WR they LOVE at the top of Rd 2, I hope they nab one.  

K.P B. Very consistant group overall 

Fat Randy is still fat...and Rodrigo out of Georgia would be a solid draft pick.  Someone might overdraft him, but I would offer our 6th rounder on him.  
Reply/Quote
QB: C - This includes Dalton. Without Dalton, it's a F. With Burrow, it would go back to C until we can see him play.

RB: B+ - Mixon is very good RB and Bernard is a good COP. RB is comparatively easy to find solid replacements too.

WR: B - This is if AJ is still around and is healthy. There's uncertainty after Boyd. As big of a defender as I've been for John Ross, he needs to top 700+ yards this year. Tate I see having around 500-600 yards a year moving forward. He's going to be WR3/4 while AJ is available, so he'll see less opportunities.

TE: D - This is assuming no Eifert. Uzomah is meh and everyone should know my feelings on Sample. Until Sample can show something, I can't go higher than this.

OT: D - Without Glenn or any good veteran added, there is a lot riding on Jonah Williams remaining healthy and playing well. Hart is D-level.

G: F - Miller is mediocre but Jordan and Price were abysmal last year.

C: C - Hopkins, while better than Price, was in the lower half of starting Centers last year by year's end. Price is a better C than guard, so having Price as a backup helps keep this a C.

DE: B - Maybe I think the DEs are better than they really are. Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson combined for 22.5 sacks, which is solid.

DT: C - I'd be tempted to put B here but there is no true 3T backup to Atkins (when they are in a 4-man front) and Billings isn't re-signed yet.

LB: F - The only LBs on the roster are Pratt and Evans. If Vigil is re-signed, I think the rating goes to a D. Aside from G, LB is the biggest weakness.

S: C - Williams and Bates are solid safeties. Even if Wilson and/or Fej aren't brought back, safety is easy to address in FA and also can find a decent backup in the draft.

CB: C- - WJ3 had a down year but I think he bounces back with more time in Anarumo's system. Kirkpatrick is below average for a starter, but there could be worse. If the Bengals brought back Dennard I'd bump this to a C+.

K,P: C+ - Bullock is mediocre. He's more accurate than some kickers on shorter kicks but I can't trust him on 40+ yarders. Huber has been hovering around middle of the league too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think a guy like Fred Johnson could move Hart to the bench
I was impressed with his ability to get out to the 2nd level
And Block.
The OGs need a infusion of a guy with a violent streak
We started choir boys there last year
I saw very little tenacity

TE I'm torn on if they should add a FA at a cheap.price
Delanie Walker just got cut. Demetrious Harris ...Jimmy Graham?
Im fine with bringing back Eifert.
Uzomah always seems to drop a ball at the worst timed

I hope Vigil goes elsewhere. I need a player maker
And gamechanger at LB. This defense needs a player
That can set a tone. Much like Thurman did and Burfict did.
Vigil is soft.

How about a safety that can play inside out
Use him like a chess piece ?
I have high hopes for Brandon Wilson to maybe
Come out of nowhere.
I think he has the same traits as The Honey Badger
Reply/Quote