Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Core Group
There are a lot of holes to fill not counting the front office and coaching staff.

Who would you identify as the core group players to move forward?

I would say that Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Boyd, and Mixon are the core. Who would be your picks?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 08:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: There are a lot of holes to fill not counting the front office and coaching staff.  

I would say that Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Boyd, and Mixon are the core.  Who would be your picks?

Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Boyd, and Mixon.

Glasgow was doing really well before the injury. He graded out really high through PFF.
Lawson his pressure percentages are high.
Billings - he grades out as decent through PFF.
Bates - Young and has potential.
Jackson - While he's not the elite CB we thought we had last year, he's average to above average and on a rookie contract.

Boling for maybe another year or 2?

11 guys that I consider average or better on the entire team is terrible. Plus guys like Green and Atkins are going to start to slow down because of age soon.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 08:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Boyd, and Mixon.

Glasgow was doing really well before the injury. He graded out really high through PFF.
Lawson his pressure percentages are high.
Billings - he grades out as decent through PFF.
Bates - Young and has potential.
Jackson - While he's not the elite CB we thought we had last year, he's average to above average and on a rookie contract.

Boling for maybe another year or 2?

11 guys that I consider average or better on the entire team is terrible. Plus guys like Green and Atkins are going to start to slow down because of age soon.

Bates, Mixon, and Boyd have been bright spots in otherwise a dismal year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Hubbard has flashed as well, he just needs a LB on the perimeter so that he doesn't have to get into a foot race with 4.4 guys all the time. Bates and Price have shown enough as rookies to earn "core" status. 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 08:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: There are a lot of holes to fill not counting the front office and coaching staff.  

I would say that Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Boyd, and Mixon are the core.  Who would be your picks?

I would add Dalton to that list as well as Bates and Jackson. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I thought this was a thread for Cody's new fan club
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 09:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought this was a thread for Cody's new fan club

Helluva catch and run today...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Dalton and Mixon. Unload the rest and start over.
Reply/Quote
I would throw Dalton in as our "core" guys.

Even if the Bengals do draft a QB in the first two rounds, it wouldn't surprise me if the Bengals kept Dalton as well.
He's the 20th highest paid QB in the NFL and only 17% of his money is guaranteed.

Going to need some young guys on the defensive side to become part of the core.
So far Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon have stepped up to that plate on offense
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Atkins and Dunlap have shown this year they are not worth their contracts. Cut them loose and get a lot of money to pay for producers/prospects. As far as AJ, I fear his turf toe will end his career. Time to move on and get some new DL prospects and a WR.
Reply/Quote
Depends on what you mean by core, but if the roster is going to blow up, here's who I keep (off the top of my head):

On O: Dalton, Green, Mixon, Gio, Boyd, Ross, Boling, Price

We need an entirely new roster of TEs and at least 3 new starters on the O-Line. 

On D: Geno, Dunlap, Bates, Williams, Jackson, Hubbard

We desperately need a new linebacker group.

Honestly, with a competent coach, a couple of free agent signings and a solid draft this team could make a decent turnaround. But we're at best getting one of those so things will probably get worse before they get better.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 09:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought this was a thread for Cody's new fan club

That fan club needs to be fined for even considering a Cody core fan club. What a joke of a receiver
Reply/Quote
No one should be immune to the starting again process. Most players on the team have a good go, but failed.

Green? Trade and draft picks.

Dalton? Ditto

Everyone (coaches, players and owners) have had their fun, but go on f#ck off.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 09:34 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Depends on what you mean by core, but if the roster is going to blow up, here's who I keep (off the top of my head):

On O: Dalton, Green, Mixon, Gio, Boyd, Ross, Boling, Price

We need an entirely new roster of TEs and at least 3 new starters on the O-Line. 

On D: Geno, Dunlap, Bates, Williams, Jackson, Hubbard

We desperately need a new linebacker group.

Honestly, with a competent coach, a couple of free agent signings and a solid draft this team could make a decent turnaround. But we're at best getting one of those so things will probably get worse before they get better.

Ross and Price are pretty bad right now. Maybe they develop? But, right now they aren't core group players.

Ross gets #2 WR targets with Green out and I don't think he's caught more than 2 passes a game. Maybe it's how he's being used. Maybe it's him. I don't think we know.

Price gets abused by DT's. He's got a lot of work to do.

Hubbard needs to improve a lot also. He does flash occasionally and make a play.

I wouldn't get rid of those 3, but they aren't solid contributors right now.
Reply/Quote
Ehhh.. Get rid of everyone because the true super stars in any sport are a dime a dozen and actually grow on trees right in the greater Cincinnati area. We can just pick up great players by throwing darts at old phone books and wherever the dart hits the phone book is/are our next super star player(s) EVEN IF the first name is Mildred and is 97 years old and still using an old hand crank phone  patented by Alexander Graham Bell himself . 
I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but I really don't think these past few years has been a result of total lack of talent except for the administrative side of things from the top down to the lowest coach . I think most of the actual players have been grossly mismanaged and could succeed well if managed and coached properly.  With the Mikey and Marvin shit show every year we have seen the results  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 08:55 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Hubbard has flashed as well, he just needs a LB on the perimeter so that he doesn't have to get into a foot race with 4.4 guys all the time. Bates and Price have shown enough as rookies to earn "core" status. 

Price has been absolutely terrible........Hopkins played better C then our first round pick
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 11:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ehhh.. Get rid of everyone because the true super stars in any sport are a dime a dozen and actually grow on trees right in the greater Cincinnati area. We can just pick up great players by throwing darts at old phone books and wherever the dart hits the phone book is/are our next super star player(s) EVEN IF the first name is Mildred and is 97 years old and still using an old hand crank phone  patented by Alexander Graham Bell himself . 
I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but I really don't think these past few years has been a result of total lack of talent except for the administrative side of things from the top down to the lowest coach . I think most of the actual players have been grossly mismanaged and could succeed well if managed and coached properly.  With the Mikey and Marvin shit show every year we have seen the results  

When there is mismanagement...it's truly hard to judge where the issue is.

IF Ross played for KC and Tyreke Hill played here, I doubt that Hill is the dynamic player he is now. That's telling.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 12:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When there is mismanagement...it's truly hard to judge where the issue is.

IF Ross played for KC and Tyreke Hill played here, I doubt that Hill is the dynamic player he is now. That's telling.

Yep. I think what has taken me too long to realize is that you need to be a freak of nature to stand out here.

Guys like AJ Green stand out to me because they are so freakishly talented, they can overcome coaching. It's like Whitworth. Blue chip guys who can make it happen anywhere.

The key to REALLY good teams is to make average to "good" players play above their level. We just don't do that. If you are on this team, and you aren't a special talent, you probably will play exactly to your level, or lower. 

Guys like Ross to me, would still be used so much differently with better coaching. I still think he has talent. Maybe not #9 overall talent, but I think he's a really dangerous weapon. 
Reply/Quote
Here I thought this was a thread about the Cody Core Fan Club after his TD on Sunday. Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 12:38 PM)thillan Wrote: Yep. I think what has taken me too long to realize is that you need to be a freak of nature to stand out here.

Guys like AJ Green stand out to me because they are so freakishly talented, they can overcome coaching. It's like Whitworth. Blue chip guys who can make it happen anywhere.

The key to REALLY good teams is to make average to "good" players play above their level. We just don't do that. If you are on this team, and you aren't a special talent, you probably will play exactly to your level, or lower. 

Guys like Ross to me, would still be used so much differently with better coaching. I still think he has talent. Maybe not #9 overall talent, but I think he's a really dangerous weapon. 

I used to defend the team through the 90's and 2000's...then at a certain point I just saw it as the mismanaged mess that it is.

It's not bad luck. It's mismanagement. What other management team keeps the same GM after 26+ years of now playoff wins? Yeah...None.
Reply/Quote