Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Core needs first team reps in game 3.
I really would like to see what this guy can do. He seems to be that reliable 3rd and short yard churner that we have been missing for quite some time. We hoped we would have it with Sanu, but he often didn't fill the role as well as we would have liked him to.

Brandon Tate has been great this preseason, which is going to make it real tough to watch him play this season knowing Core is on the bench. I like Tate, but how long can he keep it up? It would be interesting to see how well he could do in a full game... but its scary to even imagine such a scenario.

To me, AJ and Boyd have to start, and the third guy should be Core, but will be Tate.... (all of this because of Lafells absence).

How would you like things to shake out? Do you think the team will give Tate the nod over the newer guys?
Reply/Quote
I hear ya. I'd prefer Core as ell, but we both know that Marvin's going to view things in terms of Tate's having "earned his reps." And, to be fair, he has played pretty well so far. I think he knows that he'd be on the bubble if he didn't.

I thought it was interesting how hard McCarron worked to try to get the ball into Wright's hands tonight. He didn't have alot of success. He made one bad read, and two bad throws. But I think Wright is another guy who is going to make contributions on the 53 this year.

Kumerow seems to be fading. Maybe he'll see more action against the Jags or Colts.

Russell made a good catch at the goal line to set up Wenning's QB sneak.

Erickson just keeps on impressing. I'd like to see him get some reps with the 1s as well.

All in all, we have to be pretty impressed by these rookie WRs. A couple of good ones are going to get cut.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was so impressed by Core I literally had a brief brain fade where I thought "wait, is Core our 2nd round pick?"

Like I keep saying, Core was just overshadowed by Treadwell, but he has a lot of talent and can produce for us.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 04:05 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was so impressed by Core I literally had a brief brain fade where I thought "wait, is Core our 2nd round pick?"

Like I keep saying, Core was just overshadowed by Treadwell, but he has a lot of talent and can produce for us.

Core has looked good so far, but Boyd easily outshines him. I'm pretty excited to see if they can still look good when the season starts. If LaFell isn't ready to go by the start of the season we might actually see Core on the field week 1. They will probably have Tate as the #3 on the depth chart if LaFell can't play though.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 04:31 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Core has looked good so far, but Boyd easily outshines him. I'm pretty excited to see if they can still look good when the season starts. If LaFell isn't ready to go by the start of the season we might actually see Core on the field week 1. They will probably have Tate as the #3 on the depth chart if LaFell can't play though.

I know Boyd has but I'm saying that's just how good Core looked.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 04:31 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Core has looked good so far, but Boyd easily outshines him. I'm pretty excited to see if they can still look good when the season starts. If LaFell isn't ready to go by the start of the season we might actually see Core on the field week 1. They will probably have Tate as the #3 on the depth chart if LaFell can't play though.

Boyd just has a fluid, easy nature to his receptions and routes.  He is what one would call deceptively fast.  Core has the wheels to take the top off a defense.  I want to see Core at X, Boyd in slot, and AJ on the field at the same time...with Dalton at QB.

Send Core deep on three straight routes and see what happens underneath.  If they don't keep a guy back to cover him deep, take a shot.  I would like to see how Core does tracking a deep ball while outrunning a defender.
Reply/Quote
Core & Boyd have definitely impressed. Watching them both I'm not as concerned at the WR position as I was after Jones/Sanu left.

Hope I can say the same when the real thing starts.
Reply/Quote
I would also like to see Core a bit with the 1's earlier in the game week 3. I find myself getting excited about how well he has been doing so far, but have to remind myself that he's doing that well against a ton of DBs I've never heard of....
Reply/Quote
Agree, would like to see

More of Core

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Boyd just has a fluid, easy nature to his receptions and routes.  He is what one would call deceptively fast.  Core has the wheels to take the top off a defense.  I want to see Core at X, Boyd in slot, and AJ on the field at the same time...with Dalton at QB.

Send Core deep on three straight routes and see what happens underneath.  If they don't keep a guy back to cover him deep, take a shot.  I would like to see how Core does tracking a deep ball while outrunning a defender.

I want to see this too...

Btw, we've seen nothing from Kumerow in the two preseason games thus far, which is kind of surprising given how he was supposedly lighting it up through training camp. If he doesn't show something soon, he's going to end up back on the PS...or worse.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 01:33 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Brandon Tate has been great this preseason, which is going to make it real tough to watch him play this season knowing Core is on the bench. I like Tate, but how long can he keep it up? It would be interesting to see how well he could do in a full game... but its scary to even imagine such a scenario.

Tate has looked very good, but I think Core looks better making contested catches.  And when we're playing for real against good defenses Tate historically doesn't do well with the contested catch.  When he's open he makes great catches though. 

I want to see what Core does against the ones.  This would have been the game to do it, but I still want to see it.  Can he get separation?  Can he make the contested catch against top level DBs?

I would also like to see Erickson and Carson against ones.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 11:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I want to see this too...

Btw, we've seen nothing from Kumerow in the two preseason games thus far, which is kind of surprising given how he was supposedly lighting it up through training camp. If he doesn't show something soon, he's going to end up back on the PS...or worse.

I was just thinking about that i think he is still suffering from when he had that bad pulled hamstring couple weeks ago remember hes 6"5 sp maybe thats why its taking longer to heal? Idk he for sure needs to show up next 2 games thats for sure
Reply/Quote
It has pretty much been the consensus among fans that we want to see Core get a shot against some first stringers before the preseason is over. Make it happen Marv.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 04:05 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was so impressed by Core I literally had a brief brain fade where I thought "wait, is Core our 2nd round pick?"

I think I asked you this before, but what exactly do you mean that Treadwell overshadowed Core?  Treadwell was taken 176 picks and 18 WRs sooner than Core...don't most 1st round picks overshadow most 7th round picks or am I missing something specific here?  I can't say I follow college football so is there some specific connection between the two?  Seems like a 175-pick gap between them is more than overshadowing.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 03:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think I asked you this before, but what exactly do you mean that Treadwell overshadowed Core?  Treadwell was taken 176 picks and 18 WRs sooner than Core...don't most 1st round picks overshadow most 7th round picks or am I missing something specific here?  I can't say I follow college football so is there some specific connection between the two?  Seems like a 175-pick gap between them is more than overshadowing.

They played on the same team.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 03:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think I asked you this before, but what exactly do you mean that Treadwell overshadowed Core?  Treadwell was taken 176 picks and 18 WRs sooner than Core...don't most 1st round picks overshadow most 7th round picks or am I missing something specific here?  I can't say I follow college football so is there some specific connection between the two?  Seems like a 175-pick gap between them is more than overshadowing.

Played on the same team, so no one really paid attention to Core, and Treadwell got more looks from the QB, so Core didn't really get to show his abilities, and he was the #2 when he had abilities to be more of a #1 and even be a solid deep threat.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 03:30 AM)Brownshoe Wrote:  They played on the same team.

Ah I knew there had to be something to that.
Reply/Quote
Well the third game should give a good idea where he is going to fall on the roster and depth chart.

If he is taking snaps in the first half (barring injuries) he is climbing the ladder.
Reply/Quote
It sounds like Core may be working up to a Randy Moss-lite sort of a role this season. Truth be told that is precisely the type of role player that the O could use to open things up for the tall and shifty guys underneath.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 01:38 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: It sounds like Core may be working up to a Randy Moss-lite sort of a role this season. Truth be told that is precisely the type of role player that the O could use to open things up for the tall and shifty guys underneath.

Chris Henry 2.0
Reply/Quote