Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corey Davis
Just to be fair to Buckeyes420 who thinks for some reason I hate the kid, let's have a thread for him. I like the kid, I worry that a lot of his biggest plays came out of the slot against inferior defenders. He does posses good route running, I like that he comes back to the ball on curls, and even on under thrown go routes. I think he will be a good NFL WR, but I'd like to see him play "bigger" as he doesn't always look to play with the size he posses.

Here are my notes from his ball state game. I want to watch his Wisconsin game, but have only watched Ball State and Northwestern so far.

Route Break Down:
Bubble Screen, Post, Skinny Post, Out, Fade, Go, Slant.

On bubble screens shows good vision running after the catch, willing to take on defender. Runs slant with conviction pushing off outside foot to break on ball. Multiple go ball attempts (even with CB 9 yards off line beats them), does a good job coming back for the often under thrown ball one catch (over defenders back) one incompletion. runs curl route well coming out of break and working back to ball rather than sitting down, good run after catch. Post/skinny post appears to be favorite route of offense. Ran mainly out of the slot, gets good separation, can sell the out then break back inside one concentration drop. Ran outs from the slot because defender in both cases was playing off as to not get beat inside on aforementioned post, Easy catches on defender but rounded off the top of one attempt. Willing blocker uses hands well to drive defender, attempts to finish off blocks.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 11:53 AM)Au165 Wrote: Just to be fair to Buckeyes420 who thinks for some reason I hate the kid, let's have a thread for him. I like the kid, I worry that a lot of his biggest plays came out of the slot against inferior defenders. He does posses good route running, I like that he comes back to the ball on curls, and even on under thrown go routes.  I think he will be a good NFL WR, but I'd like to see him play "bigger" as he doesn't always look to play with the size he posses.

Here are my notes from his ball state game. I want to watch his Wisconsin game, but have only watched Ball State and Northwestern so far.

Route Break Down:

On bubble screens shows good vision running after the catch, willing to take on defender. Runs slant with conviction pushing off outside foot to break on ball. Multiple go ball attempts (even with CB 9 yards off line beats them), does a good job coming back for the often under thrown ball one catch (over defenders back) one incompletion. runs curl route well coming out of break and working back to ball rather than sitting down, good run after catch. Post/skinny post appears to be favorite route of offense. Ran mainly out of the slot, gets good separation, can sell the out then break back inside one concentration drop. Ran outs from the slot because defender in both cases was playing off as to not get beat inside on aforementioned post, Easy catches on defender but rounded off the top of one attempt. Willing blocker uses hands well to drive defender, attempts to finish off blocks.

I love this kid. He has a Keenan Allen written all over him, maybe with a little more speed. He has great, big hands and high points it well. I wouldn't mind him or Williams at 9. Either one would allow us to take pressure off AJ. Now if we can get Dalton to find others while AJ is on the field is the real question. 
Reply/Quote
I really think it will be an interesting battle here who comes off the board first. I am leaning toward Williams but the combine and workouts could affect my decision. One thing I believe... After Williams got crushed in the helmet during the National Championship game, his neck is probably ok and healed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I love him.He is always creating more yards after catch.He turns a routine 5 yard in to an 80yd td.in fairness to au165 im going to re evaluate Williams when i get home from work.Maybe i have missed it but im gonna go back with an open mind.i really think that williams is a thicker Dwayne Jarrett
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 11:53 AM)Au165 Wrote: Just to be fair to Buckeyes420 who thinks for some reason I hate the kid, let's have a thread for him. I like the kid, I worry that a lot of his biggest plays came out of the slot against inferior defenders. He does posses good route running, I like that he comes back to the ball on curls, and even on under thrown go routes. I think he will be a good NFL WR, but I'd like to see him play "bigger" as he doesn't always look to play with the size he posses.

Route Break Down:

Yeah he surprised me a Lot more than I thought he would. His vision after the catch I would compare to obj. His Wisconsin game was really good as well actually saw him make catches with corner on him. Only problem and it's why I'm very interested in senior bowl is he hasn't gone up against a corner that's got the length height and speed to stay with him. Wisconsin has good corners but the tallest corner is like 5"10". I would be very happy with either receiver. That zig in and out route is his money maker.
(01-13-2017, 01:40 PM)dr1441 Wrote: I love this kid. He has a Keenan Allen written all over him, maybe with a little more speed. He has great, big hands and high points it well. I wouldn't mind him or Williams at 9. Either one would allow us to take pressure off AJ. Now if we can get Dalton to find others while AJ is on the field is the real question. 
Well that would be lafell fault. Dude gave up on plays way to easily didn't go up for balls at all. As far as Kennan Allen that comparison has already been made a lot to Williams he is like Kennan Allen 2.0. I would say Davis is more like micheal Thomas.(who I wanted last year)
(01-13-2017, 04:38 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: I love him.He is always creating more yards after catch.He turns a routine 5 yard in to an 80yd td.in fairness to au165 im going to re evaluate Williams when i get home from work.Maybe i have missed it but im gonna go back with an open mind.i really think that williams is a thicker Dwayne Jarrett
I have been changing my mind quick about Davis.had him middle second now he's middle first for me. Only thing holding me back is wanna see a corner with height and length. After watching 8 games of his now his yac vision is comparable to obj. I think a good comparison to him is last year's rookie who I loved in Micheal Thomas. I've come to the conclusion that i wouldn't mind either. You have aj green who gets all his yards before the catch you could have Davis on the other side who gets a bunch of yards after the catch. But then you got Williams who is as good as aj in catching 50/50 balls. He has the frame of megatron. I could see him just out muscling cbs. If he runs a 4.4 40 at 225? Man but as I said I think Davis is like Thomas the most NFL ready as far as route running and would not mind Davis either. Just waiting to senior bowl if he's able to get separation against 6"1 200 pound corners he will be in top 10 for me.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 06:09 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Yeah he surprised me  a Lot more than I thought he would. His vision after the catch I would compare to obj. His Wisconsin game was really good as well actually saw him make catches with corner on him. Only problem and it's why I'm very interested in senior bowl is he hasn't gone up against a corner that's got the length height and speed to stay with him. Wisconsin has good corners but the tallest corner is like 5"10". I would be very happy with either receiver. That zig in and out route is his money maker.
Well that would be lafell fault. Dude gave up on plays way to easily didn't go up for balls at all. As far as Kennan Allen that comparison has already been made a lot to Williams he is like Kennan Allen 2.0. I would say Davis is more like micheal Thomas.(who I wanted last year)
I have been changing my mind quick about Davis.had him middle second now he's middle first for me. Only thing holding me back is wanna see a corner with height and length. After watching 8 games of his now his yac vision is comparable to obj. I think a good comparison to him is last year's rookie who I loved in Micheal Thomas. I've come to the conclusion that i wouldn't mind either. You have aj green who gets all his yards before the catch you could have Davis on the other side who gets a bunch of yards after the catch. But then you got Williams who is as good as aj in catching 50/50 balls. He has the frame of megatron. I could see him just out muscling cbs. If he runs a 4.4 40 at 225? Man but as I said I think Davis is like Thomas the most NFL ready as far as route running and would not mind Davis either. Just waiting to senior bowl if he's able to get separation against 6"1 200 pound corners he will be in top 10 for me.
Do u live in dayton cincy area jpoore?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 01:20 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: Do u live in dayton cincy area jpoore?

Columbus 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 01:40 PM)dr1441 Wrote: I love this kid. He has a Keenan Allen written all over him, maybe with a little more speed. He has great, big hands and high points it well. I wouldn't mind him or Williams at 9. Either one would allow us to take pressure off AJ. Now if we can get Dalton to find others while AJ is on the field is the real question. 

I like Davis but I don't see him going in the first. I think Williams may be the only WR to get drafted in first.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 09:22 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Columbus 

Im wanting to have a draft party for the boards.i live in dayton and its wuld like to start planning for it now .
Reply/Quote
Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 10m10 minutes ago

Corey Davis underwent minor ankle surgery, won't run at combine, will be ready for rookie minicamp. Injury described "as extremely minor."

That is unfortunate.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 02:22 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I like Davis but I don't see him going in the first. I think Williams may be the only WR to get drafted in first.

I would take him at 9 in a heartbeat, Williams doesn't get enough separation for me, Davis is a absolute beast, excellent size, speed, YAC is ridiculous,  and Davis with Green and Boyd and Eifert, can you say unstoppable. He is a man amongst boyz, He draws double and triple coverage on certain plays, Give me Davis over Reuben and Thomas anyday.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 05:24 AM)bengaltruth Wrote: I would take him at 9 in a heartbeat, Williams doesn't get enough separation for me,  Davis is a absolute beast, excellent size, speed, YAC is ridiculous,  and Davis with Green and Boyd and Eifert, can you say unstoppable. He is a man amongst boyz, He draws double and triple coverage on certain plays, Give me Davis over Reuben and Thomas anyday.
While I'm with you that I would take Davis over Thomas and ruebon any day, I would take Williams over Davis. He has done it against elite  while Davis has not. I was really looking forward to senior bowl to see what he could do against legit competition but he was injured. I like Williams due to his big play ability. Watch what he does when the ball is in the air that's where he makes his money. He doesn't get separation early like a normal receiver but he is better than anyone I've ever seen at getting late separation.I think a accurate player comp to Corey Davis would be Jarvis Landry. I think mike williams player comp is Keenan Allen. Both will be great players in the NFL for the next 10 years but I give the slightest of edge to Mike Williams. Williams knock is some people think he's really slow. He's not if he runs a 4.48-4.52 grab him no doubt. But I can also see the argument for Davis. Just concerned by lack of competition. 
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 05:35 AM)Jpoore Wrote: While I'm with you that I would take Davis over Thomas and ruebon any day, I would take Williams over Davis. He has done it against elite  while Davis has not. I was really looking forward to senior bowl to see what he could do against legit competition but he was injured. I like Williams due to his big play ability. Watch what he does when the ball is in the air that's where he makes his money. He doesn't get separation early like a normal receiver but he is better than anyone I've ever seen at getting late separation.I think a accurate player comp to Corey Davis would be Jarvis Landry. I think mike williams player comp is Keenan Allen. Both will be great players in the NFL for the next 10 years but I give the slightest of edge to Mike Williams. Williams knock is some people think he's really slow. He's not if he runs a 4.48-4.52 grab him no doubt. But I can also see the argument for Davis. Just concerned by lack of competition. 

Lack of competition never hurt Antonio Brown and so many other smaller school WR's...and the thing about Davis is he put up big numbers for 4 YEARS. Williams had 1 good year and thats it. I'd take Davis over Williams anyday of the week.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 06:23 AM)pulses Wrote: Lack of competition never hurt Antonio Brown and so many other smaller school WR's...and the thing about Davis is he put up big numbers for 4 YEARS. Williams had 1 good year and thats it. I'd take Davis over Williams anyday of the week.

As a Sophmore he put up over 1,000 yards? He had almost 2500 yards in 2 full seasons. And how many small school wrs have failed as well?? As I said Williams is better at getting late separation and compared to Keenan Allen so i give him the slight edge. 
Reply/Quote
imo best receiver in draft, but i think the last thing we need to worry about is receiver. We need a better run game, we need to solidify our lines and fix LB core. WR is the last thing im worried about.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 06:23 AM)pulses Wrote: Lack of competition never hurt Antonio Brown and so many other smaller school WR's...and the thing about Davis is he put up big numbers for 4 YEARS. Williams had 1 good year and thats it. I'd take Davis over Williams anyday of the week.

I would expect Davis to have better stats early in his career.  At a small school, he was a man amongst boys and didn't have any where near as much competition for playing time or touches.

I like Davis, but small school WR's tend to struggle early on adapting to the NFL.  Brown is great, but did nothing his first year.  The learning curve is steeper.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 11:39 AM)Okeana Wrote: imo best receiver in draft, but i think the last thing we need to worry about is receiver.  We need a better run game, we need to solidify our lines and fix LB core.  WR is the last thing im worried about.

I agree, But you cant tell me Corey Davis, Boyd, Eifert and Green, doesn't get you excited? I don't think the bengals are interested in fixing the run game, if they were they would have replaced Bodine and benched Hill a long time ago. LB is easy fix cut Rey M. and sighn Jabaal Sheard, or Hightower or any YOUNG lb that can cover.
Reply/Quote