Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
(07-16-2020, 05:24 PM)Earendil Wrote: My brother-in-law's sister just had a gender reveal party with 80 people and no masks, distancing, etc... Rolleyes

What gender was she?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What gender was she?

Hilarious

The baby is a boy.
Reply/Quote
Kemp is suing the Mayor of Atlanta for requiring masks...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 09:38 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Kemp is suing the Mayor of Atlanta for requiring masks...

Great. How much money will they waste on the court battle?
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 09:55 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Great. How much money will they waste on the court battle?

I'm not sure, but I'm sure it could pay for a lot of masks. 

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 09:38 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Kemp is suing the Mayor of Atlanta for requiring masks...

Same in Kentucky. The AG got a restraining order against the governor's executive orders, which included mask wearing. It's going to the state supreme court.

But that's probably going to be the norm. Cameron's a good guy from what I've read, but he's trying to make a name for himself. So anything the governor does the next few years, it's likely going to end up in court. I heard he was considering making an issue out of the governor using state funds to build a fence around his residence (which is in response to armed protestors outside his kids window while an effigy of the guy was strung up).
Reply/Quote

(07-17-2020, 03:19 AM)Benton Wrote: Same in Kentucky. The AG got a restraining order against the governor's executive orders, which included mask wearing. It's going to the state supreme court.

But that's probably going to be the norm. Cameron's a good guy from what I've read, but he's trying to make a name for himself. So anything the governor does the next few years, it's likely going to end up in court. I heard he was considering making an issue out of the governor using state funds to build a fence around his residence (which is in response to armed protestors outside his kids window while an effigy of the guy was strung up).

This may seem like a position contrary to my positions on the virus, but I do have to say that I'm okay with challenges to orders. I want to be clear in saying that everyone should be wearing their masks, but I think it's important that governments govern within the boundaries set for them in the law. And while I would love for the anti-maskers to get their comeuppance in court, if they succeed then I hope that it shines a light on the flaws in our governmental system so that it can be remedied.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 07:18 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This may seem like a position contrary to my positions on the virus, but I do have to say that I'm okay with challenges to orders. I want to be clear in saying that everyone should be wearing their masks, but I think it's important that governments govern within the boundaries set for them in the law. And while I would love for the anti-maskers to get their comeuppance in court, if they succeed then I hope that it shines a light on the flaws in our governmental system so that it can be remedied.

I agree,  there is a saying in the legal profession that "Bad facts make bad law".  Sometimes courts try to manipulate the rule of law because someone is so obviously guilty that the facts require a conviction.  But down the road it is actually a bad precedent when applied to all facts.

We have to be very careful about bending the rules just because the cause seems to demand it.

**Seems funny writing this post above my new sig**
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 07:18 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This may seem like a position contrary to my positions on the virus, but I do have to say that I'm okay with challenges to orders. I want to be clear in saying that everyone should be wearing their masks, but I think it's important that governments govern within the boundaries set for them in the law. And while I would love for the anti-maskers to get their comeuppance in court, if they succeed then I hope that it shines a light on the flaws in our governmental system so that it can be remedied.

Which is a fine position to take when it doesn't impact your health. Unfortunately, though, this will cause people to die. 

Reply/Quote

I wouldnt disagree if there wasn't so obviously a political issue without regard for public safety. We've had executive orders without consultation of the Senate before (Cameron's  argument is the executive orders are overreach because he only consulted doctors, not the Senate). 

Edit to add: our state legislature (which is republican on both sides) did a good job at least early on as far as meeting and passing legislation to help. Since it became a political issue, they've fallen off some, which is unfortunate.
Reply/Quote
Here in Tennessee the governor has "emergency powers" that allow him to suspend the enforcement of existing laws for public safety or security, but when he tried to authorize a regulation requiring masks the legislature balked because that is creating a new law instead of suspending an existing one.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 11:20 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Which is a fine position to take when it doesn't impact your health. Unfortunately, though, this will cause people to die. 

I agree, and it is very unfortunate. I am a high risk individual, myself, and grumble at those ignoring the orders in Virginia. But I would still welcome a challenge to Northam's orders if there were grounds for them.

(07-17-2020, 01:28 PM)Benton Wrote: I wouldnt disagree if there wasn't so obviously a political issue without regard for public safety. We've had executive orders without consultation of the Senate before (Cameron's  argument is the executive orders are overreach because he only consulted doctors, not the Senate). 

Edit to add: our state legislature (which is republican on both sides) did a good job at least early on as far as meeting and passing legislation to help. Since it became a political issue, they've fallen off some, which is unfortunate.

Yeah, the politics of it is asinine.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 02:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree, and it is very unfortunate. I am a high risk individual, myself, and grumble at those ignoring the orders in Virginia. But I would still welcome a challenge to Northam's orders if there were grounds for them.

Yeah, the politics of it is asinine.

the unfortunate reality that we need the courts to step in to enforce the most basic thing we can do to end this pandemic. 

Reply/Quote
Why am I required by law to have auto insurance?
Reply/Quote
Anyone see this?

https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-lt-andrew-whitworth-family-all-tested-positive-for-covid-19
Reply/Quote
I have little doubt that the first Wednesday in November, this will all be much better
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 03:19 AM)Benton Wrote: Same in Kentucky. The AG got a restraining order against the governor's executive orders, which included mask wearing. It's going to the state supreme court.

I thought I heard today that the State Supreme Court unanimously shot down Cameron's efforts today.
Reply/Quote
Going forward, I won't trust much what comes of WHO. In terms of handling Covid, they get a failing grade.

But I will trust what Thailand recommends. Amazing job what they have done from the get go. The first Covid case outside of China was there, but they were able to do an excellent job in the months afterwards. As WHO and our government officials initially said masks weren't effective against Covid, Thailand just ignored WHO as close to 95% of the people there have been wearing masks since January generally speaking. Even reports that newborn babies have little face shields as their mothers wear a mask. They used sanitizers as well, which again the WHO didnt recommended for "environmental concerns". As a result along with tracers and testing and other methods, Thailand has recorded only 58 deaths so far.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389341
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 11:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have little doubt that the first Wednesday in November, this will all be much better

I know you're being facetious, but I am seriously picturing some of the morons that exist on the left stepping out on that day (if Biden wins), taking off their mask and just looking up at the sky. Then, they proceed to skip around their town and then end up in the hospital with COVID. I know that occurrence of this would be less than zero, which is stupid.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 11:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have little doubt that the first Wednesday in November, this will all be much better

What will be?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote