Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coronavirus Vaccine Question
I'm seeing all of these other countries that are in the final stages of developing a vaccine for the coronavirus (China, South Korea, England, etc) and the United States won't have a vaccine until December at the earliest, if ever, because of all of the stages of testing and development that it has to go through to determine safety and effectiveness.

My question is, if one of these other countries develops a vaccine, will it come to America without having to go through the months of testing and everything?

Will we just watch the other countries for a bit and make sure that no problems pop-up right away before we allow it to be distributed in the US? How long would we wait?

Mods: Sorry if this should go in the big thread but I just figured that was for other discussion and this could have its own thread. Feel free to move it (like you need my permission Hilarious ).
US companies are on this pace too:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/11/moderna-set-to-start-final-stage-trial-of-its-coronavirus-vaccine-by-july/

Moderna began final clinical trials this month and Johnson & Johnson will next month. These trials will include thousands of people (30,000 for Moderna) and they will have to wait and see if they catch the virus, which will be a slower process as the spread slows down in the summer. You then have to start large scale manufacturing if it was truly successful. That's why it likely won't be available for the public for many months. Moderna is hoping to have it ready and approved to give to healthcare workers in the fall.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This is a whole new ball game, but aren't most medical advancements a combination of American, European, and other countries? This being a global issue is likely to help that cause along, but I also think a lot of the USA's medical wizardry comes from immigrants....er, right? This is a pretty deep subject, I'd wager.
(06-24-2020, 08:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm seeing all of these other countries that are in the final stages of developing a vaccine for the coronavirus (China, South Korea, England, etc) and the United States won't have a vaccine until December at the earliest, if ever, because of all of the stages of testing and development that it has to go through to determine safety and effectiveness.

My question is, if one of these other countries develops a vaccine, will it come to America without having to go through the months of testing and everything?

Will we just watch the other countries for a bit and make sure that no problems pop-up right away before we allow it to be distributed in the US? How long would we wait?

Mods: Sorry if this should go in the big thread but I just figured that was for other discussion and this could have its own thread. Feel free to move it (like you need my permission Hilarious ).

Historically, I would say this is true. The approval process takes a more conservative approach in the US compared to Europe.

Research thalidomide babies and you’ll learn why.
(06-24-2020, 11:49 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Historically, I would say this is true. The approval process takes a more conservative approach in the US compared to Europe.

Research thalidomide babies and you’ll learn why.

I can't be the only person my age who only knows about this because of Billy Joel's 1989 hit, We Didn't Start the Fire. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Oldham_Kelsey

I did not know there was a Cincinnati connection to this story . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/science/frances-oldham-kelsey-fda-doctor-who-exposed-danger-of-thalidomide-dies-at-101.html?_r=0

I’d also like to point out she was an immigrant.
(06-24-2020, 11:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't be the only person my age who only knows about this because of Billy Joel's 1989 hit, We Didn't Start the Fire. 

LOL

Probably not since the US was spared thanks to the work of the FDA.
(06-24-2020, 11:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't be the only person my age who only knows about this because of Billy Joel's 1989 hit, We Didn't Start the Fire. 

First CD I bought for my first portable CD player/boom box.

I was in college.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
(06-25-2020, 10:16 AM)GMDino Wrote: First CD I bought for my first portable CD player/boom box.

I was in college.

Nice.  I bought both Storm Front and River of Dreams right when each came out.  I'm so lame-o.  To this day I think I've only listened to When in Rome the whole way through twice. 

But anyways, if Trump is still in office or tweeting as the "real president" if he isn't when the vaccine is finished is he going to tell people to not get it?
(06-25-2020, 10:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Nice.  I bought both Storm Front and River of Dreams right when each came out.  I'm so lame-o.  To this day I think I've only listened to When in Rome the whole way through twice. 

But anyways, if Trump is still in office or tweeting as the "real president" if he isn't when the vaccine is finished is he going to tell people to not get it?

I'm a huge Billy Joel fan.  Multiple concerts and all the CD's/Albums.

But Trump will claim Ivanka and Jared came up with it and Brand it Trump Vaccine. Smirk
You mask is slipping.
(06-25-2020, 11:22 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm a huge Billy Joel fan.  Multiple concerts and all the CD's/Albums.

But Trump will claim Ivanka and Jared came up with it and Brand it Trump Vaccine. Smirk

Nice.  I saw him twice and sang "You're My Home" for a college vocal performance course. Good ol liberals arts college!

But will Trump tell people the vaccine is poison?
(06-25-2020, 11:24 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Nice.  I saw him twice and sang "You're My Home" for a college vocal performance.  Good ol liberals arts college!

But will Trump tell people the vaccine is poison?

He'll tell them his administration did AMAZING things and got them this FANTASTIC, truly, many people say, vaccine.

And it will be in direct opposition to everything he said about the virus.

And his people won't care because they have the ability to believe everything he says no matter how it contradicts itself.
You mask is slipping.
(06-25-2020, 11:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: He'll tell them his administration did AMAZING things and got them this FANTASTIC, truly, many people say, vaccine.

And it will be in direct opposition to everything he said about the virus.

And his people won't care because they have the ability to believe everything he says no matter how it contradicts itself.

I guess.  There will be 0 cases and it'll disappear like a miracle to a quarter of a million people died according to the lying media and here is a vaccine for a virus that might not even exist. 
The question is " I'd rather see other people die than americans before I would test it in case it isn't working" ? Am I correct ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(06-25-2020, 12:27 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: The question is " I'd rather see other people die than americans before I would test it in case it isn't working" ? Am I correct ?

I'd rather see Americans die than wear a mask but I'd hate to risk american lives on an untested vaccine to prevent what I'm carelessly spreading.
I can see the lawyer commercials already.

“Did you get the corona vaccine and end up with liver failure, kidney failure, fingernail cancer, or frog legs growing out of your nut sack? If so you are eligible for substantial compensation. Call us now at 1800suethem”

Time seems like a really crucial factor when it comes to testing and developing these things. I just question the safety of one that is rushed out. Of course we do now haves decades of advanced medicine to guide us through this process. So hopefully we get it right. I’m just not going to be one of the first ones playing human guinea pig.
(06-24-2020, 11:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Oldham_Kelsey

Quote:Frances Kathleen Oldham Kelsey, CM (July 24, 1914 – August 7, 2015) was a Canadian-born...
... Born in Cobble Hill, British Columbia,[3] Kelsey attended St. Margaret's School in the provincial capital, graduating at age 15.[4] From 1930–1931, she attended Victoria College (now University of Victoria). She then enrolled at McGill University, where she received both a B.Sc.(1934) and a M.Sc.(1935) in pharmacology.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool 

McGill is a the medical powerhouse university, up here; good to know they've been like that for a century (or longer).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(06-25-2020, 01:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool 

McGill is a the medical powerhouse university, up here; good to know they've been like that for a century (or longer).

You guys just prescribe maple syrup and hockey...im onto you. 
(06-25-2020, 02:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You guys just prescribe maple syrup and hockey...im onto you. 

LOL

While many on here know I despise hockey to death, Maple is actually my favourite sweet flavour, by a significant margin.

I can have maple syrup, maple butter, maple cookies, maple ANYTHING, every day for the rest of my life and never get sick of it.

In terms of the actual vaccine, btw, there hasn't been a whole slew of talk yet up here, but I'll be welcoming it as soon as it becomes available; I figure it'll be like another flu-shot-type thing but even then, I may have had it and are Asymptomatic.

I'm looking forward to it coming out!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(06-25-2020, 03:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LOL

While many on here know I despise hockey to death, Maple is actually my favourite sweet flavour, by a significant margin.

I can have maple syrup, maple butter, maple cookies, maple ANYTHING, every day for the rest of my life and never get sick of it.

In terms of the actual vaccine, btw, there hasn't been a whole slew of talk yet up here, but I'll be welcoming it as soon as it becomes available; I figure it'll be like another flu-shot-type thing but even then, I may have had it and are Asymptomatic.

I'm looking forward to it coming out!

I hope they find a way to get the CFL going.  I should be gearing up for another Stamps victory now!