Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coronavirus
Part II for the uneducated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubella

Quote:History[edit]

See also: Eradication of infectious diseases § Rubella
Rubella was first described in the mid-eighteenth century. Friedrich Hoffmann made the first clinical description of rubella in 1740,[41] which was confirmed by de Bergen in 1752 and Orlow in 1758.[42]

In 1814, George de Maton first suggested that it be considered a disease distinct from both measles and scarlet fever. All these physicians were German, and the disease was known as Rötheln (contemporary German Röteln), Rötlich means "redish" or "pink" in German. The fact that three Germans described it led to the common name of "German measles." Another theory is that the name stems from the similarity of the disease symptoms to those of measles. Hence, originally 'germane' measles in the meaning of the word germane as akin to or like (measles).[43] Henry Veale, an English Royal Artillery surgeon, described an outbreak in India. He coined the name "rubella" (from the Latin word, meaning "little red") in 1866.[41][44][45][46]

It was formally recognised as an individual entity in 1881, at the International Congress of Medicine in London.[47] In 1914, Alfred Fabian Hess theorised that rubella was caused by a virus, based on work with monkeys.[48] In 1938, Hiro and Tosaka confirmed this by passing the disease to children using filtered nasal washings from acute cases.[45]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubella#cite_note-cdc-45][/url]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Anything on West Nile and Ebola?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-24-2020, 10:15 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Anything on West Nile and Ebola?

I did not know that Google didn't work in some parts of the country.   Smirk

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Nile_virus

Quote:West Nile Virus (WNV) is a virus that belongs to the genus Flavivirus. It causes an infectious disease called "West Nile virus disease" or just "West Nile virus."[1] WNV mainly infects birds, but it can also infect humans, horsesdogsbatscatsreptiles,[2][3] and amphibians.[1]

West Nile virus is spread by mosquitoes, who get the virus from birds. If a mosquito bites a bird that has WNV, and then bites a human, that person can get West Nile Virus.[1]

West Nile virus was first discovered in 1937, in the West Nile area of Uganda, in East Africa.[1] (This is how the virus got its name.) However, before the 1990s, there were very few cases of WNV. Then there was an outbreak in Algeria in 1994 and another in Romania in 1996.[1] By 2004, the virus had spread to North America,[4] the Caribbean islands, and Latin America. It continues to spread through AfricaAsiaAustraliaEurope, the Middle EastCanada, and the United States.[4] In 2012, one of the worst West Nile virus epidemics yet happened in the United States; 286 people died.[5][6]
[/url]
So it is named after the region...it not called the "Uganda Virus".

And I'm glad you brought Ebola.

[url=https://www.livescience.com/48234-how-ebola-got-its-name.html]https://www.livescience.com/48234-how-ebola-got-its-name.html

Quote:The story of how Ebola got its name is short and somewhat random, according to Piot's account in his book. Late one night, the group of scientists discussed over Kentucky bourbon what the virus they were hunting should be named.

The virus had surfaced in a village called Yambuku, so it could be named after the village, argued one team member, Dr. Pierre Sureau, of the Institut Pasteur in France, Piot recalls.

But naming the virus Yambuku would run the risk of stigmatizing the village, said another scientist, Dr. Joel Breman, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This had happened before, for example, in the case of Lassa virus, which emerged in the town of Lassa in Nigeria in 1969.

It was Karl Johnson, another researcher from the CDC, and the leader of the research team, who suggested naming the virus after a river, to tone down the emphasis on a particular place.

One obvious option would have been the Congo River, which is the deepest river in the world and flows through the country and its rainforest. But there was a problem—another virus with a similar name already existed. That virus was the Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus.

So the scientists looked at a small map, pinned up on the wall, for any other rivers near Yambuku. On the map, it appeared that the closest river to Yambuku was called Ebola, meaning "Black River," in the local language Lingala.

"It seemed suitably ominous," Piot writes.

However, the map was inaccurate, and the Ebola river turned out not to be the closest river to Yambuku, Piot says.  

"But in our entirely fatigued state, that's what we ended up calling the virus: Ebola."

And so Ebola joined the list of viruses named after rivers. Other members include the mosquito-borne Ross river virus, which causes a debilitating infection and is named after a river in northern Queensland in Australia, and the Machupo virus, which causes Bolivian hemorrhagic fever, or "black typhus," and is named after a Bolivian river.

Many other viruses, too, have been named after a feature of their place of origin, including West Nile virus discovered in 1937, coxsackievirus discovered in 1948 (Coxsackie is a town in New York), Marburg virus discovered in 1967 (Marburg is a town in Germany), and Hendra virus identified 1994 (Hendra is a suburb of Brisbane, Australia).

None of them, not one uses the name of the place that also refers to the ethnicity of people living there.

And I'll add (again) everyone knows what the Coronavirus is, or COVID-19, is.  There is zero reason, none to anyone let alone the POTUS to refer to it as the "Chinese Virus" (other than to distract from his previous statements about how it was nothing and it would be gone soon).
I'll add that I never understood why people say racist or pseudo-racist things when they don't have too and then fight to find a "good reason" why they should be permitted to say them all while saying they are racist.

Just own it.

Even Trump admits he does it out of spite because someone told him that someone tried to say it started with US Troops in china.  But he's a thin skinned, low information fool.  I didn't think there was that many more people in the US like that.  I probably shouldn't be surprised.
I read, and who knows what's right, that the Senate Republicans agreed to four months full pay unemployment. I mean that's pretty big if it's true.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-24-2020, 10:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'll add that I never understood why people say racist or pseudo-racist things when they don't have too and then fight to find a "good reason" why they should be permitted to say them all while saying they are racist.

Just own it.

Even Trump admits he does it out of spite because someone told him that someone tried to say it started with US Troops in china.  But he's a thin skinned, low information fool.  I didn't think there was that many more people in the US like that.  I probably shouldn't be surprised.

I know why he says it, and it's well-deserved in my opinion.  As far as I can tell they botched it far worse than Trump did.  The defense of China by some on the left is as bad as the defense of Russia by some on the right. But I guess we can start calling it the Yangtze Virus.

(03-24-2020, 08:06 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well I see Pelosi is being her usual helpful self.

1 $300 million for public broadcasting. 
2 New tax credits for solar and wind energy. 
3 New emissions standards for airlines as well as the Requirement for full carbon offset by 2025. 
4 Requiring same-day voter registration and early voting for certain localities. 
5 Bailouts for the U.S. Postal Service, the union pension fund and student loans. 
6 Retirement plans for community newspaper employees. 
7 The requirement to publish corporate pay statistics by race, and race statistics. 
8 $1 billion “Cash for Clunkers”-style program where the government buys planes from airlines. 
8 $1.5 million to study climate change mitigation efforts in civil aviation and aerospace industries. 
10 New OSHA requirements on hospitals. 
11 $1 billion to provide discounted phone service for low-income consumers; a to program expanded by President Obama.

Some of what I read this morning. 
(03-24-2020, 10:36 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: 1 $300 million for public broadcasting. 
3 New emissions standards for airlines as well as the Requirement for full carbon offset by 2025. 
4 Requiring same-day voter registration and early voting for certain localities. 
5 Bailouts for the U.S. Postal Service, the union pension fund and student loans. 
7 The requirement to publish corporate pay statistics by race, and race statistics. 
8 $1 billion “Cash for Clunkers”-style program where the government buys planes from airlines. 
8 $1.5 million to study climate change mitigation efforts in civil aviation and aerospace industries. 
11 $1 billion to provide discounted phone service for low-income consumers; a to program expanded by President Obama.

Didn't even see that part.  I could squeeze a couple of those in maybe, but also a lot of BS.  Nothing like many of those should be in any plan proposed.  

(03-24-2020, 10:34 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I know why he says it, and it's well-deserved in my opinion.  As far as I can tell they botched it far worse than Trump did.  The defense of China by some on the left is as bad as the defense of Russia by some on the right.  But I guess we can start calling it the Yangtze Virus.

Who on the "left" is defending China's handling of it?

They denied it was a problem. So did Trump.

The tried to hide the numbers.  So did Trump.

Then they aggressively quarantined and built hospitals and went to work on taking care of the problem.  So did...uh...well we're still waiting on that here.

But if someone REALLY just wants to find a foreign country to "blame" than it would be the "China" Virus.  Not the "Chinese" Virus.
(03-24-2020, 10:36 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: 1 $300 million for public broadcasting. 

Source?

I searched for the first one and all I got was a conservative podcast in the last 24 hours.

And are people still calling them "Obama phones"? Does no one study history and just spout talking points?
Smirk  I did not know that Google didn't work in some parts of the country.
(03-24-2020, 11:02 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Smirk  I did not know that Google didn't work in some parts of the country.

I did google it...it brought me to one conservative podcast with no sources.

Smirk

Edit: Still looking for anything in the last week that lists these and there's nothing so I'm gonna call BS.
Let's go with a reputable source on what is actually in the House bill: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/house-democrats-stimulus-senate-coronavirus-145388
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-24-2020, 11:23 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Let's go with a reputable source on what is actually in the House bill:  https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/house-democrats-stimulus-senate-coronavirus-145388

I think the House should just let the Senate finish up their bill, and then negotiate that.  

(03-24-2020, 11:23 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Let's go with a reputable source on what is actually in the House bill:  https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/house-democrats-stimulus-senate-coronavirus-145388

Matt that doesn't show where where Pelosi is being a shrill monster.  Ninja

Nor do I see anywhere the items listed by mason.  Weird.  Mellow
(03-24-2020, 11:26 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I think the House should just let the Senate finish up their bill, and then negotiate that.  

Eh, I'm not for that. The quicker solution is for both chambers to pass their own versions and come together in conference to hammer out differences.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-24-2020, 11:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: Matt that doesn't show where where Pelosi is being a shrill monster.  Ninja

Quote:Other Matters. 
Quote:The bill does, however, finish up with about 50 pages of "other matters."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2020/03/24/you-thought-the-senate-stimulus-bill-was-huge-house-hold-my-beer/#356186943ceb

"Other Matters. The bill does, however, finish up with about 50 pages of 'other matters.'

As before, keep in mind that this is just a proposal - and it's my first read of the bill (so please don't send angry emails). It's long: did I mention that? And it’s super, super dense. I slogged through as best I could. And here's my takeaway: This isn't getting through the House and the Senate. So, take this summary with a grain of salt and please (please) don't run out and spend that stimulus check that you don't yet have in hand. "

I'm thinking "other matters" would be where you find that stuff if it exists.

(03-24-2020, 11:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: Matt that doesn't show where where Pelosi is being a shrill monster.  Ninja

Some of them are there, but context is given for them.

(03-24-2020, 11:45 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, I'm not for that. The quicker solution is for both chambers to pass their own versions and come together in conference to hammer out differences.

I guess it doesn't work this way, but in case of an emergency like this, I'm going to assume that since both parties had to agree in the Senate, that it's a fairly even bill and run with that with maybe a few changes.  The hard work will have been done already.

Not gonna matter folks.

DJT will tell eveyone to go back to normal and his minions will.

Meanwhile individual states will have restrictions that will cause fights because we can't do business while competitors can.

But when you elect a man who thinks he knows business...and that's all he knows...it is money over people.

A few may die, but as long as he can save the economy in time for his re-election he will consider it worthwhile.