Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Could Be Last Game For These Bengals
It's time to blow it up and rebuild. Here are players that hit the open market. I think Bengals should let them go and apply the money in rebuilding. Tyler Eifert 5.5 million. Michael Johnson 4.7 million. Preston Brown 4 million. Vincent Rey 3.5 million. Cedrick Ogbuehi 2.3 million. Darqueze Dennard 2 million. Jake Fisher 1 million. Bobby Hart 1 million. Andre Smith 900 thousand. Kaim Edebali 800 thousand. Tom Savage 800 thousand. Tyler Kroft 700 thousand. Matt Lengle 600 thousand. CJ Uzomah 600 thousand. Adolphus Washington 500 thousand. Josh Tupou 500 thousand. Trey Hopkins 500 thousand. Tony McRae 500 thousand. Alex Redmond 500 thousand. Brandon Wilson 500 thousand.

Team needs a new head coach and a new direction. It would send a message by letting all these players walk to a savings of over 30 million to apply to new players. I'm not ruling out trading other players for draft picks that could bring even more money.

( source : I googled up Bengals contracts running out and got Spotrac site on Bengals who's contracts are up. ) I'm also taking into account some of these players are going to want a pay increase. Send message to team by dumping them all.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:22 AM)kevin Wrote: It's time to blow it up and rebuild.  Here are players that hit the open market.  I think Bengals should let them go and apply the money in rebuilding.  Tyler Eifert 5.5 million. Michael Johnson 4.7 million. Preston Brown 4 million. Vincent Rey 3.5 million. Cedrick Ogbuehi 2.3 million. Darqueze Dennard 2 million. Jake Fisher 1 million. Bobby Hart 1 million. Andre Smith 900 thousand. Kaim Edebali 800 thousand. Tom Savage 800 thousand. Tyler Kroft 700 thousand. Matt Lengle 600 thousand. CJ Uzomah 600 thousand. Adolphus Washington 500 thousand. Josh Tupou 500 thousand. Trey Hopkins 500 thousand. Tony McRae 500 thousand.  Alex Redmond 500 thousand. Brandon Wilson 500 thousand.

Team needs a new head coach and a new direction.  It would send a message by letting all these players walk to a savings of over 30 million to apply to new players.  I'm not ruling out trading other players for draft picks that could bring even more money.

( source : I googled up Bengals contracts running out and got Spotrac site on Bengals who's contracts are up. )  I'm also taking into account some of these players are going to want a pay increase. Send message to team by dumping them all.

So you want no TE's.  Interesting strategy, the ol' dump everybody approach.  We can bring in about 30 new players and they can all wear name tags in training camp.  The ten year rebuild plan.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:22 AM)kevin Wrote: It's time to blow it up and rebuild.  Here are players that hit the open market.  I think Bengals should let them go and apply the money in rebuilding.  Tyler Eifert 5.5 million. Michael Johnson 4.7 million. Preston Brown 4 million. Vincent Rey 3.5 million. Cedrick Ogbuehi 2.3 million. Darqueze Dennard 2 million. Jake Fisher 1 million. Bobby Hart 1 million. Andre Smith 900 thousand. Kaim Edebali 800 thousand. Tom Savage 800 thousand. Tyler Kroft 700 thousand. Matt Lengle 600 thousand. CJ Uzomah 600 thousand. Adolphus Washington 500 thousand. Josh Tupou 500 thousand. Trey Hopkins 500 thousand. Tony McRae 500 thousand.  Alex Redmond 500 thousand. Brandon Wilson 500 thousand.

Team needs a new head coach and a new direction.  It would send a message by letting all these players walk to a savings of over 30 million to apply to new players.  I'm not ruling out trading other players for draft picks that could bring even more money.

( source : I googled up Bengals contracts running out and got Spotrac site on Bengals who's contracts are up. )  I'm also taking into account some of these players are going to want a pay increase. Send message to team by dumping them all.

You're going to be disappointed when the HC either continues to be Marvin or a former coach/coordinator under him.
Also, they should bring back at least a few of the guys you mentioned.
Hopkins has shown position versatility and at least serviceable ability at C. He deserves to be re-signed.
Gotta re-sign (at least) Uzomah or Kroft. Either is a quality TE2 or back-end starter. Neither is really an elite player though. I think re-signing one and draft a guy to groom makes the most sense.
No issue bringing Dennard back depending on price ($8 mill a year or less), but I think he needs to be on the outside like he was at MSU. If cap space is a concern at all, cut Kirkpatrick to save $6.8 mill in 2019, $8.5 mill in 2020, and $9.8 mill in 2021.
Also, cut bait with Burfict via trade or release. As much as I liked him early in his career, he simply hasn't learned or adjusted enough to be worth keeping at this point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, they need to keep one of the young TEs at least. I'm going to get chewed out for this no doubt, but if they want to try to win in the next couple of years, I think that they'd do well to resign Eifert on low guaranteed money. 
Reply/Quote

so you want to let all out TEs walk in free agency? and half our OL?
Reply/Quote
I’d flush this whole thing down the toilet in a heartbeat if they said that we could have an expansion team with new ownership.
Reply/Quote
Said it before and I will say it again, Mikey Brown neither builds nor blows up, he simply exists and carrys on as is.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Probably just a coincidence that Kay Terell posted this story this morning:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/31030/bengals-free-agents-who-stays-who-goes
Reply/Quote
I think bringing back Kroft AND Uzi is a good idea provided they aren't asking for major bucks. I also think Dennard and Hopkins should be brought back for a fair amount as well. Every one else can go pound sand.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 12:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Probably just a coincidence that Kay Terell posted this story this morning:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/31030/bengals-free-agents-who-stays-who-goes

Mostly pathetic list of bad players
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
So I guess we can expect Redmond back. Ok. This will give Pollack a change to prove he can develop someone. The tackle position scares the crap out of me because this draft class is weak (interior line class is pretty good) so I honestly think they will extend Hart and he will end up getting more playing time than he deserves. Barring a major acquisition in Free-Agency, you can expect this line to be the same next year. You will read plenty of Hobson articles about how great and improved they look during the off-season.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 12:35 PM)HuDey Wrote: I’d flush this whole thing down the toilet in a heartbeat if they said that we could have an expansion team with new ownership.

Isn't that true? What keeps you watching? I've stopped watching for now this year. Wonder what would make me watch again next year. Marvin or Hue reduces the odds to 3/10 chance of me still caring.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 12:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Probably just a coincidence that Kay Terell posted this story this morning:

Are you on a nickname basis with her? I thought it was Katherine.
Reply/Quote
Good list OP for the most part although i would keep Uzi, Kroft, Hopkins. What are the pros/cons of releasing DreK and Burfict?

From a Mikey perspective of coarse.

Reply/Quote
I'd keep A. Smith if the price was right just as a backup. I'd give Kroft and Uzomah consideration as TE's 2 and 3. The rest can go
Reply/Quote
These last 2-3 years for Bengals are looking like the Reds of 2014-15. Reds delayed their rebuild and are still paying for it now. Everybody wants a Browns-like draft haul (Mayfield, Ward, Chubb in one draft). Well, Bengals gotta tank a season to get a top 5 pick and then hopefully draft two impact players with their first 2 picks. True rebuild will have at least one 3-13 or 4-12 season. Going 6-10 or 7-9 doesn't get you impact players very often when you drafting around pick 10-15 in each round.

Fire Marvin and hire his replacement from outside of building. Cut dead weight like Burfict, Michael Johnson, etc. Trade AJ for a first round pick this year and focus on fixing offensive line and linebacker unit this draft. Roll with Dalton another year (team-friendly deal) and then draft his replacement in 2020 draft (especially with Herbert going back to school). Next year is the year to tank with a strong QB class lining up (Herbert, Tua, etc.). But its Mike Brown so they'll do nothing, end up going 7-9 again, and miss out on the impact QB's.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 12:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so you want to let all out TEs walk in free agency? and half our OL?

Right, because none of these players on this list are Play-Off Win type players.  The TE's and O Line at end of contracts are a bunch of slugs and we could use an upgrade anyway.  I don't see one player in this list worth keeping.  The linebackers in this list aren't good in pass coverage, which is huge Bengals weakness.  Dennard has never lived up to top pick.  Og and Fish have been a bust.   Send a huge message by letting them all walk.

Oh, if Bengals were big on keeping them, they would have been signed by now.  

As to the person saying 2019 Bengals camp would all need name tags. The last place Bungles are bad and becoming like 1990 's Bungles. Look, Cleveland Browns made changes and are better. Kansas City Chiefs made changes. Open up roster spots, free up over 30 million extra in money, and make some changes.

As to players they can trade or cut and not go against salary cap, that would be a whole different list, but I'm sure there are Bengals in that list that need flushed also. Time to blow it up and rebuild since in Last Place. Considering Last Place, I would be OK if everybody in training camp is wearing a name tag, including new head coach and coaches.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 01:40 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Isn't that true? What keeps you watching? I've stopped watching for now this year. Wonder what would make me watch again next year. Marvin or Hue reduces the odds to 3/10 chance of me still caring.

I continue to watch because it’s football season and that’s what I do during football season. I have no illusions of Superbowls or other such glory under Mike Brown’s watch. He has built an organization that HOPES to win while investing less towards achieving that goal. Anyone unwilling to quietly cash his check and accept this business model will be sent elsewhere. My expectations will remain at the minimum as long as Mikey calls the shots.
Reply/Quote