Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could DeAndre Baker be an option?
All charges have been dropped and he is currently a free agent. He's a young, former 1st rounder. CB is a major problem for the Bengals and, with the right contract, he might be worth a shot. Bengals have had some success with "2nd try" athletes.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we need much help at CB; when literally your #2 (Waynes), #4 (Phillips), #5 (Sims), #6 (Rose), #7 (McTyer) AND #8 (Brian Allen) options are all out for the same game, you're going to have difficulty with WRs, period.

Don't forget; Tony Brown's position is CB, but he's a STer through and through; he should NOT be on defense unless you're down to emergency options (which we were).

Charges were dropped, but the sitch is just too fishy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't think we need much help at CB; when literally your #2 (Waynes), #4 (Phillips), #5 (Sims), #6 (Rose), #7 (McTyer) AND #8 (Brian Allen) options are all out for the same game, you're going to have difficulty with WRs, period.

Don't forget; Tony Brown's position is CB, but he's a STer through and through; he should NOT be on defense unless you're down to emergency options (which we were).

Charges were dropped, but the sitch is just too fishy.
Alexander and WJIII are UFA'S next year, though, so a 2 year deal would give us some flexibility.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:57 PM)Whatever Wrote: Alexander and WJIII are UFA'S next year, though, so a 2 year deal would give us some flexibility.

I think Mack comes back 100%. Will Jax, while I want him back, not sure if he stays.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like they are interested in him.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/11/16/21570415/nfl-rumors-deandre-baker-chiefs-news-49ers-jaguars-bengals-jags?fbclid=IwAR3sAFpzvV_eNIbS1IW5wAiF_JxgqQrp0srSMoxAL1LV7TrfLWZdK3Gx_70
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
I'm not interested both because of his sketchy history and because he wasn't a great CB when he was playing.
Reply/Quote
Yes.... sign him
We have a serious void of talent at CB.
Even if everyone is healthy you have to look at him.

WJIII is not playing at the level you expect of a #1 and is a FA.
Alexander is playing great but is going to get some serious attention if FA. Maybe he resigns, but it is a gamble.
Waynes has never taken a snap as a Bengal. He may be great... he may never be the same after the injury... we have no way to know.
Phillips is so damn inconsistent.
After that.. just a bunch of question marks and guys you wouldn't want out there.

There is no reason not to sign the guy and see if you can get him back on track. Even if he ends up as a depth guy, he's better then any of the depth guys we currently have.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I don't see anything sketchy except the prosecutor in the case, who has been charged in an extortion scheme, and the "witnesses," who have recanted their statements. If the price is right, sign him, and not just for this year.
Reply/Quote
Is there a return date on Wayne’s?

And yes on Baker if he’s better then other guys.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I kinda worry over CB next year, but honestly I think with a good pass rush you really don’t need great ones. Speedy guys with hands ready to jump short routes would help with good pass rush
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 07:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Is there a return date on Wayne’s?

And yes on Baker if he’s better then other guys.

I believe they can bring him back at any point, the question is only how quickly he rehabs from surgery. I recall that it wouldn't be until the last few games if at all. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 07:36 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I don't see anything sketchy except the prosecutor in the case, who has been charged in an extortion scheme, and the "witnesses," who have recanted their statements.  If the price is right, sign him, and not just for this year.

It's pretty bizarre, indeed.  So, why aren't the witnesses who recanted their stories also on charges of filing a false statement, or whatever applicable charges apply in that situation?

https://sports.yahoo.com/robbery-charges-against-ex-giants-cb-de-andre-baker-dropped-after-opposing-lawyer-accused-of-extortion-165122569.html

Robbery charges against CB DeAndre Baker dropped after opposing lawyer accused of extortion

Liz Roscher
Mon, November 16, 2020, 11:51 AM EST·3 min read

Robbery charges against former New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker are being dropped after the lawyer for three of the alleged victims was arrested for extortion.
Baker, 23, was accused of robbing a Miami-area party in May along with Seattle Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar. Baker was charged with four counts of armed robbery while Dunbar escaped any criminal charges.
The lawyer for three of the alleged victims, William Dean, was arrested Monday on extortion charges relating to the robbery.

According to Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News, Dean was allegedly trying to extort Baker out of nearly $800,000. In exchange, Dean would coach his clients to weaken the case against him.

ESPN reported Friday that three of the four alleged robbery victims had recanted their earlier statements in which they testified that Baker and Dunbar had robbed them.

Quote:Julius Lamar, Steven Compton and Tommy J. Hartshaw said in sworn statements that Baker “did not directly or indirectly participate in any robbery or assist in a robbery at the scene or elsewhere.” The three men added that they didn't see Baker rob or assault anyone with or without a firearm.

In a statement released by the Broward State Attorney’s Office, assistant state attorney Paul R. Valcore said that the charges against Baker were being dropped after “the alleged victims and the known witnesses have become uncooperative and their credibility is inalterably tarnished.”

The ‘robbery’
The alleged (and possibly non-existent) robbery happened at a party in the Miami area, the night after Baker and Dunbar supposedly lost $70,000 playing cards at a different party. Four men accused Baker of brandishing a gun and directing Dunbar and a third person to collect valuables from them.
Baker and Dunbar surrendered to police in mid-May and both were placed on the NFL commissioner’s exempt list in July. Baker was charged with four counts of armed robbery in August while Dunbar was not charged with anything due to insufficient evidence. The Giants released Baker in September.
It appears now that no robbery took place. The incident was concocted as part of an alleged scheme to extort money from a professional football player.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 08:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's pretty bizarre, indeed.  So, why aren't the witnesses who recanted their stories also on charges of filing a false statement, or whatever applicable charges apply in that situation?

https://sports.yahoo.com/robbery-charges-against-ex-giants-cb-de-andre-baker-dropped-after-opposing-lawyer-accused-of-extortion-165122569.html

Robbery charges against CB DeAndre Baker dropped after opposing lawyer accused of extortion

Liz Roscher
Mon, November 16, 2020, 11:51 AM EST·3 min read

Robbery charges against former New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker are being dropped after the lawyer for three of the alleged victims was arrested for extortion.
Baker, 23, was accused of robbing a Miami-area party in May along with Seattle Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar. Baker was charged with four counts of armed robbery while Dunbar escaped any criminal charges.
The lawyer for three of the alleged victims, William Dean, was arrested Monday on extortion charges relating to the robbery.

According to Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News, Dean was allegedly trying to extort Baker out of nearly $800,000. In exchange, Dean would coach his clients to weaken the case against him.

ESPN reported Friday that three of the four alleged robbery victims had recanted their earlier statements in which they testified that Baker and Dunbar had robbed them.

In a statement released by the Broward State Attorney’s Office, assistant state attorney Paul R. Valcore said that the charges against Baker were being dropped after “the alleged victims and the known witnesses have become uncooperative and their credibility is inalterably tarnished.”

The ‘robbery’
The alleged (and possibly non-existent) robbery happened at a party in the Miami area, the night after Baker and Dunbar supposedly lost $70,000 playing cards at a different party. Four men accused Baker of brandishing a gun and directing Dunbar and a third person to collect valuables from them.
Baker and Dunbar surrendered to police in mid-May and both were placed on the NFL commissioner’s exempt list in July. Baker was charged with four counts of armed robbery in August while Dunbar was not charged with anything due to insufficient evidence. The Giants released Baker in September.
It appears now that no robbery took place. The incident was concocted as part of an alleged scheme to extort money from a professional football player.

Sounds like he got the shaft. Bring him on in.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Whatever they decide, cb is a need going into 2021.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote