Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Could Hill have been paid off?
I like a good conspiracy theory every now and then.

Could Hill have been paid off by, say, the mob to drop the ball in the event the Bengals were leading late in the 4th quarter?

(Please note the language here. I'm asking if he 'could have been', not asking 'was he paid off'. The former is just asking if you can imagine it happening while the latter question is asking if it did happen. I'm just wanting to know if you can picture it in your imagination. If you wish to expound upon the feasibility of it, please feel free. This is not meant to be an accusation, just an exercise in imagination.)
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I really doubt this. Geo is usually the guy with the ball when they are leading in the game late.

But as you know, he was injured due to a legal fair hit. (Penalties only go one way).

However, to add more to this conspiracy you could argue that he purposely never ran the ball for the first half. They would never have been in this position if he showed up the full game.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:41 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I like a good conspiracy theory every now and then.

Could Hill have been paid off by, say, the mob to drop the ball in the event the Bengals were leading late in the 4th quarter?

(Please note the language here. I'm asking if he 'could have been', not asking 'was he paid off'. The former is just asking if you can imagine it happening while the latter question is asking if it did happen. I'm just wanting to know if you can picture it in your imagination. If you wish to expound upon the feasibility of it, please feel free. This is not meant to be an accusation, just an exercise in imagination.)

This doesn't even make any sense at all. The Steelers won but did not cover... what would have changed financially if the Bengals had won? The only reason he would be paid off is to alter the spread... and him fumbling or not did not.
Reply/Quote
It just was that awful, from the 2 point conversion forward, except the pick, that it looked like it was on purpose!
Reply/Quote
I think it was "Teflon Don"

[Image: MTE5NTU2MzE2NDMwMDQyNjM1.jpg]
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
A long time ago I read an article saying they're paid millions to keep their mouth shut, and then continue into the media as sportscasters because they still have control. I don't exactly believe that, but if you're rich, you have ways to stay rich.

"The NFL possesses an Anti-Trust Exemption to the law granted to it by President John F. Kennedy, which ultimately allows the NFL to classify itself as "entertainment" rather than sport. There is only another "sports" organization that I can think of that follows this, the WWE."
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:18 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: A long time ago I read an article saying they're paid millions to keep their mouth shut, and then continue into the media as sportscasters because they still have control. I don't exactly believe that, but if you're rich, you have ways to stay rich.

"The NFL possesses an Anti-Trust Exemption to the law granted to it by President John F. Kennedy, which ultimately allows the NFL to classify itself as "entertainment" rather than sport. There is only another "sports" organization that I can think of that follows this, the WWE."

Except, again, this makes NO SENSE in this case since the point spread was not altered either way.
Reply/Quote
Could he have been? sure. I could see someone dropping a couple million his way to ensure a Steelers victory.

Do I think he was? No.

Remember there are many different types of betting. Sometimes it is just as straight up bet.

"I bet the Steelers win." That bet is not subject to how the Steelers win or using a point margin, it is just a simply stated, Steelers win. You either accept the bet, though you usually can choose the amount. So you say 100 dollars, he says deal.

Steelers win, you lose 100 dollars.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:32 PM)BeepBeepWoo Wrote: Except, again, this makes NO SENSE in this case since the point spread was not altered either way.

It's not necessarily pointspread, who won the game? If the steelers are supposed to win the superbowl, kind of hard to win it if they lose.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:35 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It's not necessarily pointspread, who won the game? If the steelers are supposed to win the superbowl, kind of hard to win it if they lose.

The original premise is that the mob did it, which means gambling. Vegas is most gambling and is the gambling center with enough money to pay people off... and that uses a point spread. If your argument is instead that the league is "fixed" then you should just stop posting or caring because it isn't a sport.
Reply/Quote
My argument is making a suggestion that the league could be fixed.

The NBA was fixed, and the NBA didn't even have anything to do with it. Except they have their black marks, too (Patrick Ewing draft). You're saying there isn't a bet lined up for the steelers to advance, lol, I assure you there is. And I assure you the most money that could be made on the Steelers is a pancaked bet that results in a superbowl win (which we know won't happen, because it has to be Brady v. Manning one last time).

The mob also fixed NCAA games, nothing is out of the possibility. It's difficult to "fix" games when most players probably have no knowledge of it. They can be swayed.
Reply/Quote
Lets keep in mind if Gio isn't knocked out by the Shazier hit, J Hill would have never been in the game because of his fumbling tendencies......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:37 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: My argument is making a suggestion that the league could be fixed.

The NBA was fixed, and the NBA didn't even have anything to do with it. Except they have their black marks, too (Patrick Ewing draft). You're saying there isn't a bet lined up for the steelers to advance, lol, I assure you there is.

There is. But in order to make money over the long term you dont make really dangerous bets like that unless the payoff is HUGE. Betting the Steelers to advance is not a common enough bet to make tons of money on.

My point is you wouldn't order these things "off the cuff" you would do it to make consistent money. That means points spread.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:41 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Could Hill have been paid off?

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!

(01-11-2016, 05:37 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: My argument is making a suggestion that the league could be fixed.

The NBA was fixed, and the NBA didn't even have anything to do with it. Except they have their black marks, too (Patrick Ewing draft). You're saying there isn't a bet lined up for the steelers to advance, lol, I assure you there is. And I assure you the most money that could be made on the Steelers is a pancaked bet that results in a superbowl win (which we know won't happen, because it has to be Brady v. Manning one last time).

The mob also fixed NCAA games, nothing is out of the possibility. It's difficult to "fix" games when most players probably have no knowledge of it. They can be swayed.

^^^ MORE LIKELY THAN HILL TAKING A BRIBE.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Wow, prior to this thread I had no idea that the NFL was considered "entertainment" rather than a sports league.

Looked at all the legal paperwork from Spygate and American Needle and indeed it is immune from any penalty for fixing games, whereas sports like baseball and basketball would be legally liable. The NFL is no more liable for determining who should win the Steelers/Bengals game than the WWE is for deciding who should win the title at Wrestlemania.

With all that said, if Hill wanted to fumble the game away he could have done it much easier than the .02 seconds between the ball coming out and his knee touching down at the end of his run. That was..... pushing it.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:49 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Wow, prior to this thread I had no idea that the NFL was considered "entertainment" rather than a sports league.

Looked at all the legal paperwork from Spygate and American Needle and indeed it is immune from any penalty for fixing games, whereas sports like baseball and basketball would be legally liable.  The NFL is no more liable for determining who should win the Steelers/Bengals game than the WWE is for deciding who should win the title at Wrestlemania.

With all that said, if Hill wanted to fumble the game away he could have done it much easier than the .02 seconds between the ball coming out and his knee touching down at the end of his run.  That was..... pushing it.

This as well. Instead of a prone to fumbling RB fumbling and two people who rarely check their emotions not checking their emotions... people would rather say it was fixed.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:39 PM)corpjet Wrote: Lets keep in mind if Gio isn't knocked out by the Shazier hit, J Hill would have never been in the game because of his fumbling tendencies 

That's a dang good point I had never even considered until now. 

Arrgggg More post-game grieving.  
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:52 PM)Gwillednt Wrote: This as well. Instead of a prone to fumbling RB fumbling and two people who rarely check their emotions not checking their emotions... people would rather say it was fixed.

Just food for thought, it would be easy to hide a fix using an RB fumbling machine - to fumble. lol
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:56 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Just food for thought, it would be easy to hide a fix using an RB fumbling machine - to fumble. lol

Crazy thing....I thought to myself right before that play that maybe they should run Peerman here.

Only if . . . .  Sad
Reply/Quote
Talking about point spreads, what if a money was on Pittsburgh to cover the spread?

Vegas would make a lot of money if it's a 2 point game.

I'm not saying Hill "Took a dive".
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote