Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Jake Fisher be Left Tackle fall back Plan Long term if Cedric fails
I quote former GM Charlie Casserly alot because of his track record and his presence on the NFL Network makes him one of the few former GM's I get to hear from. He said that being "Athletic" is the key difference maker for a guy being either a Left Tackle or a Right tackle. With the Bengals showing interest in Taylor Moton who can likely play either Guard or Right Tackle, signing Eric Winston and Andre Smith who can play Guard or Right tackle, it makes me wonder what their plan is if Cedric Ogbuyei fails. I am starting to think that longer term Plan is Jake Fisher at Left Tackle. Fisher has the size at 6 foot 6 inches tall and his Combine performance shows he has the Athleticism. (see a 2015 Combine related quote below)

"Jake Fisher scored the fastest time among offensive linemen for the three-cone drill (7.25 seconds) and twenty-yard shuttle (4.33 seconds).
Fisher is a fast-moving, Athletic lineman who will barring the unforeseen find a steady home in the NFL."

** The Bengals have used Fisher to catch passes on numerous occasions which is another sign of "Athleticism". I am starting to think that the Bengals plan is to move Fisher to Left Tackle Long term if Cedric fails. Andre Smith and Eric Winston could hold down the right side this season and then a guy like Taylor Moton could play right tackle long term. If Cedric succeeds then Moton is a Guard long term with Fisher at Right tackle.
If the Bengals don't show interest in a pure Left Tackle early in the Draft then this may be what they are thinking longer term. That Jake Fisher has the size and Athleticism to take Cedric's left tackle job if needed.
Reply/Quote
Maybe, but the issue is we haven't let him stick to a position and learn it. Moving him back and forth from RT to LT seems counterproductive.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 12:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe, but the issue is we haven't let him stick to a position and learn it. Moving him back and forth from RT to LT seems counterproductive.

I get your point of having guys stick to learning one position. Cedric's problems are hampering that. So far Fisher hasn't played any Left tackle. I think this season will be Cedric's last chance to hold down the left tackle job. They are giving him every opportunity possible. Only if Cedric fails would Jake Fisher make the move to left tackle. So far the Bengals have brought in 2 right tackles that could also play guard in Andre Smith and Eric Winston. If Taylor Moton is who they Draft fairly early that would add another RT/Guard. Seems to me that Fisher is the long term left tackle option if Cedric fails almost by default due to the over supply of right tackles. This is assuming they don't Draft a pure left tackle high or bring in a long term Free agent answer. Seems like the logical conclusion to me based on what the Bengals are doing and not doing with the O-line so far. Jake Fisher as the fall back left tackle option plan long term and only if Cedric fails.
Reply/Quote
I think Fisher is definitely a LT contingency plan.
Reply/Quote
How can Fisher be the backup LT when he's the starting RT? I'd be more inclined to agree if they weren't set on playing Andre at RG.

The starting front is supposed to be Ogbuehi-Boling-Bodine-Andre-Fisher. Now if Fisher were to come in to replace Ogbuehi, the line would be:

Fisher-Boling-Bodine-Andre-Winston? Or Fisher-Boling-Bodine-Westerman-Andre? These are all some pretty ugly looking lines. Sheesh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 12:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How can Fisher be the backup LT when he's the starting RT? I'd be more inclined to agree if they weren't set on playing Andre at RG.

The starting front is supposed to be Ogbuehi-Boling-Bodine-Andre-Fisher. Now if Fisher were to come in to replace Ogbuehi, the line would be:

Fisher-Boling-Bodine-Andre-Winston? Or Fisher-Boling-Bodine-Westerman-Andre? These are all some pretty ugly looking lines. Sheesh.

Who is the back up LT?
Reply/Quote
Not personally, no. He really doesn't have the frame or experience playing the left side, so I would much rather keep him on the right or even interior.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 12:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How can Fisher be the backup LT when he's the starting RT? I'd be more inclined to agree if they weren't set on playing Andre at RG.

The OP never said it was a good plan.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think Fisher backs up Ced IF Ced gets hurt. The fact Andre can swing back to RT sort of solidifies this in my mind.

On a side note, I wouldn't mind seeing Hopkins get some snaps at RG. The coaching staff has been high on him since they got him, he's versatile, strong, and has the typical body of an interior lineman. Gonna be an interesting TC battle to see who goes where!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 12:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How can Fisher be the backup LT when he's the starting RT? I'd be more inclined to agree if they weren't set on playing Andre at RG.

It may not be an immediate switch from RT to LT midseason. The Bengals may sign a middle of the road older Free agent left tackle to back up Cedric this year. Maybe towards the end of the season and if the Bengals are out of it they give Fisher the chance at the job. It is a longer term option. Think about it this way. If they Draft a Pure Left tackle High this Draft and Cedric succeeds, then we have a high draft pick backup left tackle. Sure the high draft pick left tackle could possibly play guard but they would have used a higher draft pick to hopefully Guarantee that he would pan out at the left tackle position. Probably need to use the 2nd round pick to make sure the guy pans out at the left tackle position. If they Draft say Taylor Moton in a later round who can play guard or Right tackle, then we are covered whether Cedric succeeds or not. If Cedric succeeds, then the less High draft pick Moton can play Guard & Fisher stays at RT. If Cedric fails Moton will be the long term right tackle with little doubt he pans out there. The few sure fire left tackle draft prospects will go quickly this year since there are so few. RT/guard Taylor Moton may likely be there in round 3.
Reply/Quote
Thought Fischer should have played over Ced last season.

Ced obviously was not ready yet.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 11:31 AM)depthchart Wrote: I quote former GM Charlie Casserly alot because of his track record and his presence on the NFL Network makes him one of the few former GM's I get to hear from. He said that being "Athletic" is the key difference maker for a guy being either a Left Tackle or a Right tackle. With the Bengals showing interest in Taylor Moton who can likely play either Guard or Right Tackle, signing Eric Winston and Andre Smith who can play Guard or Right tackle, it makes me wonder what their plan is if Cedric Ogbuyei fails. I am starting to think that longer term Plan is Jake Fisher at Left Tackle. Fisher has the size at 6 foot 6 inches tall and his Combine performance shows he has the Athleticism. (see a 2015 Combine related quote below)

"Jake Fisher scored the fastest time among offensive linemen for the three-cone drill (7.25 seconds) and twenty-yard shuttle (4.33 seconds).
Fisher is a fast-moving, Athletic lineman who will barring the unforeseen find a steady home in the NFL."

** The Bengals have used Fisher to catch passes on numerous occasions which is another sign of "Athleticism". I am starting to think that the Bengals plan is to move Fisher to Left Tackle Long term if Cedric fails. Andre Smith and Eric Winston could hold down the right side this season and then a guy like Taylor Moton could play right tackle long term. If Cedric succeeds then Moton is a Guard long term with Fisher at Right tackle.
If the Bengals don't show interest in a pure Left Tackle early in the Draft then this may be what they are thinking longer term. That Jake Fisher has the size and Athleticism to take Cedric's left tackle job if needed.

Always thought this. Atleast Fisher has shown some good things. I am sure Ogbuehi will improve but of course he
will, he could never get any worse. He needs to get much stronger, problem is, so does Fisher. This is why losing
Whit was such a head scratcher to me. We needed a buffer for atleast a year to get these guys prepared especially
with our inept OL coach that should of been fired last year.

To just hand the starting LT job to this guy is just proof of all our problems after last year. He is a first round pick
so they will start him, team be damned. This is not how Belicheck would do it. Start the better player regardless of
draft position. Fisher right now is the better player and we have to protect our QB's blindside more than anything.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 01:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Who is the back up LT?

I think Who is on first...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Hear ya it would be scary to see a couple of these. 

Hopefully they add a couple good ones in the draft. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Bottomline is PA and the FO put us in this position. Now we have to rely on him coaching these guys up for God sake.

I am glad they brought back Andre cause i think he could make a solid RG and he is great depth in case Fisher struggles
at RT. But still, Og shown nothing good at all last year, only bad. Fisher regressed from his rookie year from what i saw.

Bodine still sucks and there has never even been a hint of upgrading the Center position.

I like Westerman but we don't know if PA ruined him.

Boling is coming off of an injured shoulder...

For Marv to say the OL is not a concern is downright foolish. Even if we draft a top Center there will be growing pains.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 01:53 PM)jason Wrote: I think Who is on first...

That's what I want to find out.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 01:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Who is the back up LT?

Good question. Maybe we should ask Jim O.

(03-20-2017, 01:11 PM)J24 Wrote: The OP never said it was a good plan.

Lol. Fair enough.

(03-20-2017, 01:24 PM)depthchart Wrote: It may not be an immediate switch from RT to LT midseason. The Bengals may sign a middle of the road older Free agent left tackle to back up Cedric this year. Maybe towards the end of the season and if the Bengals are out of it they give Fisher the chance at the job. It is a longer term option. Think about it this way. If they Draft a Pure Left tackle High this Draft and Cedric succeeds, then we have a high draft pick backup left tackle. Sure the high draft pick left tackle could possibly play guard but they would have used a higher draft pick to hopefully Guarantee that he would pan out at the left tackle position. Probably need to use the 2nd round pick to make sure the guy pans out at the left tackle position. If they Draft say Taylor Moton in a later round who can play guard or Right tackle, then we are covered whether Cedric succeeds or not. If Cedric succeeds, then the less High draft pick Moton can play Guard & Fisher stays at RT. If Cedric fails Moton will be the long term right tackle with little doubt he pans out there. The few sure fire left tackle draft prospects will go quickly this year since there are so few. RT/guard Taylor Moton may likely be there in round 3.

If we draft a LT in the 2nd round, I'd rather see that guy get a shot than see Fisher move to yet another position. I do like the idea of Moton at RT with Fisher and Ogbuehi battling at LT. At least it would bring competition at LT.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 02:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we draft a LT in the 2nd round, I'd rather see that guy get a shot than see Fisher move to yet another position. I do like the idea of Moton at RT with Fisher and Ogbuehi battling at LT. At least it would bring competition at LT.

Would be for this. All i know is LT is probably the most important position on the OL besides Center.

Andre can already play RT, Westerman might be good at RG yah never know.

Where is everyone hearing about us liking Moton? Did we have a meeting with him or something.

I really like the guy just wanted to know where this is coming from.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be for this. All i know is LT is probably the most important position on the OL besides Center.

Andre can already play RT, Westerman might be good at RG yah never know.

Where is everyone hearing about us liking Moton? Did we have a meeting with him or something.

I really like the guy just wanted to know where this is coming from.

From the beginning of the "Will this make anyone feel better?" thread they cite a source saying the Bengals have spent "an enormous amount" of time with Moton.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 03:01 PM)depthchart Wrote: From the beginning of the "Will this make anyone feel better?" thread they cite a source saying the Bengals have spent "an enormous amount" of time with Moton.

Thanks DC, would really like the pick in the 3rd..
Reply/Quote