Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Could WJ3 be traded ?
All you are aware of the latest CB signings which has led
To good football discussion.
It's assumed or maybe expected that Dre is gonna be cut
But how about WJ3 being traded at some point ?
Anybody correct me on this but isn't he due 13 million this year ?
We've seen some really good players on the move this off season
Who's resumes are light years better than WJ3 resume
Like De Andre Hopkins....Melvin Gordon...Todd Gurley...David Johnson...Stefan Diggs...
If those guys can be moved why not WJ3?
He hasnt played at a high level since his rookie year
At best he's been average lately
I think he can be traded and the secondary won't be none the weaker. I know I'm in the minority. But whatever.
I think he has a large contract for what he produces
Reply/Quote
No.
Reply/Quote
Not sure, I guess it depends upon the legalese of contract law.  Has the team officially taken up his 5th year option?  What date must these type of things be done by?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/william-jackson-18972/

Ok, I see here that the Bengals declared last year that they were taking up the 5th year option.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2832913-william-jacksons-5th-year-contract-option-exercised-by-bengals
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't want him traded. I thought the last secondary coach was a bad one.

We have a new secondary coach, would like to see how Will Jax plays now.

He shown too much in my opinion a couple years ago to trade away.

Coaching is a bigger thing than some notice as is scheme.

Play soft William and get beat seemed like the scheme before....
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure, I guess it depends upon the legalese of contract law.  Has the team officially taken up his 5th year option?  What date must these type of things be done by?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/william-jackson-18972/

I have a hard time believing the plan is to keep DreK and get rid of WJIII.  According to the link, it's not 13 mil, it's just shy of 10.  It's not like he's never played well.

To answer the OP's question of could he, the answer is yes.  To answer the question of should we, I gonna say no.

I guess we're just in the trade this guy, that guy time of the year amplified by having to all stay home.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:49 PM)McC Wrote: I have a hard time believing the plan is to keep DreK and get rid of WJIII.  According to the link, it's not 13 mil, it's just shy of 10.  It's not like he's never played well.

To answer the OP's question of could he, the answer is yes.  To answer the question of should we, I gonna say no.

I guess we're just in the trade this guy, that guy time of the year amplified by having to all stay home.

Well, the article that I posted the link to explained that the option is only guaranteed for injury, and warned that the Bengals could still move on from Jackson.  I just wonder what date all of these things are set in stone by.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I talked about this a little in the thread about Dre K, it is possible that Jackson is who they are moving on from at this point. Perhaps he isn't doing something the coaching staff wants, perhaps they are aware he won't sign here after the year is over. There is a lot of things that are possible behind the scenes that none of us are aware of at all.

Having said that, I'm not saying we should trade the guy, but I do accept that anything is possible at this time, especially after seeing the Bengals be active in Free Agency. I'm still in shock.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't want him traded. I thought the last secondary coach was a bad one.

Your right the last secondary coach wasn't that good....but if it was all coaching and scheme then why the addition of 2 new CBs? 
Heck even Marcus Peters got traded. Twice. 
I think WJ3 is over rated a bit 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:25 PM)impactplaya Wrote: All you are aware of the latest CB signings which has led
To good football discussion.
It's assumed or maybe expected that Dre is gonna be cut
But how about WJ3 being traded at some point ?
Anybody correct me on this but isn't he due 13 million this year ?
We've seen some really good players on the move  this off season
Who's resumes are light years better than WJ3 resume
Like De Andre Hopkins....Melvin Gordon...Todd Gurley...David Johnson...Stefan Diggs...
If those guys can be moved why not WJ3?
He hasnt played at a high level since his rookie year
At best he's been average lately
I think he can be traded and the secondary won't be none the weaker. I know I'm in the minority. But whatever.
I think he has a large contract for what he produces

He is making about 10 million this year.

Trading him would be an interesting move, because he's in the final year of his contract and probably wouldn't get us much.

Cutting him does no good because 5th year options are fully guaranteed once the league year starts (which was a few days ago), so it'd just convert his salary into dead cap.

If you're looking for cap relief, cutting Dre Kirkpatrick saves you about 8.3 million. He was injured last year and is generally considered the weaker of the two corners.

With that said, we still currently have approximately 3 million in cap space left (after dead cap is accounted for.) Clearing Dalton off the books takes us back up to 20 million, with only about 11 million needed for our rookies.

That leaves us with 9 million dollars for free agency and injury insurance. So cutting Dre or Trading WJIII for cap space is not required in the least bit.

What are you foreseeing us getting in exchange for WJIII that would make trading him worth it, considering his potential as a true #1 shutdown cornerback (if we go off of his 2017 season)?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:49 PM)McC Wrote: I have a hard time believing the plan is to keep DreK and get rid of WJIII.  According to the link, it's not 13 mil, it's just shy of 10.  It's not like he's never played well.

Me 2
Reply/Quote
Definitely not the CB we should be looking to move. Despite recent struggles he has too much upside.

Reply/Quote
Why would they trade their #1 CB?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:23 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Why would they trade their #1 CB?

Has he played liked a #1 CB.?
Not at all. 
The Bengals have alot of $$$$ . Tied up in CBs.
With the way players are being moved and on the move 
Why not explore a trade with WJ3?
He's not even the best CB in the North 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 10:01 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He is making about 10 million this year.

Trading him would be an interesting move, because he's in the final year of his contract and probably wouldn't get us much.

Cutting him does no good because 5th year options are fully guaranteed once the league year starts (which was a few days ago), so it'd just convert his salary into dead cap.

If you're looking for cap relief, cutting Dre Kirkpatrick saves you about 8.3 million. He was injured last year and is generally considered the weaker of the two corners.

With that said, we still currently have approximately 3 million in cap space left (after dead cap is accounted for.) Clearing Dalton off the books takes us back up to 20 million, with only about 11 million needed for our rookies.

That leaves us with 9 million dollars for free agency and injury insurance. So cutting Dre or Trading WJIII for cap space is not required in the least bit.

What are you foreseeing us getting in exchange for WJIII that would make trading him worth it, considering his potential as a true #1 shutdown cornerback (if we go off of his 2017 season)?

Good points on what is an interesting thread.  I don't think they're actively shopping their best cover corner, but they could end up hedging their bets.  

We don't know how far off extension negotiations are, and though the whole D was bad, if he doesn't improve you can't franchise him.  If and ONLY if they have a prospect like Diggs or Terrell rated BPA and he is still there in the 2nd, they could take him.  Then, if a team without a 1st has a hole at corner and gives up a 3rd, maybe Cincy does it.  They're just as likely to take a corner and just cut Dre.  I'm just saying I agree that we don't know what their current position on Jackson is.  I'd be shocked if they proactively moved him, more of a fallback scenario.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:41 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Has he played liked a #1 CB.?
Not at all. 
The Bengals have alot of $$$$ . Tied up in CBs.
With the way players are being moved and on the move 
Why not explore a trade with WJ3?
He's not even the best CB in the North 

And Dunlap is not the best pass rusher in the North. Mixon is not the best RB. Should we trade them too? That’s a silly metric.

WJ3 has played an elite level in the NFL. Just go back and look at his PFF grades his rookie season. It’s the coaches job to put him in the best position to get back that again.

Reply/Quote
No I hope not. Jackson, Wayne's, and Alexander will be one of best CB cores in the league.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 01:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Dunlap is not the best pass rusher in the North. Mixon is not the best RB. Should we trade them too? That’s a silly metric.

WJ3 has played an elite level in the NFL. Just go back and look at his PFF grades his rookie season. It’s the coaches job to put him in the best position to get back that again.

WJ3 hasn't played at a elite level in awhile 
His rookie year he was almost elite 
Since then he's looked average.
Compare his numbers to other elite CBs. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 02:26 AM)impactplaya Wrote: WJ3 hasn't played at a elite level in awhile 
His rookie year he was almost elite 
Since then he's looked average.
Compare his numbers to other elite CBs. 

Right. So he HAS played at an elite level in the NFL. Let’s try to get him back to that, instead of trading him while his stock is at its lowest.

You don’t give up on a 1st round pick on their rookie contract unless they’re an absolute bust. Which he’s clearly not.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't want him traded. I thought the last secondary coach was a bad one.

Yea and maybe the new guy from the CFL, "Axl Rose"? can take his spot??  Hilarious
But Seriously, I tend to agree this dude had a good rookie yr but since then not too impressive and is weak against the run....and on top of that has no killer instinct or passion from what I see...at least Dre  K has that
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 09:11 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Your right the last secondary coach wasn't that good....but if it was all coaching and scheme then why the addition of 2 new CBs? 
Heck even Marcus Peters got traded. Twice. 
I think WJ3 is over rated a bit 

Cause they are looking to cut Kirkpatrick and get his salary unloaded, that's why.
Reply/Quote