Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could We Pick A Tackle At 9?
This Yahoo! mock has us taking Cam Robinson at tackle out of Alabama at 9.

Do you think that's a possibility? Are we ready to give up on Ogbuehi already? I agree that we won't win games without better line play, but is Ogbuehi really that bad?

Also, I've seen where Robinson is a better right tackle than left and struggles with speed rushers, so do we really want him on Andy's blind side?

I don't think I like this pick.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Nope, while people on the outside will quickly move on we aren't giving up on a 1st round pick after 1 year at a different position (RT). Rookie tackles tend to be bad, Ced basically a rookie last year so I expect improvemnt from last year to this yea. How much? Who knows. Cedric will be the guy this year pretty much no matter what. If it gets bad we could slide Fisher over, kick Andre out, and put Westerman at guard, but my feeling is we will see Ced good or bad all year.

Side note, mocks are never close to correct because they simply are going off casual observation of needs. They really don't know how front offices and staffs really feel about their current roster at those positions unless it has been stated public ally. based on our meetings I think we are considered a 2nd or 3rd round lineman but not a 1st unless we move back.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 12:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: This Yahoo! mock has us taking Cam Robinson at tackle out of Alabama at 9.

Do you think that's a possibility?  Are we ready to give up on Ogbuehi already?  I agree that we won't win games without better line play, but is Ogbuehi really that bad?

Also, I've seen where Robinson is a better right tackle than left and struggles with speed rushers, so do we really want him on Andy's blind side?

I don't think I like this pick.  

Thoughts?

That's not going to happen.  We don't like it, but with spread offenses in college, the learning curve for T's is very steep and it takes a few years to get them up to speed. No way they are going to invest the time in Og and Fisher just to give up and repeat the process.  If they're looking at Robinson, they're probably looking at him as a RG that can play T in a pinch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Textbook example of a reach. Cam could be a good pick around pick 20 on down. Trade down if you can. Otherwise there are better players at 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Lets all pray that this is a big fat no./End thread Cool
Reply/Quote
There's no tackle in this draft worth a pick that high. Not going to happen...
Reply/Quote
I doubt it. Here's the thing..

So many of us on here speculate that we're going to take Howard. I doubt it because we have Eifert. They can get Eifert on the cheap and Uzomah showed promise. We wouldn't take Robinson because we have Ogbuehi. When have the bengals ever given up on someone after a year? I'm going to be surprised by whatever we take because the draft is so unpredictable. So so unpredictable. But I find it hard to believe that they're going to take players like Howard or Robinson when they aren't huge needs. Although Eifert wasn't a need when we drafted him. Ugh.
Reply/Quote
I'm not gonna lie.

I'd hate that pick haha.

I'd rather get an elite piece this year, then draft an OT next year if necessary.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 01:00 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: I doubt it. Here's the thing..

So many of us on here speculate that we're going to take Howard. I doubt it because we have Eifert. They can get Eifert on the cheap and Uzomah showed promise. We wouldn't take Robinson because we have Ogbuehi. When have the bengals ever given up on someone after a year? I'm going to be surprised by whatever we take because the draft is so unpredictable. So so unpredictable. But I find it hard to believe that they're going to take players like Howard or Robinson when they aren't huge needs. Although Eifert wasn't a need when we drafted him. Ugh.
The thing is that we don't have that many big needs (that could be filled in the first), and Howard could take this offense to the next level, and not to mention that Eifert always seems to be hurt and Uzomah is still unknown.  

Also, let's not forget that Eifert's a free agent after this season.  If Uzomah (or even Kroft) shows promise, then we roll with whichever one of them is ready and Howard while we let Eifert walk.

I agree that it's killing me waiting, but with Foster all the way off of our boards (I'm praying he is), Howard seems like the best pick to improve our team.
(04-21-2017, 01:34 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm not gonna lie.

I'd hate that pick haha.

I'd rather get an elite piece this year, then draft an OT next year if necessary.

Same.  That's the main reason I posted it: I needed reassurance that I wasn't losing my mind and that this was a stupid pick and out of the realm of possibility.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 12:23 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Textbook example of a reach. Cam could be a good pick around pick 20 on down. Trade down if you can. Otherwise there are better players at 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-21-2017, 12:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There's no tackle in this draft worth a pick that high. Not going to happen...

Except 10 years from now when Robinson has gone to 8 pro-bowls and Myles Garrett has washed out of the league.

This is a bit of hyperbole, but I like to remind people, not just posters here, that NOBODY has a clue how these prospects will pan out in the NFL. So, using terms like reach and worth when talking about prospects actually means jack squat.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 05:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Except 10 years from now when Robinson has gone to 8 pro-bowls and Myles Garrett has washed out of the league.

This is a bit of hyperbole, but I like to remind people, not just posters here, that NOBODY has a clue how these prospects will pan out in the NFL. So, using terms like reach and worth when talking about prospects actually means jack squat.

It is but it isn't. See by you saying that it is a self defeating statement. If what you say is in fact true every team could randomly pull names out of a hat and have the same chance of success. They are educated guesses. You use the available information to make predictions but things can happen that alter their success including the team they are taken by.

Really in comparison 1st round picks bust out much less than any other round in the draft. The simple fact is the NFL is a numbers game and 256 guys can't join the league every year and stick. The fact the 1st round bust out at a lesser rate would mean that some people know something about something.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 12:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: Nope, while people on the outside will quickly move on we aren't giving up on a 1st round pick after 1 year at a different position (RT). Rookie tackles tend to be bad, Ced basically a rookie last year so I expect improvemnt from last year to this yea. How much? Who knows. Cedric will be the guy this year pretty much no matter what. If it gets bad we could slide Fisher over, kick Andre out, and put Westerman at guard, but my feeling is we will see Ced good or bad all year.

Side note, mocks are never close to correct because they simply are going off casual observation of needs. They really don't know how front offices and staffs really feel about their current roster at those positions unless it has been stated public ally. based on our meetings I think we are considered a 2nd or 3rd round lineman but not a 1st unless we move back.

I see at rd 1 the LIKELY being a deep threat WR or a speed rush DE.   At OT,RB,CB I figure we want to see if the guys we used high picks for.. pan out.
Eiffort IS a very good TE.. if healthy, but if Healthy he'll cost $$.  We're not 100% set at LB or S.   If we were to trade McCarren we'd want a Q.   We likely want a kicker.   We will pick a lineman (or two but not rd 1 or 2).    We have plenty of picks but the HIGH ones... we need to be careful.
Reply/Quote
If we love Cam or Forrest I think it could happen.

We are picking in the top 10 because mainly Ogbuehi and our OL sucked and ruined our season. We then went on to lose our two best offensive linemen in free agency.

Elite pass rushers line up on both sides in the NFL now days. Our best pass rushing DE is a LDE going up against RTs. So I dont buy the Cam is a RT only because he cant handle the elite rushers.

My bottim line is I think Ogbuehi was a reach. He was the 3rd best LT on his college team. Jake Matthews has done OK but hasnt really reached the lofty expectations. The other one whose name escapes me was also top 10 pick flamed out in Jville and seattle just picked him up on a one year deal. Ogbuehi didnt get to play LT until they left. And when he did he wasnt anything special. Just because he has above average athleticism doesnt mean he is destined to be a great LT.

Im rooting for Ogbuehi to turn it around. He definitely needed some toughness. So hopefully training in MMA helped that out. But Im not holding my breath. Almost every year an OL goes top 10. We are in a spot this year where we very well could get to take the first one off the board.

OL is hands down our biggest weakness. If we take Cam or Forrest at 9 I will praise the pick.
Reply/Quote
I think it is funny he is called a reach at 9. But often gets mocked to Bmore at 16.

If he gets drafted by Bmore at 16 that pick will get a ton of praise
Reply/Quote
Robinson at 9 would piss me off to no end. So would Charlton.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 08:22 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If we love Cam or Forrest I think it could happen.

We are picking in the top 10 because mainly Ogbuehi and our OL sucked and ruined our season. We then went on to lose our two best offensive linemen in free agency.

Elite pass rushers line up on both sides in the NFL now days. Our best pass rushing DE is a LDE going up against RTs. So I dont buy the Cam is a RT only because he cant handle the elite rushers.

My bottim line is I think Ogbuehi was a reach. He was the 3rd best LT on his college team. Jake Matthews has done OK but hasnt really reached the lofty expectations. The other one whose name escapes me was also top 10 pick flamed out in Jville and seattle just picked him up on a one year deal. Ogbuehi didnt get to play LT until they left. And when he did he wasnt anything special. Just because he has above average athleticism doesnt mean he is destined to be a great LT.

Im rooting for Ogbuehi to turn it around. He definitely needed some toughness. So hopefully training in MMA helped that out. But Im not holding my breath. Almost every year an OL goes top 10. We are in a spot this year where we very well could get to take the first one off the board.

OL is hands down our biggest weakness. If we take Cam or Forrest at 9 I will praise the pick.
I don;t think Ogbuehi was a reach , what I do think is the organization mishandled him with moving him to Rt especially after he has very limited playing due to injuries both years in preseason... amazing to think, if healthy his third year will be his first real full preseason and first at his natural position of LT... im going with my gut and Munoz opinion that this kid can play and will get better this year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 08:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think it is funny he is called a reach at 9. But often gets mocked to Bmore at 16.

If he gets drafted by Bmore at 16 that pick will get a ton of praise

The media rides Ozzie Newsome's junk so hard, the Ravens could draft Stacy Coley at #16 and they'd clap like trained seals.
Reply/Quote
Bengalsdude loves lamp. Wouldn't mind sliding back (if we can find a partner) and taking him.
Reply/Quote
If they did, I almost think it would be Bolles over Robinson.
Reply/Quote
I think it's a very high possibility we take Robinson at pick 9.Hes another mold of Andre Smith being he can run block like all hell but struggles in pass protection.I frown on the pick there because I think Fisher is gonna be very good playing RT there for us and I have no doubt that's were they would want to put Cam.I think our depth at tackle is pathetic at best.As I posted in another post though I don't think you draft in the top 10 for depth it should be a starter pick.
Reply/Quote