Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could a bad 2017 season end the Dalton era?
Not crazy about starting another AD thread, because there's plenty already...but I ran across a couple interesting articles this morning involving him, talking about a possible end to the AD era if the Bengals lose tonight and/or go onto have a bad season. What are your thoughts?

The Morning Huddle: Andy Dalton is in trouble

The Bengals could be heading for a franchise-shifting season with a loss Thursday night
Reply/Quote
Dalton is a great quarterback when given time. You guys will turn it around. I have faith.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Not crazy about starting another AD thread, because there's plenty already...but I ran across a couple interesting articles this morning involving him, talking about a possible end to the AD era if the Bengals lose tonight and/or go onto have a bad season. What are your thoughts?

The Bengals could be heading for a franchise-shifting with a loss Thursday night

I highly doubt it. Getting rid of Marvin is all the change that Mike Brown could handle. I'm not even convinced that a bad season would lead Brown to rid himself of Lewis. Andy's here so long as he doesn't rock the boat.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:05 PM)jason Wrote: I highly doubt it. Getting rid of Marvin is all the change that Mike Brown could handle. I'm not even convinced that a bad season would lead Brown to rid himself of Lewis. Andy's here so long as he doesn't rock the boat.

I tend to agree, and I think Andy most likely plays out his deal regardless of how this season turns out.
Reply/Quote
I wouldnt give up on Andy yet.

Step 1 should be fire Zampese.

Still looking like shit?

Step 2 fire Marvin

Still looking like shit?

Step 3 try AJMC at QB
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:04 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Dalton is a great quarterback when given time. You guys will turn it around. I have faith.

Dalton isn't a horrible QB, but he certainly isn't a great one either. He is a middle of the pack QB. 
Reply/Quote
No one should be in trouble until we get new coaches. These failures have one (two if you include MB) common denominator. Marvin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I tend to agree, and I think Andy most likely plays out his deal regardless of how this season turns out.

The one thing Mike Brown hates is major change from important positions. He will sit on both Dalton and Lewis...as a quote from Bill Belichick says it all...

"My job isn't the most secure of all the NFL head coaches. Theres a town named Cincinnati who has Marvin Lewis as their head coach. Thats the safest job on the planet"
Reply/Quote
People already jumping off the cliff, head first....
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: No one should be in trouble until we get new coaches. These failures have one (two if you include MB) common denominator. Marvin.

This is why I don't think Andy should be in any jeopardy, or at least not yet. I would really like to see how performs with a different head coach, especially an offensive minded one. 

Andy isn't an elite QB, but he's proven he's capable of winning games in the NFL. People talk about the big stage/prime time issues with him, but that's a problem that's been around with this franchise long before he took his first snap as a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
I highly doubt it, so I say no. But it could very well be the beginning of the end of Dalton here in a couple or so years depending if Marvin is not re-signed.

I think whatever hc is brought in or promoted, he would likely stick with Dalton while trying to fix the o-line. But at same time draft a qb higher up in one of the next two drafts.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Not crazy about starting another AD thread, because there's plenty already...but I ran across a couple interesting articles this morning involving him, talking about a possible end to the AD era if the Bengals lose tonight and/or go onto have a bad season. What are your thoughts?

The Bengals could be heading for a franchise-shifting with a loss Thursday night

Personal feelings aside, we ALL have to recognize that even with a new head coach, Brown is not going to give up on Dalton. Now, if Brown steps down/resigns/what have you at the same time Lewis quits/is fired and Katie takes over, that could be a different story.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Andy isn't going anywhere. He is a fine QB, he just needs protection.

Bradford last year with no OL, check down. Bradford wth a good OL, lights out.

Andy is no different. 2 years ago wit a good OL he was top 5, the only difference is he now has less than 2 seconds.

No one would succeed behind the line we saw Sunday. I hope the bengals run the ball 40 times tonight. The Texans offense doesn't scare me, just don't turn the ball over and lose field position.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:52 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Andy isn't going anywhere.  He is a fine QB, he just needs protection.

Bradford last year with no OL, check down.  Bradford wth a good OL, lights out.

Andy is no different.  2 years ago wit a good OL he was top 5, the only difference is he now has less than 2 seconds.

No one would succeed behind the line we saw Sunday.  I hope the bengals run the ball 40 times tonight.  The Texans offense doesn't scare me, just don't turn the ball over and lose field position.

Amen!
Reply/Quote
Good Post
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:04 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Dalton is a great quarterback when given time. You guys will turn it around. I have faith.

Yeah...he's not a great QB. He's an above average QB when given time. He's somewhere between the 12-16th best QB. When he's under pressure, he's really bad.

His interceptions from the 1st game were from a clean pocket.

As I posted, the Bengals haven't traded McCarron because he will be their QB. They are going to make Dalton the scapegoat and trade or waive him in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
I want to see the Marvin era come to an end first and see what a new coach can do with Dalton. Keep in mind during the 2015 season he proved he can play under the right circumstances. Dalton is the same guy he has been this whole time a solid winner who is going to need a strong team around him, coaching included.

What I want is a new a coach outside of the organization and a competition at every spot.

Marvin with Palmer 0-2 in the postseason

Marvin with Dalton 0-5 in the postseason
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 01:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As I posted, the Bengals haven't traded McCarron because he will be their QB. They are going to make Dalton the scapegoat and trade or waive him in the offseason.

No, they're not. They haven't traded McCarron because they feel that if Dalton got injured, we wouldn't miss a beat by putting in AJ (not saying that's true or not, just how I believe they think). If this season turns out bad, they aren't going to scapegoat Dalton, they'll blame the OL and/or injuries and/or whatever else they can think to do, but they certainly aren't going to scapegoat a player.

Even if Lewis leaves, they would not scapegoat him, so they certainly wouldn't scapegoat Dalton.

IMO, worst case scernario is that if Dalton has a poor season, they give McCarron a chance to win the job next pre-season.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This is why I don't think Andy should be in any jeopardy, or at least not yet. I would really like to see how performs with a different head coach, especially an offensive minded one. 

Andy isn't an elite QB, but he's proven he's capable of winning games in the NFL. People talk about the big stage/prime time issues with him, but that's a problem that's been around with this franchise long before he took his first snap as a Bengal.

You're using logic.

IF Mike Brown wants to retain Lewis, he'll make a change somewhere to show the fanbase they're trying. With McCarron here...that could be one of the moves.

Mike Brown is ego invested in Marvin Lewis. Firing him would be admitting to having the wrong coach here all of these years. That's probably too much for the Bengals to admit.

Dalton is easy to get rid of. At his best he's an above average QB. If he were a good to great QB...it's harder. It's easy to point to an above average guy as being the issue.

Dalton is to QB's what Marvin is to Coaches. Above average but not great.

Now, replacing him will be harder.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 01:04 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I want to see the Marvin era come to an end first and see what a new coach and do with Dalton. 

:andy:
Reply/Quote