Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Could a slow start be good ?
Honestly there have been times where we would come out hot and then fizzle out later in the year. If we win this week and next week we will be sitting at 2-3, meaning coming out of the bye week the Steelers game would be a must win and if they pull that off they'll be 3-3. So my question is could a slow start be good? Then we start to catch fire and maybe lose one or two more games the rest of the way
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
No. In no scenario would a team want to start the season 0-3 and call it a good thing.

I think that beating both the Browns and Bills shouldn't be assumed at this point.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 03:18 PM)Trademark Wrote: Honestly there have been times where we would come out hot and then fizzle out later in the year. If we win this week and next week we will be sitting at 2-3, meaning coming out of the bye week the Steelers game would be a must win and if they pull that off they'll be 3-3. So my question is could a slow start be good? Then we start to catch fire and maybe lose one or two more games the rest of the way

Yes a slow start is good. Because I want Marvin Lewis gone. So they can start slow, go slow in the middle and end slow, that'll be great if it means Lewis is gone after the season.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Since 1980, only 5 of 168 (2.9%) teams have made the playoffs that started 0-3. So no, it is not a good to start 0-3.

But as noted above, it will be good if it means blowing it all up starting with Marvin and Paul A.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As stated above, only if it continues ! I'm fully prepared for 0-16 if that's what it takes for Marvin to be gone.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 03:18 PM)Trademark Wrote: Honestly there have been times where we would come out hot and then fizzle out later in the year. If we win this week and next week we will be sitting at 2-3, meaning coming out of the bye week the Steelers game would be a must win and if they pull that off they'll be 3-3. So my question is could a slow start be good? Then we start to catch fire and maybe lose one or two more games the rest of the way

no
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 03:18 PM)Trademark Wrote: Could a slow start be good ?

Dah, NO

Kiss this baby goodbye. Mike Brown is determined to bring back the 90's.

Reply/Quote
No not good but time to make the best of it now.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

A slow start is only good if it's followed by a slow finish that's enough to get rid of the giggling, gutless wonder.  If he coaches another season here, I'm done with it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
If we were 2-1 and kind of crawled to a couple wins and looked like we had to potential but were just making some mistakes maybe. Not being 0-3 and only scoring 2 offensive touchdowns through 3 games.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 10:47 PM)Sweetness Wrote: If we were 2-1 and kind of crawled to a couple wins and looked like we had to potential but were just making some mistakes maybe. Not being 0-3 and only scoring 2 offensive touchdowns through 3 games.

Well said.  Sweetness indeed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Slow start chart:

Starting slow is good if:

You don't want to win on the year.
Want your coach fired.
Want that top college QB prospect.
Really enjoy heavy amounts of alcohol consumption every Sunday (and sometimes Thursday) mixed with constant swearing at the team.

Starting slow is bad if:

You have any desire to be a playoff team.
You want to build a winning culture.
You want to be relevant come Dec.

So, the question really depends on what your goal for the season is.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I was thinking about posting an "Is this three game losing streak just what the doctor ordered?" thread then banning* everyone who answered "no" as a hilarious homage to our good buddy Denny, but you beat me to it.

*Disclaimer: I can't actually ban anyone.
Reply/Quote
After looking at the schedule for 2017 I don't see any "certain" wins for the Bengals. While not probable, going 0-16 is possible.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:35 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After looking at the schedule for 2017 I don't see any "certain" wins for the Bengals.  While not probable, going 0-16 is possible.

After the way Jacksonville exposed Baltimore, I'd venture the Bengals split with them and the Browns. So, probably get 2 wins there and somewhere they'll beat someone they shouldn't and end up with a worse draft spot.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Really?
Reply/Quote

You guys will be fine. Steelers don't look great at all and neither does Baltimore. You can come back and do this. Hiring a new OC coordinator, you guys look like a totally different team. Had you hired Lazor before the season started you would have easily beaten Houston and you might have beaten Baltimore.
Reply/Quote

Don't you think it might be better if we lose to the Browns and start 0-4 just to make sure our start is slow enough to be effective?
Reply/Quote
Burfict back is big, but the offense is simply bad....we need 10 wins n the next 13 games. At the moment that looks unlikely. As a diehard fan, I’ll hope each week they do. Maybe Ross can add a spark, and Mixon gets hot. Dalton is our best option, which is a big part of our issues....that isn’t changing this year

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:19 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: Burfict back is big, but the offense is simply bad....we need 10 wins n the next 13 games.  At the moment that looks unlikely. As a diehard fan, I’ll hope each week they do.  Maybe Ross can add a spark, and Mixon gets hot.  Dalton is our best option, which is a big part of our issues....that isn’t changing this year

I'm not really that confident that we'll beat the Browns.
Reply/Quote