Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could all these coaching changes be a good thing?
(01-15-2016, 10:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Seriously you guys think coaches are abandoning the ship?  Why?

I'd say a decent amount of it is post-loss pessimism, but do we lose coaches like this on a regular basis?  It almost has that "rats leaving a sinking ship" sort of feeling to it, and it's hard to have that "wow look at how in demand our coaches are!" optimism because we still have to replace them even if they are awesome.

It all comes down to "We shall see."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hayes leaving what is arguably the best job security in the NFL for the same position elsewhere is what is really throwing me.

Something stinks.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I will start freaking out if the Tobin's and Marvin Lewis's of the world start jumping ship. The scouting, drafting, finding FAs from the trash bin and development of talent are what makes this team a 10+ win team on the regular (without key/core catastrophic injuries)....As long as Andy Dalton (franchise QB), Green (Elite #1 WR), Eifert (Top 5 TE), good OLine, Atkins (Elite DT), Dunlap (Pro Bowler), Burfict (a stallion on the field) and a deep secondary....This team will be fine with whoever are the OC, DC and position coaches...

I personally wanted an outside hire for OC, but I trust Marvin enough to know if Zampese can handle the job...
Reply/Quote
I don't think the coaches are that big of a deal. Most are leaving for either the money and more responsibility and some perhaps for the personal challenge of turning losing franchises around. It's not as if these guys are going to have to apply for food stamps with their new teams. Some are probably just taking a gamble hoping for bigger and better opportunity. There are other position coaches out there and I don't think we'll see much if any downgrading. I like the Haslet hiring. He brings old school LBer mentality to the LBers?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 11:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: I don't think the coaches are that big of a deal. Most are leaving for either the money and more responsibility and some perhaps for the personal challenge of turning losing franchises around. It's not as if these guys are going to have to apply for food stamps with their new teams. Some are probably just taking a gamble hoping for bigger and better opportunity. There are other position coaches out there and I don't think we'll see much if any downgrading. I like the Haslet hiring. He brings old school LBer mentality to the LBers?
I'm actually shocked we don't see the headline "Bountygate's Haslett hired to coach Burfict, Bengals LB's" on ESPN right now.  At least he's an experienced coach, I wonder if the team will give Guenther some more talent to work with there, and if so maybe Haslett brings out the best in them like he did at Pitt. 
Reply/Quote
Hue and Vance are the only guys I'd like to still have around, and I can accept that they had opportunities you just can't pass up.

Carrier: I think they asked him to leave. No one walks away from a coaching job on a #2 defense without having anywhere else to go.

Burke: Those linebackers didn't do much without Burfict in there.

Hays: That line doesn't do much without Atkins firing on all cylinders. Add to the disappointing trajectories of Hunt, Thompson, Still, Clarke, and every other under-achiever in the Lewis era... He's not the Hayes brother I want to say goodbye to most, but I'm just fine with him moving on.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 09:03 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: CB: Denard, Kirkpatrick, Shaw (we'll be fine there)
S: Williams and Smith (Fine there too)

Assuming we don't bring any FA's back. This is why the team builds through the draft. If this is the starting line-up next season, they are all young players that have been in the system, so there shouldn't be a big drop off, if any from a personnel standpoint.

(01-15-2016, 09:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: There's basically no depth there in the secondary. It's not like our secondary guys don't miss any games cause they do and sometimes two at a time. The above is the rock bottom minimum we'd need to run the defense.

They're holding steady in that they have young talent with some experience, but they aren't totally set.  Nelson will price himself out of Cincy, Iloka will be tagged unless signed, no way they pass on him for 10M.  They'll likely land another mid round body at corner or safety, and sign a descent cut vet.  In terms of coaching, the secondary needs addressed but the DL coach needs to keep the pressure coming to take pressure off of the DBs. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:05 AM)phil413 Wrote: I'm actually shocked we don't see the headline "Bountygate's Haslett hired to coach Burfict, Bengals LB's" on ESPN right now.  At least he's an experienced coach, I wonder if the team will give Guenther some more talent to work with there, and if so maybe Haslett brings out the best in them like he did at Pitt. 

Haslett was part of bounty gate? I thought that was williams.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 08:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I believe it is a pro-survival thing to depart a ship when it's sinking. The faster it's going down, the fast you depart.

Wow, drama much?  This team just went 12-4.  The defense was the best in franchise history.  The large core of the players are returning.  The ship is not sinking.  C'mon man.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:26 AM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: Wow, drama much?  This team just went 12-4.  The defense was the best in franchise history.  The large core of the players are returning.  The ship is not sinking.  C'mon man.

Rep
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:24 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Haslett was part of bounty gate?   I thought that was williams.

I don't know what I'm thinking, Payton was the HC that year anyway. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 11:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: A DB coach leaves without another job.  They don't make the money to do that. The logical conclusion is he was politely asked to leave.

After Adam Jones has the best year at CB of his career, and Nelson leads the league in INT?

For some reason that doesn't seem likely. You ask people to leave when they suck, not when they've had multiple players having career years... but then again, this is the Bengals and Lewis gets to stay despite being the worst postseason coach in NFL history. So who the hell knows how things work in this franchise.

I *MIGHT* buy it if it didn't come on the same day Jay Hayes made a lateral move to TB after Dunlap has a career year and Geno Atkins is All-Pro. Oh, and Matt Burke also took a lateral move to be Miami's LB coach instead.

One is one thing, two is suspicious, three is outright blatant. Something's going on.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 08:54 PM)3wt Wrote: I expected Jackson and Joseph.   But with Hayes and Carrier leaving it does kind of feel like the rats are deserting the ship.

I guess Piano Man is dumber than a rat.......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:18 AM)gobobro Wrote: Hue and Vance are the only guys I'd like to still have around, and I can accept that they had opportunities you just can't pass up.

Carrier: I think they asked him to leave. No one walks away from a coaching job on a #2 defense without having anywhere else to go.

Burke: Those linebackers didn't  do much without Burfict in there.

Hays: That line doesn't do much without Atkins firing on all cylinders. Add to the disappointing trajectories of Hunt, Thompson, Still, Clarke, and every other under-achiever in the Lewis era... He's not the Hayes brother I want to say goodbye to most, but I'm just fine with him moving on.

I can agree with this....but Billy Joel , Jr. can't get Bodine going ,can't do much without top round talent , has been here since the Shula era , yet he stays? Something ain't right there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote