Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reasons for optimism
(09-29-2020, 05:32 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yep! To a player, a real player, there's no such thing as moral victories. You've won or you've lost. Those who are happy with losses continue to have them.

Yup! You play? I played Safety and Tailback...
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 04:31 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: 1 Joe Burrow he is playing better every week.
2 31st ranked schedule 2nd easiest schedule remaining
3 XSF He played good against Chargers Running game might improve with his return
4 Geno Run D might improve with his return
5 Competitive nobody is blowing us out. Most competent we have looked through 3 weeks since Marvin's 2nd to last season
6 We are playing better every week
7 No significant injuries
8 Extra playoff spot our poor start might not kill us and with Joe he gives us a chance
9 Improvement from rookies LB's seem to be improving along with Tee\
10 Lawson may have had his breakout game. He was beating Peters 1 on 1 no easy task.

to be honest you could have just stopped there.  

if he's playing like this with minimal offensive balance/awful run game , poor O Line, no pre season, limited training camp....then that is super encouraging long term.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 04:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Pass coverage seems improved.
Jonah Williams looks like best or second-best OL on the team already.
Reader appears to be a good FA signing.
Burrow has kept the team in games.
I don't see the Bengals being worst team in the league this year. I see the NY teams (at least) being the worst.

I believe our pass defense is ranked 9th... Gotta love that considering they weren't getting to the QB at all until the eagles game.. Probably had alot to do with the other teams running at will too..
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Those are just Super Bowl Champions.

Last year almost half of the teams that made the playoffs finished n the bottom half of the league in run defense (Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks, Forty-niners, Texans)

Do you argue just for the sake of arguing? You are legit trying to say a shit run defense is fine..
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 05:39 PM)BengalChris Wrote:  Look that stat up! How many teams have been in 4th (last) place in their division for 19 straight weeks over the past two years? 

The Forty-niner only won 17 games in 4 years before going to the Super Bowl last year

The year before that the Bears won 12 games after finishing in 4th place for 4 straight years.

The year before that the Jags went o the Conference Championship game after averaging LESS THAN 4 wins per season the previous FIVE years.

Some NFL team moves from the bottom to the top almost every year.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 06:10 PM)Tony Wrote: Do you argue just for the sake of arguing? You are legit trying to say a shit run defense is fine..

All I am doing is posting FACTS.  Lots of teams make the playoffs with poor run defenses.  
Reply/Quote
We’re one day closer to picking #1OA two drafts in a row.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 06:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Forty-niner only won 17 games in 4 years before going to the Super Bowl last year

The year before that the Bears won 12 games after finishing in 4th place for 4 straight years.

The year before that the Jags went o the Conference Championship game after averaging LESS THAN 4 wins per season the previous FIVE years.

Some NFL team moves from the bottom to the top almost every year.

Not exactly sure what prior last place finishes have to do with the following year.

I just checked the record and the Bengals are still in 4th (last) place. They have to become a 1st place team or a 2nd place team or sometimes a 3rd place team makes it to the playoffs, however sometimes a 2nd place team does not. 4th place teams don't make the playoffs, at least none has ever in the past.

To date, Taylor has never had the Bengals higher than 4th (last) place in the division, not even for a game.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 06:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All I am doing is posting FACTS.  Lots of teams make the playoffs with poor run defenses.  

I'd still rather have a good run stopping D. It's not like our offense is KC or any of those teams to keep up..
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 05:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That sounds like actual optimism to me. If you're going to get annoyed any time people doubt a 2-16-1 HC you're treading a rough path.

I say doubt away.  There's a couple dozen threads for it.  Is it really a crime to try to look on the bright side of anything?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 07:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Not exactly sure what prior last place finishes have to do with the following year.

I just checked the record and the Bengals are still in 4th (last) place. They have to become a 1st place team or a 2nd place team or sometimes a 3rd place team makes it to the playoffs, however sometimes a 2nd place team does not. 4th place teams don't make the playoffs, at least none has ever in the past.

To date, Taylor has never had the Bengals higher than 4th (last) place in the division, not even for a game.

Well considering there has only been 2 playoff spots per conference until this year, that's completely understandable that a 4th place team has never made the playoffs. Potential, however so slight, does exist
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:38 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Well considering there has only been 2 playoff spots per conference until this year, that's completely understandable that a 4th place team has never made the playoffs. Potential, however so slight, does exist

For a 4th place team in a division to make the playoffs that team would have to have a better record than the 2nd place teams in each of the other divisions. I don't think that has ever happened. I do remember an 11-5 NE team that didn't make the playoffs the year Brady was injured.

There'd have to be one really, really strong division and three really, really weak divisions.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 07:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Not exactly sure what prior last place finishes have to do with the following year.

I have no idea.  You were the one making such a big deal about us finishing in 4th place last year, so you tell me.

(09-29-2020, 07:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I just checked the record and the Bengals are still in 4th (last) place.

Last I checked the standings after three games don't have anything to do with making the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 04:31 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: 1 Joe Burrow he is playing better every week.
2 31st ranked schedule 2nd easiest schedule remaining
3 XSF He played good against Chargers Running game might improve with his return
4 Geno Run D might improve with his return
5 Competitive nobody is blowing us out. Most competent we have looked through 3 weeks since Marvin's 2nd to last season
6 We are playing better every week
7 No significant injuries
8 Extra playoff spot our poor start might not kill us and with Joe he gives us a chance
9 Improvement from rookies LB's seem to be improving along with Tee\
10 Lawson may have had his breakout game. He was beating Peters 1 on 1 no easy task.

1 Agreed...
2 We are winless against meh teams at best.
3 I don't remember XSF looking all that good.
4 We can only hope Geno brings something.
5 Pretty sure we were in the hunt for the division 3 weeks into 2018. We were in first after week 2.
6 Maybe
7 I got nothin...
8 Let's win a game before we even think about the extra playoff spot... Buffalo, KC, Pitt, Baltimore, New England, Tennessee... That looks kinda full to me.
9 and 10 I agree
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no idea.  You were the one making such a big deal about us finishing in 4th place last year, so you tell me.

Last I checked the standings after three games don't have anything to do with making the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure these last 3 games will matter for the playoffs.....
Reply/Quote
Lawson looked great but Jason Peters looks old
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote