Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Could be worse, we could live in California
https://www.foxbusiness.com/small-business/california-killing-another-industry-families-need

It appears home and business insurance is becoming a nightmare with high prices and lack of choice. This is an example of state government creating major issues with insurance companies with mandates on price and coverage.

So, Geiko is gone and State Farm is leaving.
"California is destroying an industry that working families and job creators desperately need."

"These are real problems, but any insurance company can simply price them into their policies. What can’t be priced is government control and over-regulation. That’s what’s really driving State Farm out of California."
"Working families will suffer the most from this government-driven exodus, yet they’re receiving the least attention."

California is a mess. Businesses and working class people are fleeing the state and this is just one more example of too much government negatively impacting their citizens.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I noticed that both you and the opinion writer chose to ignore the arguably more serious issue in Florida concerning the lack of available home owner insurance. The difference is that Newsome will work to fix the problem while DeSantis ignored it in favor of the culture war he hopes to further his personal political ambitions

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 12:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.foxbusiness.com/small-business/california-killing-another-industry-families-need

It appears home and business insurance is becoming a nightmare with high prices and lack of choice. This is an example of state government creating major issues with insurance companies with mandates on price and coverage.

"California is destroying an industry that working families and job creators desperately need."

"These are real problems, but any insurance company can simply price them into their policies. What can’t be priced is government control and over-regulation. That’s what’s really driving State Farm out of California."
"Working families will suffer the most from this government-driven exodus, yet they’re receiving the least attention."

California is a mess. Businesses and working class people are fleeing the state and this is just one more example of too much government negatively impacting their citizens.

Big Government is always bad
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 02:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Big Government is always bad

Except for when it is in libraries, or bathrooms, or your gynecologist's office, or classrooms, or amusement parks, or school sports, or...

(06-05-2023, 01:58 PM)pally Wrote: I noticed that both you and the opinion writer chose to ignore the arguably more serious issue in Florida concerning the lack of available home owner insurance.  The difference is that Newsome will work to fix the problem while DeSantis ignored it in favor of the culture war he hopes to further his personal political ambitions

Alternative title: Statefarm cares more about their bottom line than people.
Reply/Quote
This article unintentionally makes a fantastic argument for why insurance should be provided by government rather than private business.

Quote:Consider what State Farm has gone through in the past few years. In light of soaring costs, it recently tried to raise the price of fire insurance. Instead, the state forced the company to cut rates. That’s a quick way to drive companies out of business, since they can’t make enough money to cover payments to people who file claims. This is Economics 101, which apparently doesn’t get taught in California classrooms.

In other words, the insurance companies tried to price out people who needed their insurance because it was too costly to their bottom line to actually provide insurance for their customers.

If you remove the profit motive and provide certain types of insurance as a safety feature subsidized by the government in the interest of protecting its citizens from ruinous catastrophes (like forest fires burning their house down) and insuring their safety and prosperity, the customers would be better off.

As a side note, I found this part funny:
Quote:I say this as the CEO of insurance and real estate companies. I also moved my business out of California several years ago, largely because the state makes it harder to serve customers. I firmly believe that State Farm had no choice but to leave California. If it had stayed, it would have been regulated to death.

It's always nice when opinion writers are up front and honest about their inherent biases regarding the topic they're "critiquing." 
Reply/Quote
Can anyone explain why Germany and other European countries provide quality healthcare for citizens at half the cost per capita of what the U.S. spends?

That shouldn't be possible if "big government" is always bad.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 03:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This article unintentionally makes a fantastic argument for why insurance should be provided by government rather than private business.
In other words, the insurance companies tried to price out people who needed their insurance because it was too costly to their bottom line to actually provide insurance for their customers.

If you remove the profit motive and provide certain types of insurance as a safety feature subsidized by the government in the interest of protecting its citizens from ruinous catastrophes (like forest fires burning their house down) and insuring their safety and prosperity, the customers would be better off.

Yowp! Someone just answered my question!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 02:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Big Government is always bad

That would explain why libertarians always win elections.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 01:58 PM)pally Wrote: I noticed that both you and the opinion writer chose to ignore the arguably more serious issue in Florida concerning the lack of available home owner insurance.  The difference is that Newsome will work to fix the problem while DeSantis ignored it in favor of the culture war he hopes to further his personal political ambitions

Newsome is an eff'ing clown and worse than useless.  Under his administration the quality of life in CA has nosedived.  This is certainly subjective, but this list has us 33rd in the nation.  

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

This is also from 2021, and things are noticeably worse here now.  Don't drink the national media Kool-Aid on Newsome, he's a rich boy clown who only cares about power and virtue signaling.  I wouldn't pour water on him if he was on fire.

(06-05-2023, 02:58 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Alternative title: Statefarm cares more about their bottom line than people.

State Farm is garbage, my sister is dealing with them right now and is having a horrible time.  I had a slab leak recently (what she's currently dealing with) and have USAA.  The miserableness of dealing with the actual problem aside, USAA was a dream to work with.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 05:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Newsome is an eff'ing clown and worse than useless.  Under his administration the quality of life in CA has nosedived.  This is certainly subjective, but this list has us 33rd in the nation.  

I'm telling ya, we're a couple of totally reasonable old dude deaths away from Make America Florida VS Make America California in 2024.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 05:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm telling ya, we're a couple of totally reasonable old dude deaths away from Make America Florida VS Make America California in 2024.

I pray I'm correct, but I don't think Newsome's coastal elitism plays well in the mid-west.  Believe me, the guy is an empty headed buffoon.  Many on the left have labeled DeSantis as "Trump with a brain".   Newsome would never be accused of that, either the Trump or brain part.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 05:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I pray I'm correct, but I don't think Newsome's coastal elitism plays well in the mid-west.  Believe me, the guy is an empty headed buffoon.  Many on the left have labeled DeSantis as "Trump with a brain".   Newsome would never be accused of that, either the Trump or brain part.

Yea but Newsome and DeSantis both know what is best for us peasants...we want it.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 05:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I pray I'm correct, but I don't think Newsome's coastal elitism plays well in the mid-west.  Believe me, the guy is an empty headed buffoon.  Many on the left have labeled DeSantis as "Trump with a brain".   Newsome would never be accused of that, either the Trump or brain part.

I probably qualify as closer in ideology to a coastal elite than a mid westerner, and even I think Newsome is a shit candidate.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 06:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I probably qualify as closer in ideology to a coastal elite than a mid westerner, and even I think Newsome is a shit candidate.

Thank you, you made me feel marginally better.  It is appreciated.   Wink
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 06:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Thank you, you made me feel marginally better.  It is appreciated.   Wink

I could bring you back down and tell you that I haven't seen much to show me that "shit candidate" necessarily means "not a candidate."  We shall see what happens, but at this point if Biden manages to win in 2024 I expect democrats to spend the next 4 years figuring out who is going to run against Trump in 2028.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 06:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Thank you, you made me feel marginally better.  It is appreciated.   Wink

The entire state of California, in my opinion, kind of embodies what I dislike about Liberals. In so many ways, they're all talk, no walk. They preach inclusion, diversity, acceptance etc etc, but their poverty and homelessness rates are out of control, their education system is struggling, they are heavily influenced by Hollywood which, as we know, are a group of ultra wealthy, out of touch, virtue signaling liberals who love black boxes on Facebook and pride flags in their Twitter bios, but hate the idea of paying more taxes to actually improve the lives of other people.

The entire state just screams the old adage "Socially liberal, fiscally conservative" that so many "liberals" hide behind whenever the rubber meets the road and systems that need funding to improve the lives of the people they claim to care about are created.

But this is my view of California from the left. You probably view it as the opposite in some regards :)
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 12:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.foxbusiness.com/small-business/california-killing-another-industry-families-need

You know nothing about insurance. /thread
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 06:44 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: You know nothing about insurance.  /thread

I do know about business for profit. Newsome took away insurance companies to raise prices to cover their costs. So, yes the result is many have and are leaving leaving a void for homeowners and businesses.

Allstate just announced they are leaving as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 06:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I could bring you back down and tell you that I haven't seen much to show me that "shit candidate" necessarily means "not a candidate."  We shall see what happens, but at this point if Biden manages to win in 2024 I expect democrats to spend the next 4 years figuring out who is going to run against Trump in 2028.

Oh, I was already aware, so that didn't affect my mood.

(06-05-2023, 06:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The entire state of California, in my opinion, kind of embodies what I dislike about Liberals. In so many ways, they're all talk, no walk. They preach inclusion, diversity, acceptance etc etc, but their poverty and homelessness rates are out of control, their education system is struggling, they are heavily influenced by Hollywood which, as we know, are a group of ultra wealthy, out of touch, virtue signaling liberals who love black boxes on Facebook and pride flags in their Twitter bios, but hate the idea of paying more taxes to actually improve the lives of other people.

The entire state just screams the old adage "Socially liberal, fiscally conservative" that so many "liberals" hide behind whenever the rubber meets the road and systems that need funding to improve the lives of the people they claim to care about are created.

But this is my view of California from the left. You probably view it as the opposite in some regards :)

No, you nailed a lot of it.  There's a lot of rich, white guilt liberals here.  They engage in "activism" to feel better about themselves so they can lay head to pillow every night feeling a little bit less awful about their ancestry.  We also attract the worst of those types from other states, for obvious reasons.  Honestly, the only thing keeping me here is my friends/family, my job and the weather.  I don't know that I'll ever leave but who knows how bad it's going to get here before it starts improving?  Thankfully, I moved to Orange County in 2020, and it's still retaining some semblance of sanity.  Los Angeles isn't as bad as San Francisco, yet.  But they're certainly prepping for a hold my beer moment.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 06:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The entire state of California, in my opinion, kind of embodies what I dislike about Liberals. In so many ways, they're all talk, no walk. They preach inclusion, diversity, acceptance etc etc, but their poverty and homelessness rates are out of control, their education system is struggling, they are heavily influenced by Hollywood which, as we know, are a group of ultra wealthy, out of touch, virtue signaling liberals who love black boxes on Facebook and pride flags in their Twitter bios, but hate the idea of paying more taxes to actually improve the lives of other people.

In what sense, and why, do you think the education system is struggling?
Reply/Quote