Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could this be ?
The best off season in recent history. Team history?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lets see.

We signed an elite LT when healthy
We signed a young Linebacker who has played well
We re-signed our pro bowl glass cannon TE to a prove it deal
We signed an upgrade rotation DT

We get rid of Piano man and his beloved Centre.

If only the Burfict situation hadn't happened i would say ... best ever off-season .. its still damn close.
Reply/Quote
Um?

Added: Brown, Glenn
Lost: Burfict

Kept (Negative): Lewis, Lazor
Lost (Positive): Bodine, A Jones

If that's the best offseason in team history, we all need to be taken behind the woodshed and just be put down. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
im literally waiting for a piano to fall on me because all these good things don't happen to a bengals fan

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 08:47 PM)Okeana Wrote: im literally waiting for a piano to fall on me because all these good things don't happen to a bengals fan

Yeah, kinda walking with the same feeling. This is ridiculous. I almost feel dirty and unworthy. 

Reply/Quote
I think it's been an average off season by NFL standards.

I think it's been a great off season by Bengal standards.
Reply/Quote
Well, many were skeptical when ML was resigned. But he has done as he said. He shook up the coaching staff and brought in his guys, and the team has been more active in the offseason than any time in recent memory.
Reply/Quote
Perhaps Marvin Lewis won his case with Mike Brown for more decision making power over coordinators, coaches, and personnel.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 09:16 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I think it's been an average off season by NFL standards.

Sad, but true
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 08:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Um?

If that's the best offseason in team history, we all need to be taken behind the woodshed and just be put down. Ninja

What’s the news on jones and how did I miss it? I only heard he may need to take a pay cut not that he’d been released.

Edit: just noticed he’s a free agent so they can’t release him they can simply not resign him. Do you think or did you hear they have no interest in resigning him? I for one would be fine with that.
Reply/Quote
In terms of the coaching overall and replacing guys that Mike Brown has held onto way too long (one of his biggest weaknesses is being loyal to a fault)? Definitely.

Bringing in a new offensive line coach is arguably the best thing that could have happened for this team because it gives Andy time to hit our best offensive player in AJ Green and also opens up holes for Mixon, who looks like he could be very good.

In terms of changing the direction of the team and (hopefully) a new, winning attitude? Maybe, but it looks that way.

Bringing in Austin and his aggressive style of being a defensive coordinator will hopefully generate turnovers and bring an energy to the defense and entire team. I'm also hoping that Jones can light a fire in our secondary because we have the talent but they just need to put it on the field.

In terms of bringing in new players to shore-up weaknesses, as well as taking care of our own and getting rid of players we don't want or need? Possibly.

We all hope that we're not finished yet, but the biggest weakness (need) on the team was left tackle (tied with center, which will be addressed with the draft) and we signed a pretty good one in Glenn.

We also signed Baker, which I'm already excited about Billings, so adding another body in rotation is a good thing.

Preston Brown could also be a difference maker.

Getting rid of Hill and making Mixon our main guy, as I mentioned above, was also big.

We need a good draft and maybe even sign a solid vet center that gets released, but I'd say that this is our best offseason in memory ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I'll wait until after the draft.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 11:11 PM)motoarch Wrote: What’s the news on jones and how did I miss it?  I only heard he may need to take a pay cut not that he’d been released.

Edit: just noticed he’s a free agent so they can’t release him they can simply not resign him.  Do you think or did you hear they have no interest in resigning him?  I for one would be fine with that.

He had a team option in the contract, and since he didn't take a paycut, they didn't exercise the option and he was given Free Agency a year early.

I think technically (for the sake of another team signing him and losing a comp pick) it doesn't count as him being cut, but I am nowhere near confident enough in that to swear by it.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 08:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Um?

Jerry

Seriously, it's been a loooong day. What did I miss here?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 11:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He had a team option in the contract, and since he didn't take a paycut, they didn't exercise the option and he was given Free Agency a year early.

I think technically (for the sake of another team signing him and losing a comp pick) it doesn't count as him being cut, but I am nowhere near confident enough in that to swear by it.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like he’s probably gone.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 11:48 PM)Benton Wrote: Jerry

Seriously, it's been a loooong day. What did I miss here?

Well, not lost-lost, but suspended for 4 games.

Last time he got suspended, he came back and wasn't in the best shape, then played like a beast for awhile before getting a season-ending concussion.

4-game suspension means we're likely going to only getting to see 8-10 games of Burfict in 2018 when all is considered. That's a loss.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 09:16 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I think it's been an average off season by NFL standards.

This ^^^

Look at what New England does every year or the Pittsburgh or Dallas or Seattle or Jax or Minnesota (since Zimmer has been there). The Bengals off season isn't quite on par with these teams, but it's great by Mike Brown standards.

Sure, not every signing is going to work out, but I am pretty sure that they work out better than draft picks do on average. When you get a veteran you have lots of tape to look at against quality competition. The draft is a much bigger crap shoot.

For the Bengals, I swear Mike Brown died and his dead corpse is being positioned at his desk so people think he's there.

Reply/Quote
We need a center safety or DE now
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
I don't know. The only recent off season that I saw fans get so excited over was 2010 when we signed TO and did the unthinkable by using a first round pick on a pass-catching TE.

Lots of people talking Super Bowl before that season started.
Reply/Quote

This.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote