Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could this be AJ Green's last year in Cincy?
He is signed through 2019. He will be a free agent in 2020 when he will be 32 years old.

32 is relatively up there in years for a WR. He's had injuries lately.

I still think we should re-sign him, but even if we do...we need to start making plans for when he's no longer here.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 08:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He is signed through 2019. He will be a free agent in 2020 when he will be 32 years old.

I still think we should re-sign him, but even if we do...we need to start making plans for when he's no longer here.

Yes, re-sign him.  Yes, be on the lookout for his replacement.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I expect they I extend AJ this offseason and maybe Boyd too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He will resign. He’s made it pretty clear he wants to stay here his whole career.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 09:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: He will resign. He’s made it pretty clear he wants to stay here his whole career.

Yes, all class is AJ, hope we can get him a ring along with Geno and give them a shot at the HOF.

I find both players to be some of the best at their position of all time, need to reward these guys.

But they also need to show up in the big games for this to happen.

Geno has been held in check in the Playoffs in the past as has AJ.

Need your best players to play their best once you get into the Playoffs to win.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 10:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, all class is AJ, hope we can get him a ring along with Geno and give them a shot at the HOF.

I find both players to be some of the best at their position of all time, need to reward these guys.

But they also need to show up in the big games for this to happen.

Geno has been held in check in the Playoffs in the past as has AJ.

Need your best players to play their best once you get into the Playoffs to win.

They need to put more up and coming talent around him, try to insulate him from some of that physical punishment that can cut his career short.  Besides, if they find someone else that can be the punching bag, I'd almost guarantee that AJ's "splash play" production will increase dramatically.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Whether he continues past 2019 or retires, AJ is a loyal player who will stick with this franchise. He will retire before playing anywhere else I think.

His two role-models are Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson.

Does he take the Fitz route and play as long as he can.
Does he take the CJ route and quit after so much wear and tear.

It's hard to know which path he will take, but I'm thinking he will play out one more contract here.
Reply/Quote
I’d like to re-sign him, but at the appropriate value for an end of his career diminishing WR. He’s great in the locker room and great in the community.
Reply/Quote
It kind of sucks in a big way that Green and Atkins are so great...and both never won anything here. We really squandered opportunities.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 10:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They need to put more up and coming talent around him, try to insulate him from some of that physical punishment that can cut his career short.  Besides, if they find someone else that can be the punching bag, I'd almost guarantee that AJ's "splash play" production will increase dramatically.

Excellent point.  Think how much he would enjoy being in an offense where defenses can't afford to just straight up double him on every play.  nd how much more he would produce.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 12:10 AM)McC Wrote: Excellent point.  Think how much he would enjoy being in an offense where defenses can't afford to just straight up double him on every play.  nd how much more he would produce.

I think that's what the Ross pick was...to insulate Green now and then have Ross replace him later.

It has not worked out according to that plan to say the least.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 12:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that's what the Ross pick was...to insulate Green now and then have Ross replace him later.

It has not worked out according to that plan to say the least.

The best laid plans...

Reply/Quote
I think in Taylors offense AJ is the #1 WR receiver talent wise.
but the ball will be distributed in a way where AJ will be lined up
everywhere but his body wont take a beating.
Reply/Quote
If we have to part with Green, as much as I would resist to it, if it benefits the team, I would support it.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 12:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It kind of sucks in a big way that Green and Atkins are so great...and both never won anything here. We really squandered opportunities.

It’s not over yet...

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 11:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d like to re-sign him, but at the appropriate value for an end of his career diminishing WR. He’s great in the locker room and great in the community.

AJ is not diminishing yet. Aside from his foot injury, his game has not dropped off at all..... he's had some drops, but I think those are more frustration, trying to do too much, and that's nothing winning won't solve.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 09:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: He will resign. He’s made it pretty clear he wants to stay here his whole career.

This.  AJ isn't going anywhere, unless AJ decides himself he wants to leave.  MB owes it to him to try and get that man a ring, IMO.  AJ is the epitome of class, and team player.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 08:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He is signed through 2019. He will be a free agent in 2020 when he will be 32 years old.

well some of that money you all think is for free agents will be going to green most likely before the season starts.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 10:58 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well some of that money you all think is for free agents will be going to green most likely before the season starts.

Green has a $15 million cap hit for this season...so the $50+ million cap space we have projected already factors his contract in.

So signing him to an extension shouldn't stop us from signing free agents.
Reply/Quote

We did make a plan.  His name is John Ross.  

Of course, I think Green will be around far longer than Ross, who may be on the bubble when training camp rolls around.  The new regime may turn him around, but if they don't, I can't see them tying up another roster spot just for him.  It's a prove-it year for John Ross IMO.

But yes, we at least need to develop another Boyd to make Dalton effective with this OL.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote