Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple Bengals on PFF FA rankings
Lawson checks in at 28 overall McKenzie Alexander at 80.

I keep telling people, Carl Lawson will get paid a lot of money this off-season. Look for somewhere between 13-14 per year.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 08:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: Lawson checks in at 28 overall McKenzie Alexander at 80.

I keep telling people, Carl Lawson will get paid a lot of money this off-season. Look for somewhere between 13-14 per year.

Pay them and WJ3 too.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 09:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pay them and WJ3 too.

Pay none of them.

You spend a ton of money paying Lawson/WJ3/Alexander, and all you are going to get is the same crappy defense from 2020 that already had all of them on it. 26th overall, 22nd scoring, 27th turnovers, 32nd sacks. Bringing those same guys back but at much higher dollar values than before doesn't make the team better.

Spend it all on OL instead and you can win some shootouts while protecting your franchise QB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I personally look to secure Mack and let the rest walk. I really don't see a big difference in Mack and WJIII except Mack plays with passion.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think WJIII is gone. This year's CB FA class is pretty weak, so the top of the weak crop will be overpaid.

I hope we keep Lawson. He didn't make it home much, but he was pressuring the QB all year. If he had some help, those pressures will become sacks.

I also like Mack.

Harris, Huber and Wilson too.

A few low level FAs wouldn't be bad, like I thought Hunt and Daniels played decently at DT. If they came back as back ups rather than our de facto starters (due to injury), I'd like that.

The rest can go though.
Green, Williams, Ross, Jackson, Erickson, Carter, Redmond, Bullock, Sims, Bynes, Covington, Thomas, Bledsoe and Evans can all go.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 09:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pay none of them.

You spend a ton of money paying Lawson/WJ3/Alexander, and all you are going to get is the same crappy defense from 2020 that already had all of them on it. 26th overall, 22nd scoring, 27th turnovers, 32nd sacks. Bringing those same guys back but at much higher dollar values than before doesn't make the team better.

Spend it all on OL instead and you can win some shootouts while protecting your franchise QB.

Give this man a gold star finally someone who understands. Never overpay mediocre talent. I do like Alexander lol

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 11:45 PM)Okeana Wrote: Give this man a gold star finally someone who understands. Never overpay mediocre talent. I do like Alexander lol

I think TLL makes a good case, but Lawson is not mediocre.

Reply/Quote
Lawson and Jackson are going to get paid and Alexander might get a good contract as well. Don't be surprised when were not very active in the free agent market and the talk is all about comp picks in 2022.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I’m seeing 3 years of stats while Lawson was in the SEC and 4 years of stats of him in the NFL. I don’t see a single season with double digit sacks. If we are gonna pay this guy to be our premier pass rusher we will continue to have the same results. Really like the guy. But I’m not on board with paying him stupid money for a 5.5 sack year like he had this year. Hell and that was a full 16 games which to this point you only have a 50% chance of getting from him.

I know the sack stat isn’t everything. But it’s one people really care about for a reason. I’m not saying Lawson is a bum. But man. Contract year full time starter full 16 games and seeing that 5.5 makes me more willing to test the waters and see what else is out there
Reply/Quote

We need a total overhaul of the Oline...bad !
Reply/Quote
I like Lawson and WJII but if either price tag is over 10 mil we have to let them walk. Id much rather spend that money on Thuney and Linsley and get top tier performers for those price tags.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 08:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: Lawson checks in at 28 overall McKenzie Alexander at 80.

The franchise tag for DEs last year was 17.7 million, so I think this sounds accurate.  I am not sure I would offer him over the 13 million mark, and perhaps try to load it with incentives, as he really had a lot of injury history and hasn't had a great track record of success before this year.

I am always leary of that type of one year wonder, but Lawson wasn't always given the opportunity to prove himself on non-passing downs before this year, either.  I hope they are able to sign him and he is a part of the team that ascends to new heights.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 01:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The franchise tag for DEs last year was 17.7 million, so I think this sounds accurate.  I am not sure I would offer him over the 13 million mark, and perhaps try to load it with incentives, as he really had a lot of injury history and hasn't had a great track record of success before this year.

I am always leary of that type of one year wonder, but Lawson wasn't always given the opportunity to prove himself on non-passing downs before this year, either.  I hope they are able to sign him and he is a part of the team that ascends to new heights.

I look at him very similar to the Preston Smith/Za Darius Smith contracts GB gave out a couple of years ago. That is why I was figuring something like 4 years and 13/14 per. 
Reply/Quote

Don't hammer me for this, but you surely saw the defense when WJIII and Alexander weren't out there, right?  You don't get better by not signing your best players.  And you won't get the same defense if you have a healthy Reader, Wren, Tupou, and Waynes out there.  

Of course I want them to spend on the offensive line as well, but not at the expense of three of our best players. I think that also sends a dangerous message that the top performers aren't re-signed.  

I think the Bengals could make it work from a cap standpoint with the contracts they are not renewing (Green, S. Williams, Ross) and the potential cuts (Geno, Hart-although I am not too certain about that one) that they could bring in a veteran Guard like Sherff or Thuney and spend a fairly high draft pick on a RT to groom behind Hart (that's why I don't let him go for any guy, even Sewell, that hasn't played in a year) and have a tremendous improvement over much of what sucked in 2020.

Mike Jordan was an absolute disaster and they stuck with him for way too long in 2020.  XSF has proven to be solid, but not great, since returning from injury, and Spain could also be a candidate to start at RG should Thuney or Sherff get the other guard spot.  Maybe they go with a FA tackle and draft a guard.  It all depends on what is out there.  

I would not want to cut Gio or Uzo, but if it meant one of those guys vs. a Thuney or Sherff, then I would do it.  I think a lot of the veteran FAs out there might find contracts not as much to their liking as so many teams are likely to be in cap hell.  The Bengals are actually in a pretty good position of strength.  
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 09:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I personally look to secure Mack and let the rest walk. I really don't see a big difference in Mack and WJIII except Mack plays with passion.

I like Mack a lot and he was more consistent for sure, but I don't think he is an outside corner like WJIII.  If you go with Phillips and Waynes at CB, you are paper thin on depth outside and we saw how the team looked every game where Sims and Davis were rolled out there.   Sick
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 01:13 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I like Mack a lot and he was more consistent for sure, but I don't think he is an outside corner like WJIII.  If you go with Phillips and Waynes at CB, you are paper thin on depth outside and we saw how the team looked every game where Sims and Davis were rolled out there.   Sick

I actually think the CB class is deep enough that we can let WJ3 go test FA and we may get another crack at him if he doesn't like the offers. If not there are comparable guys in FA to WJ3 that shouldn't be much of a drop off for decent money. This FA class is far better than last year. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 01:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: I actually think the CB class is deep enough that we can let WJ3 go test FA and we may get another crack at him if he doesn't like the offers. If not there are comparable guys in FA to WJ3 that shouldn't be much of a drop off for decent money. This FA class is far better than last year. 

Can you post the entire list?  I think WJIII probably wants to end up in Houston, and if I were a CB, this is one of the last places I would want to play with the lack of pass rush.  Not that Houston is any better...hard to believe.  That is one reason I think he is a little undervalued here.  

There is a really good chance we lose him, and if we do, I could see that first pick being a CB.  Not the worst thing in the world, but I would much rather sign him and have that first pick be Chase with a FA signing like Thuney or Sherff....but that is just me.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 12:34 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m seeing 3 years of stats while Lawson was in the SEC and 4 years of stats of him in the NFL. I don’t see a single season with double digit sacks. If we are gonna pay this guy to be our premier pass rusher we will continue to have the same results. Really like the guy. But I’m not on board with paying him stupid money for a 5.5 sack year like he had this year. Hell and that was a full 16 games which to this point you only have a 50% chance of getting from him.

I know the sack stat isn’t everything. But it’s one people really care about for a reason. I’m not saying Lawson is a bum. But man. Contract year full time starter full 16 games and seeing that 5.5 makes me more willing to test the waters and see what else is out there
He was 7th this past season in pressures and lead the NFL in QB Hits with 32 and QB Knockdowns with 23. The guy is going to get paid if healthy he is a 100% worth it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

WJ3 is also on the list at 17th overall.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/free-agency?season=2021
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 01:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: WJ3 is also on the list at 17th overall.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/free-agency?season=2021

They updated it then because I even asked Sam Monson last night where he was. I sorted by CB and he 100% wasn't there so that is interesting.
Reply/Quote