Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple combine measurement notes
Biggest suprise is Williams
Sub 34 inch arms? Williams is a guard in the NFL. Also Lindstrom can play tackle in NFL like he has done I. College. I'm super high on Lindstrom.

68. #Alabama OT Jonah Williams
Height: 6-4 4/8
Weight: 302
Hand: 10 1/8
Arm: 33 5/8
Wingspan: 81 6/8

#NFLCombine key measurements thread…

39. #BostonCollege OL Chris Lindstrom
Height: 6-3 6/8
Weight: 308
Hand: 9 4/8
Arm: 34 1/8
Wingspan: 80 1/8
Reply/Quote
So you are saying a half an inch is the difference between Williams not being able to play tackle and Lindstrom can?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play

You should read that^
Reply/Quote
Apparently Kaleb McGary's arms shrank from the Senior Bowl (33 5/8) to the combine (32 7/8).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 04:47 PM)Synric Wrote: Apparently Kaleb McGary's arms shrank from the Senior Bowl (33 5/8) to the combine (32 7/8).

Good thing that statistically there is no real correlation between arm length and effectiveness in either run blocking or pass blocking. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 04:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Good thing that statistically there is no real correlation between arm length and effectiveness in either run blocking or pass blocking. 

No but we all know length is important.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 04:50 PM)Synric Wrote: No but we all know length is important.

...but it's not that's the point. PFF studied it and there is no real correlation between arm length and performance in either run blocking or pass blocking. Just using this year as an example, of the top 10 graded o linemen this year 6 were tackles and 3 of the 6 were sub 34 inch arm lengths. As PFF points out in there review finding information on UDFAs is a little harder if they didn't go to the combine which could provide some confirmation bias but overall the idea is if a guy is draftable arm length doesn't matter.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 04:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: So you are saying a half an inch is the difference between Williams not being able to play tackle and Lindstrom can?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play

You should read that^

No sorry I just copied and pasted and forgot to delete that part.... I don't think it matters as long as ur 33" plus. Obviously it's gonna be real hard when u go again.st those elite bend players, but I don't really care about arm length.. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 04:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...but it's not that's the point. PFF studied it and there is no real correlation between arm length and performance in either run blocking or pass blocking. Just using this year as an example, of the top 10 graded o linemen this year 6 were tackles and 3 of the 6 were sub 34 inch arm lengths. As PFF points out in there review finding information on UDFAs is a little harder if they didn't go to the combine which could provide some confirmation bias but overall the idea is if a guy is draftable arm length doesn't matter.

And yet the entire football world talks about length is important at offensive tackle.

And the article you are mentioning uses an entire paragraph to explain how its analysis is limited I read it a few years back.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 04:58 PM)Synric Wrote: And yet the entire football world talks about length is important at offensive tackle.

And the article you are mentioning uses an entire paragraph to explain how its analysis is limited I read it a few years back.

Yes, but the entire football world still uses the 40 yard which was developed 50 years ago because it was believed thats how far you'd have to run to cover a punt. We use a 225 bench press for rep, yet no one on the field besides CB's on the defensive side weights 225 and it does not take into account hip drive power which is how blocking and taking on blocks is really done. The NFL is horrible at using antiquated measurements to predict success which is one of the reasons drafting in general is so bad. 

Sure it's limited but it is better than anecdotal evidence which is what is used to say it matters. I mean people like to pretend Joe Thomas didn't have 32 inch arms lol. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yes, but the entire football world still uses the 40 yard which was developed 50 years ago because it was believed thats how far you'd have to run to cover a punt. We use a 225 bench press for rep, yet no one on the field besides CB's on the defensive side weights 225 and it does not take into account hip drive power which is how blocking and taking on blocks is really done. The NFL is horrible at using antiquated measurements to predict success which is one of the reasons drafting in general is so bad. 

Sure it's limited but it is better than anecdotal evidence which is what is used to say it matters. I mean people like to pretend Joe Thomas didn't have 32 inch arms lol. 

That's one tackle with sub 33 inch arms.

Name one more.

Reply/Quote
Average arm length of NFL OTs is 33.5”, so Jonah Williams is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 04:50 PM)Synric Wrote: No but we all know length is important.

It is not how long they are.  It is what you do with them.

Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:10 PM)Synric Wrote: That's one tackle with sub 33 inch arms.

Name one more.

Jake Long
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Average arm length of NFL OTs is 33.5”, so Jonah Williams is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, there are a lot of current starters ranging from 33 1/4 and up. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: Jake Long

I forgot about Jake Long thought the closest was Bulga who was over 33 but only two tackles in 15+ years should tell you something. 

Have to agree to disagree on on this.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:28 PM)Synric Wrote: I forgot about Jake Long thought the closest was Bulga who was over 33 but only two tackles in 15+ years should tell you something. 

Have to agree to disagree on on this.

Well understand where the argument started at, it was a mythical 34 now we are down to 33, and there are A LOT of 33 1/4 out there today and past. There have been sub 33 as pointed out but in many cases most were forced into being guards because of an archaic belief it wouldn't work any shorter.

Just saying, the history of the NFL is full of hard and fast "rules" that over time we have seen don't hold up when people actually go against them. Either way Williams can play tackle lol.
Reply/Quote
Pope from SDSU probably wins the measurement award. 6’7” 320lbs, 11”1/8 hands, 34”1/2 arms
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Well understand where the argument started at, it was a mythical 34 now we are down to 33, and there are A LOT of 33 1/4 out there today and past. There have been sub 33 as pointed out but in many cases most were forced into being guards because of an archaic belief it wouldn't work any shorter.

Just saying, the history of the NFL is full of hard and fast "rules" that over time we have seen don't hold up when people actually go against them. Either way Williams can play tackle lol.

Williams has the length it might not be the best but he makes up for it with sound technique.

I was just pointing out a nearly a full inch discrepancy in McGary's from the senior bowl to the combine. 

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Williams has the length it might not be the best but he makes up for it with sound technique.

I was just pointing out a nearly a full inch discrepancy in McGary's from the senior bowl to the combine. 

Which is part of the problem because the person and method of measurement does have an impact, presidencies from one measurement to another is not something new. Which is why I don't worry too much about it.
Reply/Quote
I'd draft Jonah Williams at 11 to play OT and not even think twice about it. In fact I hope teams do overthink it so he slides to the Bengals.
Reply/Quote