Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cover 2/Tampa 2 and how to beat it
(09-21-2022, 09:41 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

There's a play in the Steeler game where Boyd is running wide the hell open on a slant and Joe had time to hit him. But he crashes out of the pocket and gets sacked.

I love Joe Burrow, he's one of if not the best thing that's ever happened to Cincinnati ! But these first two games he has most definitely been part of the problem.

I have complete faith he'll come out of it/ I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later.

There's Joe not being Joe so far, and then there's a crap ton of communication issues up front, which was highlighted in the Mixon thread with video. It's been a trainwreck thus far. They cut out the turnovers Sunday, hoping they take the next step this Sunday. If not, they're gonna be in a hole I'm not sure they can get out of.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Ironically, I think you beat cover 2 by doing some of what the Jets did in the good old Mike White game vs the Bengals last year. Use underneath short throws and utilize the RB in the passing game. It didn't net big gains, but it was death by a thousand cuts to a defense that was built to stop big plays.

Would it be criminal to take one of the most loaded skill groups in the league and have them run an offense designed for a 3rd string quarterback in near emergency scenario? In the long term, sure. However, the Bengals' offense needs to prove to teams that they can hurt defenses when they go all in to prevent big plays. They haven't yet and it's come at a steep price.

If you look at the seasons in New England when Brady was putting up all-time numbers, you'll see the Moss and Gronk type weapons getting big chinks of yards. What you'll also see is Wes Welker and Juilan Edelman making catches on underneath routes as consistently as clockwork. Defenses always had to pay, even when they managed to cover the downfield weapons because Brady had zero qualms about throwing to the possession guys all day long.

The positive thing is, I think Boyd can do that job as well as anyone. It's not a matter of lacking personnel.

The last 2 weeks are a hiccup in this skill group's development. I feel like they'll be forced to adapt. When they do, all of the issues we're nervous about today will seem like something that never even happened. When they do become proficient at it, they'll be that much harder for defenses to scheme against. You have to make them pick their poison.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2022, 01:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

I said this in the game thread or maybe in a thread shortly after the loss

There should be drives in which we just try and force Chase the ball 3 straight times like ARod did was Devante and how Stafford does with Kupp. Chase had 10 catches week one but was only targeted 3 times week 2. That’s unacceptable. You’d think over feeding a guy would hurt your offense but when that guy is Chase it can only help. It would also make the game easier for Burrow.

Burrow is a spread it around QB and i know it’s kind against his style to try and force it to a guy but Chase should average 10 targets a game minimum. He’s that good. It’s a sign of HORRIBLE/STUPID coaching when you can’t get your main guy the ball.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
He's in the shotgun 70+% of the time. Oline is backing up on nearly every snap to protect him and defenses know that so they're teeing off on it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:34 PM)J24 Wrote: They'll e eventually figure it out but I would also point out that Dallas and Pittsburgh are really good to great Defenses. With two game wreckers in Parsons and Watt. The oppossing scheme isn't the issue. Its the players they're going against.

I have a hard time coming up with a team that doesn't have a really good player on defense.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 01:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: He's in the shotgun 70+% of the time. Oline is backing up on nearly every snap to protect him and defenses know that so they're teeing off on it..

Kruger sports or whatever his name is highlighted this in a video

Some of the sacks, the line backed up and waited for the defensive lineman to initiate contact and by the time they did the lineman were in Burrows lap.

There just seems to be a lot of fundamental stuff wrong with our o line play. Never played o line so maybe a poster who has can tell me why you do this.
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 01:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Things that make you say hmmmm Hmm
Reply/Quote