Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cover songs
This was a thread on the old board I figured it was worth reviving. What are some of your favorite covers of songs? For instance some people say Guns N Roses cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door is superior to Bob Dylan's 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hendrix version of "Watchtower"

John Coltrane version of "My Favorite Things"
Reply/Quote
Judas Priest's cover of Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I am not a big Indigo Girls fan or anything like that, but they do a killer cover of "Tangled Up In Blue". Don't know what CD it is on, but it is a live concert.
Reply/Quote
Of course Van Halen is quite known for their covers.

However the one that gets overlooked was their version of the Kinks song Where Have All The Good Times Gone.

DLR singing Happy Trails was quite good too as well as Big Bad Bill.

Van Halen will always be remembered as Eddie tappin' out guitar solos and DLR's antics.

They were much much more than that.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Stings version of "Little Wing"

Stevie Ray Vaughn also did a good cover of that song.
Reply/Quote
Michael Hedges is a bit obscure, but he is one of my favorite guitar players ever. He did a cool cover of Shelia E's "Love Bizarre"
Reply/Quote
The song "Take me to the River" by Talking Heads is actually an old Al Green tune.
Reply/Quote
Grateful Dead did a killer version of "Not Fade Away" (Buddy Holly)
Reply/Quote
Disturbed's Sound of Silence
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 05:51 PM)Bryan Wrote: This was a thread on the old board I figured it was worth reviving. What are some of your favorite covers of songs? For instance some people say Guns N Roses cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door is superior to Bob Dylan's 
No, just no! I watched G&R play it live. They can't carry Dylan's jock. I've performed this song both ways many times over the years and I can tell you with absolute certainty that Dylan's version goes over much better with 90% of the audience. 
(05-01-2016, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hendrix version of "Watchtower"

John Coltrane version of "My Favorite Things"
Hendrix version is great and is the one that I do but again we're talking about Dylan here. This is a tough one for me but I will give this one to Jimi but it's damn close.
(05-01-2016, 11:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Stings version of "Little Wing"

Stevie Ray Vaughn also did a good cover of that song.
Love Sting but SRV by a landslide.
(05-02-2016, 12:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Disturbed's Sound of Silence
I've seen Disturbed live in P-cola and loved them. Dude absolutely kills it but now we're talking about S&G...Tie. Wts, dude does sing the crap out of it. Perhaps slight edge to Disturbed.
Reply/Quote
The song "Black Betty" has been recorded by about 20 different artist/bands but none hold a candle to Ram Jam's version and that's just the simple truth.

"People get Ready" has been recorded by Eva Cassidy (she kills it vocally and plays it with a slightly faster tempo), Rod Stewart meh..ok, and Curtis Mayfield.

Curtis Mayfield knocks it clean out of the park.

"Smooth Criminal" by MJ is awesome but Alien Ant Farm is right there with him on this one imo....Tie. AAF, killed it though.

I recently listened to a very good remake of Paul Simon's "Diamond on the Soles of her Shoes" featuring Alanna Boudreau.

Absolute worst remake/cover of ALL time is when Metallica ruined "Turn the Page"...Not sure what they were thinking but that was horrible!!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 12:25 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: No, just no! I watched G&R play it live. They can't carry Dylan's jock. I've performed this song both ways many times over the years and I can tell you with absolute certainty that Dylan's version goes over much better with 90% of the audience. 
Hendrix version is great and is the one that I do but again we're talking about Dylan here. This is a tough one for me but I will give this one to Jimi but it's damn close.
Love Sting but SRV by a landslide.
I've seen Disturbed live in P-cola and loved them. Dude absolutely kills it but now we're talking about S&G...Tie. Wts, dude does sing the crap out of it. Perhaps slight edge to Disturbed.
I actually prefer Bob Dylan's version but I like the GNR version too. I think the GNR version gets more radio play too.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 12:38 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: "People get Ready" has been recorded by Eva Cassidy (she kills it vocally and plays it with a slightly faster tempo), Rod Stewart meh..ok, and Curtis Mayfield.

"Smooth Criminal" by MJ is awesome but Alien Ant Farm is right there with him on this one imo....Tie. AAF, killed it though.

Absolute worst remake/cover of ALL time is when Metallica ruined "Turn the Page"...Not sure what they were thinking but that was horrible!!
I agree with everything here.

Jeff Beck being the highlight of the Rod Stewart remake... and I'm not really a fan of JB.

Smooth Criminal by AA takes that song to another level.

Metallica's version of Turn The Page totally sucks. 

That slide guitar is the cherry on top of that shit sundae.

Your other post I agree with SRV on Little Wing. 

Some of his best soulful playing in my opinion.

The Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower kicks the crap out of Dylan's.

Sorry, that one is not even close IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 11:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Michael Hedges is a bit obscure, but he is one of my favorite guitar players ever.  He did a cool cover of Shelia E's "Love Bizarre"

Hedges' album Live on the Double Planet is pretty impressive. It is surprising he is not more well known. Leo Kottke is in that same category - incredible, even if not well known, guitar player.

In that same vein, some here know Lonnie Mack just passed. Talk about underrated! Many guitarists, including Clapton and SRV, cited Mack's influence. So among guitar players he was highly regarded but he was not all that well known to the general public.

Now, on the the cover question. The cover of Prince's Purple Rain that Springsteen opened shows with last week was pretty sweet. I also like the Santana cover of While my Guitar Gently Weeps, as well as the Rock Hall of Fame cover of that song with Tom Petty, Prince and others.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah' may be the best cover of all time. 

Here's one most have never heard

-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 12:38 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: "People get Ready" has been recorded by Eva Cassidy (she kills it vocally and plays it with a slightly faster tempo), Rod Stewart meh..ok, and Curtis Mayfield.

The Persuasions do this song really well.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 12:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Disturbed's Sound of Silence

+1

And ill ad metallica's Turn the Page.
Reply/Quote
Pressure Drop by the Clash

Last Caress by Metallica (duh)

I'll think of more and report back.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote