Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cover songs
sorry it was MJ's Beat It

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 08:35 PM)xxlt Wrote: Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCOqXK7sX-4

Technically this is a cover. Bill played the guitar on the original with the band Commander Cody, however it did not include the fun narrative bridge/history of the electric guitar. Enjoy. There is a cleaner recording on the CD Hot Rod Lincoln Live, plus lots of good truck drivin' songs like Lookin' At the World Through a Windshield.

Thoroughly dig, thanks for sharing.....I see he does a duet with Junior Brown, who is an absolute guitar beast.  He needs to do a version of "Roll on Big Mama" Wink 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 08:35 PM)xxlt Wrote: Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCOqXK7sX-4

Technically this is a cover. Bill played the guitar on the original with the band Commander Cody, however it did not include the fun narrative bridge/history of the electric guitar. Enjoy. There is a cleaner recording on the CD Hot Rod Lincoln Live, plus lots of good truck drivin' songs like Lookin' At the World Through a Windshield.

In the same vein of "technically this is a cover" - Both Jefferson Airplane songs "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love" were originally done by Grace Slick's previous band.  I heard the original for "Somebody to Love" (called "Someone to Love" by the original) and Jefferson Airplane was much better.  I can't see how "White Rabbit" could be topped by the original and it definitely wasn't in the many subsequent covers I've heard.

Another many may not know was a cover and especially who did the original would be "Love Hurts" originally done by Roy Orbison and improved by Nazareth.  I like Orbison a lot but in this case a band that was just okay overall did a better version.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:59 AM)jason Wrote: Pressure Drop by the Clash

Last Caress by Metallica (duh)

I'll think of more and report back.

Not only did they do "Last Caress" better but "Breadfan" was much better by Metallica than Budgie.

I agree with those saying "Turn the Page" elicits the response of "turn it off".  But speaking of Seger, one of his best known songs "Old Time Rock and Roll" was originally done by Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section (you may recognize that name from Lynyrd Skynyrd's line "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers" and the Swampers was another name for the band).  The Swampers did some good stuff but there is a reason Seger's version is more known.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2016, 04:27 PM)Penn Wrote: Not only did they do "Last Caress" better but "Breadfan" was much better by Metallica than Budgie.

I agree with those saying "Turn the Page" elicits the response of "turn it off".  But speaking of Seger, one of his best known songs "Old Time Rock and Roll" was originally done by Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section (you may recognize that name from Lynyrd Skynyrd's line "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers" and the Swampers was another name for the band).  The Swampers did some good stuff but there is a reason Seger's version is more known.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2016, 04:15 PM)Penn Wrote: In the same vein of "technically this is a cover" - Both Jefferson Airplane songs "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love" were originally done by Grace Slick's previous band.  I heard the original for "Somebody to Love" (called "Someone to Love" by the original) and Jefferson Airplane was much better.  I can't see how "White Rabbit" could be topped by the original and it definitely wasn't in the many subsequent covers I've heard.

Another many may not know was a cover and especially who did the original would be "Love Hurts" originally done by Roy Orbison and improved by Nazareth.  I like Orbison a lot but in this case a band that was just okay overall did a better version.
That was the Everly Brothers my man....Not Roy Orbison.

I like Grahm Parsons' version of that song the best myself.

I agree with you about Breadfan. I like Metallica's version of Stone Cold Crazy better than Queen's as well.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2016, 04:27 PM)Penn Wrote: Not only did they do "Last Caress" better but "Breadfan" was much better by Metallica than Budgie.

Mo-town gets entirely too much credit for a sound that was helped greatly by the Swampers in Muscle Shoals. The Swampers did some "good stuff" is the understatement of the century.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2016, 10:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Thoroughly dig, thanks for sharing.....I see he does a duet with Junior Brown, who is an absolute guitar beast.  He needs to do a version of "Roll on Big Mama" Wink 

ThumbsUp

Junior is something... On your request, the closest I could find is Moe & Joe with Bill Kirchen on a collection... http://www.virtualtruckroute.com/store_music_2.html

More covers: Junior Brown's Surf Medley, SRV and Dick Dale Pipeline, and Los Straitjackets My Heart Will Go On (aka The Love Theme from Titanic). You guitar fans probably know Los Straitjackets, but if you don't let me tell you Danny Amis and Eddie Angel are the real deal: lots of good covers (like Sing Sing Sing and State Fair) and lots of good original tunes too! Conan O'Brian has had them as guest many, many times if you want to check You Tube for videos with good sound - I am sure there are lots of other live "bootlleg" ones too.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

There is a great documentary on Netflix called "Muscle Shoals." Of course, the Swampers are featured... same church, different pew is "The Wrecking Crew" about studio musicians who were on ALL KINDS of music that you wouldn't suspect had all the same players... some of you weirdos would no doubt enjoy these films as much as I did...
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2016, 08:12 AM)xxlt Wrote: There is a great documentary on Netflix called "Muscle Shoals." Of course, the Swampers are featured... same church, different pew is "The Wrecking Crew" about studio musicians who were on ALL KINDS of music that you wouldn't suspect had all the same players... some of you weirdos would no doubt enjoy these films as much as I did...

I still need to watch The Wrecking Crew but I have heard that is very good. I guess you can color me "weirdo"...haha...I loved Muscle Shoals and of course The Eagles doc. is amazing.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2016, 10:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote:

That version is in Dawn of the Dead (2004) and it's freaking great.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2016, 02:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That version is in Dawn of the Dead (2004) and it's freaking great.

yeah i never knew about him till i heard that in the elevator i was a distrubed fan. so i thought it sounded like the sickness so i had to rewind and listen a few more times.... then i had to look up who the hell it was.

All his songs are covers and done in this kinda style. metallicas sandman was funny
Reply/Quote
I was just reminded of my favorite original and cover where I really like both. "Working My Way Back to You" originally by The Four Seasons, and then covered by The Spinners. I really like both versions.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Let's bump this.

Reply/Quote