Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cover songs
(05-02-2016, 04:24 AM)Bryan Wrote: I actually prefer Bob Dylan's version but I like the GNR version too. I think the GNR version gets more radio play too.
I feel ya and have no doubt that G&R's version gets more airplay. A lot of it has to do with demographics and geography. For instance here in the South Dylan's version is by far the more popular version. In other parts of the country such as Ohio and other Northern states the G&R version is probably more popular. Weird but true.
(05-02-2016, 08:14 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I agree with everything here.

Jeff Beck being the highlight of the Rod Stewart remake... and I'm not really a fan of JB.

Smooth Criminal by AA takes that song to another level.

Metallica's version of Turn The Page totally sucks. 

That slide guitar is the cherry on top of that shit sundae.

Your other post I agree with SRV on Little Wing. 

Some of his best soulful playing in my opinion.

The Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower kicks the crap out of Dylan's.

Sorry, that one is not even close IMO.
I can't really disagree with you about Watchtower, but it's hard for me to knock very hard on a genius and legend.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 11:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The song "Take me to the River" by Talking Heads is actually an old Al Green tune.

Yep....and I like the version by Delbert McClinton too.

(05-01-2016, 11:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Grateful Dead did a killer version of "Not Fade Away" (Buddy Holly)

Absolutely, The Dead does many a killer cover.

Three of my faves are Columbus Stockade Blues by Leon Russell, and Statesboro Blues and You Don't Love Me/Soul Serenade by The Allman Brothers Band.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Speaking of Leon Russell, the live cover of "Jumping Jack Flash/Young Blood" he did with George Harrison and others at The Concert for Bangladesh.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 08:29 AM)xxlt Wrote: Hedges' album Live on the Double Planet is pretty impressive. It is surprising he is not more well known. Leo Kottke is in that same category - incredible, even if not well known, guitar player.

In that same vein, some here know Lonnie Mack just passed. Talk about underrated! Many guitarists, including Clapton and SRV, cited Mack's influence. So among guitar players he was highly regarded but he was not all that well known to the general public.

Now, on the the cover question. The cover of Prince's Purple Rain that Springsteen opened shows with last week was pretty sweet. I also like the Santana cover of While my Guitar Gently Weeps, as well as the Rock Hall of Fame cover of that song with Tom Petty, Prince and others.

A guy I used to work with turned me on to Leo Kottke about ten years ago. I had no idea who he was, then I listened to him play. Wow!
Reply/Quote
Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade (amazing band!) did a lot of Pink Floyd covers.  One of their CDs was a cover of the entire Animals album.  

The CD Live Frogs Set 1 has a great cover of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"  as well as a cover of King Crimson's "Thela Hun Ginjit"(sp?)
Reply/Quote
I recently made a couple Covers cd of songs I really like.  Here is the playlists.

1. Ruby, Don't Take Your Guns to Town- The Killers
2. Don't Fear the Reaper- Wilco
3. Walk of Life- Shooter Jennings
4. Hot in Here- Widespread Panic
5. The Wanderer- Johnny Cash and U2
6. Black-  Aaron Lewis
7. Tuesday's Gone- Metalica
8. Gentle on my Mind- Glen Campbell
9. Dead Flowers- Townes Van Zandt
10. This Time- Waylon Jennings
11. Simple Man- Shinedown
12. Long Black Veil- Dave Matthews Band
13. One for My Baby- Willie Nelson

Cover II-
1. Intro to.....
2.  All Along the Watchtower- Dave Matthews Band
3. Tiny Dancer- Ben Folds
4. Over the Rainbow- Willie Nelson
5. I Walk the Line- Live
6. Gin and Juice- some jam band
7. Secret Agent Man- REM
8. Free Bird- Phish
9. Imagine- A Perfect Circle
10. Never Been to Spain- Elvis Pressley
11. Lake of Fire- Nirvana
12. Dancing in the Moonlight- Smashing Pumpkins
13. Tainted Love- Marilyn Manson
14. Lonesome, On'ry, and Mean- Waylon Jennings
15. Fight for Your Right- Big and Rich
16. Kaw-Liga- Charlie Pride
17. Sweet Jane- Cowboy Junkies
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 03:18 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: 8. Gentle on my Mind- Glen Campbell

I always thought that was a Glen Campbell song

(05-02-2016, 03:18 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: 8. Free Bird- Phish

I got to hear that.
Reply/Quote
Csn't believe I forgeot this one.

I saw Ben Harper live one time and his encore was "Sexual Healing/Whole lot of Love" ran together as one long jam.

Weird combo, but it worked.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 04:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I always thought that was a Glen Campbell song

Originally it was a John Hartford song. I also love the Dean Martin version of it.

I got to hear that.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
If you have not heard The Gourds doing Gin and Juice, it is a must:

Also any Hard Rock cover by Steve 'N' Seagulls:

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Darling Nikki. Foo Fighters did it (I think it was just in concert, I've only heard it on some less than trustworthy downloads). I'm not a huge Prince fan as his voice always kind of put me off, but that song is a lot of fun and they brought it out.

Also, Wagon Wheel by OCMS, which took off a Dylan demo.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 04:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you have not heard The Gourds doing Gin and Juice, it is a must:

Also any Hard Rock cover by Steve 'N' Seagulls:

Both are fine re-makes. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 05:14 PM)Benton Wrote: Darling Nikki. Foo Fighters did it (I think it was just in concert, I've only heard it on some less than trustworthy downloads). I'm not a huge Prince fan as his voice always kind of put me off, but that song is a lot of fun and they brought it out.

It was the B-Side on the 'Have It All' single. You can pick up the CD on Amazon for $148. It was also on the vinyl only Record Store Day release 'Medium Rare', which you can grab on eBay for under $40.

Forgot these two:

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 04:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Also any Hard Rock cover by Steve 'N' Seagulls:

Yeah actually their Iron Maiden and Pantera covers are the best.

I can't stand Phil Anselmo but this cover of Cemetery Gates is the schiznit.

Especially the guitar solo on the accordion.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
One of the coolest covers I've heard lately...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBjyl1LvBF4
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 12:38 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Absolute worst remake/cover of ALL time is when Metallica ruined "Turn the Page"...Not sure what they were thinking but that was horrible!!

Funny thing about this.  I had the radio on tonight, this song came on, and my wife looked up from her cross-stitching and said, "who the hell is that, that sucks."  I swear to god.  I told her it was Metallica, and she told me they need to stick to their "own shit".

Never even knew she payed that much attention to music.  But she apparently likes her Seger.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 10:46 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Funny thing about this.  I had the radio on tonight, this song came on, and my wife looked up from her cross-stitching and said, "who the hell is that, that sucks."  I swear to god.  I told her it was Metallica, and she told me they need to stick to their "own shit".

Never even knew she payed that much attention to music.  But she apparently likes her Seger.
 Lol...Kudos to her for knowing crap when she hears it. Sounds like you have a good one. Better take her out dinner this weekend.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 02:12 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: A guy I used to work with turned me on to Leo Kottke about ten years ago. I had no idea who he was, then I listened to him play. Wow!

Yeah, I kind of go into overload when I listen to him. It is good but just overwhelms me.

Now, an even less well known player that has some fans among other guitarists is a guy whose stage name is Unknown Hinson. You can find multiple videos of him on You Tube. He is very funny and when he wants to he can shred it.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade (amazing band!) did a lot of Pink Floyd covers.  One of their CDs was a cover of the entire Animals album.  

The CD Live Frogs Set 1 has a great cover of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"  as well as a cover of King Crimson's "Thela Hun Ginjit"(sp?)

Reminded me of Government Mule's CD "Dark Side of the Mule." It is exquisite.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:30 PM)xxlt Wrote: Yeah, I kind of go into overload when I listen to him. It is good but just overwhelms me.

Now, an even less well known player that has some fans among other guitarists is a guy whose stage name is Unknown Hinson. You can find multiple videos of him on You Tube. He is very funny and when he wants to he can shred it.
That's Early Kyler's voice from Squidbillies.

He's a hoot!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote