Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cover songs
(05-02-2016, 11:11 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote:  Lol...Kudos to her for knowing crap when she hears it. Sounds like you have a good one. Better take her out dinner this weekend.  Rock On

Most assuredly.  I owe her a lot.  You guys all need to take your wives and mother's out this weekend.  They put up with us.  And that's probably no easy task.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:30 PM)xxlt Wrote: Yeah, I kind of go into overload when I listen to him. It is good but just overwhelms me.

Now, an even less well known player that has some fans among other guitarists is a guy whose stage name is Unknown Hinson. You can find multiple videos of him on You Tube. He is very funny and when he wants to he can shred it.
 Will definitely check him out.
(05-02-2016, 11:32 PM)xxlt Wrote: Reminded me of Government Mule's CD "Dark Side of the Mule." It is exquisite.
Love Haynes and Mule!
(05-03-2016, 12:13 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's Early Kyler's voice from Squidbillies.

He's a hoot!
Gonna give it a listen.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 12:21 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Most assuredly.  I owe her a lot.  You guys all need to take your wives and mother's out this weekend.  They put up with us.  And that's probably no easy task.

No doubt!
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 12:13 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's Early Kyler's voice from Squidbillies.

He's a hoot!

Damn straight. Early Cuyler baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me want to start my day with some party licker!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 03:18 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I recently made a couple Covers cd of songs I really like.  Here is the playlists.

1. Ruby, Don't Take Your Guns to Town- The Killers
2. Don't Fear the Reaper- Wilco
3. Walk of Life- Shooter Jennings
4. Hot in Here- Widespread Panic
5. The Wanderer- Johnny Cash and U2
6. Black-  Aaron Lewis
7. Tuesday's Gone- Metalica
8. Gentle on my Mind- Glen Campbell
9. Dead Flowers- Townes Van Zandt
10. This Time- Waylon Jennings
11. Simple Man- Shinedown
12. Long Black Veil- Dave Matthews Band
13. One for My Baby- Willie Nelson

Cover II-
1. Intro to.....
2.  All Along the Watchtower- Dave Matthews Band
3. Tiny Dancer- Ben Folds
4. Over the Rainbow- Willie Nelson
5. I Walk the Line- Live
6. Gin and Juice- some jam band
7. Secret Agent Man- REM
8. Free Bird- Phish
9. Imagine- A Perfect Circle
10. Never Been to Spain- Elvis Pressley
11. Lake of Fire- Nirvana
12. Dancing in the Moonlight- Smashing Pumpkins
13. Tainted Love- Marilyn Manson
14. Lonesome, On'ry, and Mean- Waylon Jennings
15. Fight for Your Right- Big and Rich
16. Kaw-Liga- Charlie Pride
17. Sweet Jane- Cowboy Junkies

I thought this was an original release by Waylon.

Another cover I love better than the original is David Allan Coe's version of Ruby.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

He's a hoot!

Yep, and like xxlt says, dude can wail on the guitfiddle.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 05:51 PM)Bryan Wrote: This was a thread on the old board I figured it was worth reviving. What are some of your favorite covers of songs? For instance some people say Guns N Roses cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door is superior to Bob Dylan's 

I like Dylan's better than Clapton's or GnR, and GnR's Live and Let Die is awful.

For me the best cover that took an awful song and made it great was Manfred Mann doing Blinded by the Light.

The worst. Some chick (Sheryl Crow?) covered Cum on Feel the Noise which brought awfulness to a new level. I think Quiet Riot covered from someone.

Van Halen's Pretty Woman is great.

I think Dazed and Confused was a Yardbird song, but if it is I've never heard it to compare.

Metallica's Turn the Page is pretty close to bad.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 02:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I like Dylan's better than Clapton's or GnR, and GnR's Live and Let Die is awful.

For me the best cover that took an awful song and made it great was Manfred Mann doing Blinded by the Light.

The worst. Some chick (Sheryl Crow?) covered Cum on Feel the Noise which brought awfulness to a new level. I think Quiet Riot covered from someone.

Van Halen's Pretty Woman is great.

I think Dazed and Confused was a Yardbird song, but if it is I've never heard it to compare.

Metallica's Turn the Page is pretty close to bad.

Speaking of The Yardbirds, their version of "Smokestack Lightning" is killer.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 02:17 PM)Wyche Wrote:  I thought this was an original release by Waylon.

Another cover I love better than the original is David Allan Coe's version of Ruby.

Its actually a Steve Young song.  He also originally wrote, and the Eagles covered "Seven Bridges Road".  One of my all time favorite songs.

I don't know if I've heard DAC's Ruby before.........
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Warron Zevon's cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door is amazing.  He recorded it shortly before his death. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 02:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The worst. Some chick (Sheryl Crow?) covered Cum on Feel the Noise which brought awfulness to a new level. I think Quiet Riot covered from someone.

Reminds me of the recent cover by some chick of Paint It Black. Man that was bad.

Weird thing, though, I've heard that song by the Stones on two live performances and I thought they were both pretty bad. It's just the old studio version that's any good.
(05-03-2016, 03:09 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Warron Zevon's cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door is amazing.  He recorded it shortly before his death. 
Just about anything by Warren Zevon is great.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 03:08 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Its actually a Steve Young song.  He also originally wrote, and the Eagles covered "Seven Bridges Road".  One of my all time favorite songs.

I don't know if I've heard DAC's Ruby before.........

Yeah, I knew Young wrote the song, but Waylon was the first to release it.  In that regard, the entire Honky Tonk Heroes album would be a cover of Billy Joe Shaver.  I had no idea that Steve wrote "Seven Bridges Road"....that is a great song.

Yeah, DAC's version is stripped down and haunting.  He also does a great job on "(Tell Me Baby) Why You Been Gone So Long".

Reply/Quote
Sinead O'Connor - "Nothing Compares To You" by Prince
Shaka Khan - "I Feel For You" by Prince
Earth, Wind and Fire - "Got To Get You Into My Life" by The Beatles or how about everyone who did a song off Sgt. Peppers.
Tarrence Trent D'Arby - "Who's Loving You" by Smokey Robinson
Reply/Quote
Damn. Speaking of the Yardbirds.

I almost forgot Gary Moore's epic cover of Shapes of Things.

Some people may hate it.

That was one of the fledgling songs of his career that made me a lifelong fan.

Just an awesome guitar player. Rock & Blues He played it all with fire and emotion.

May he rest in peace.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 07:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, I knew Young wrote the song, but Waylon was the first to release it.  In that regard, the entire Honky Tonk Heroes album would be a cover of Billy Joe Shaver.  I had no idea that Steve wrote "Seven Bridges Road"....that is a great song.

Yeah, DAC's version is stripped down and haunting.  He also does a great job on "(Tell Me Baby) Why You Been Gone So Long".

Honky Tonk makes me think of two things... 1. Harlan Pepper in Best in Show (if you don't know you really are missing out on comedy gold) and 2. Bill Kirchen, a true master of the electric guitar and the truck drivin' and Honky Tonk songs. If you've never heard Bill do Hot Rod Lincoln and you are a guitar fan prepare to have your mind blown - yeah that is him playing every lick in the bridge. From the 1950's to the modern era he gives a shout out and plays the hottest guitar licks of numerous players. A true treat for electric guitar fans. It is like hearing mini-covers of multiple songs and just a really fun number.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Richard Cheese - Sickness (orginaly by distrubed)

Also like his cover of big butts and MJ's Bad
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 06:54 AM)xxlt Wrote: Honky Tonk makes me think of two things... 1. Harlan Pepper in Best in Show (if you don't know you really are missing out on comedy gold) and 2. Bill Kirchen, a true master of the electric guitar and the truck drivin' and Honky Tonk songs. If you've never heard Bill do Hot Rod Lincoln and you are a guitar fan prepare to have your mind blown - yeah that is him playing every lick in the bridge. From the 1950's to the modern era he gives a shout out and plays the hottest guitar licks of numerous players. A true treat for electric guitar fans. It is like hearing mini-covers of multiple songs and just a really fun number.

Cool, I'll have to check that out.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 05:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Cool, I'll have to check that out.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCOqXK7sX-4

Technically this is a cover. Bill played the guitar on the original with the band Commander Cody, however it did not include the fun narrative bridge/history of the electric guitar. Enjoy. There is a cleaner recording on the CD Hot Rod Lincoln Live, plus lots of good truck drivin' songs like Lookin' At the World Through a Windshield.
Reply/Quote
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder)
Reply/Quote
"Mercury Blues" is a funny one for me. When I was in my young 20's and Allen Jackson covered the Steve Miller hit, I liked it.

Now, as a little wiser and more seasoned musician, I don't much care for Jackson's version (even though I can do it if requested) but I really dig Miller's funky/groovy version much more.

Just goes to show how our musical tastes and influences can change/morph over time.
Reply/Quote