Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Mark Pike
Mark Pike, who played for the Bills, died on Wednesday.

He went to the same high school I did and opened a gym near here when he retired from the NFL.

When I was 17, my therapists said that I wouldn't improve anymore and that it was a waste for me to keep coming to therapy, but I wasn't happy with where I was with my walking or how my arms functioned. My old man went to Mark and talked to him about buying a membership, but Mark gave me a free membership and then set me up with a trainer to work with me for free and set me up with a workout program.

Then, when I started having a friend bring me, he gave them a free membership, too!

Whenever I'd slack off and miss a few days, if I saw him out, he'd always make fun of me and tell me to get my ass back in the gym. That always motivated me to keep trying.

Quote:Mark Pike, one of the top standouts on special teams coverage units for the 1990's AFC champion Bills, died Wednesday following a battle with Non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

Pike, who spent his entire 13-year NFL career with the Bills, suited up for 173 games for Buffalo after the club made him a seventh-round pick in 1986. He backed up Hall of Famer Bruce Smith on the defensive line for many of those years.

Pike, 57, was a Dixie Heights High School graduate and played at Georgia Tech before being drafted in 1986.

There's more in the link and I'd take a look because it's a good read.

RIP.

I'll raise a glass for you tonight, brother.
Reply/Quote
Sounded like a total class act on and off the football field.

RIP, gone too soon.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 05:22 AM)magikod Wrote: Sounded like a total class act on and off the football field.

RIP, gone too soon.

HUGE understatement. 

He's the kind of dude you'd always want to be around and that would give you the shirt off his back.

You'd also never know he was rich or famous because he treated everyone the same.
Reply/Quote