Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Covid-19 Discussion (Non-Political Only)
(03-22-2020, 06:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not to be morbid, but the florist example makes me wonder how funerals are being handled at this point of time...

Crematorium for infected people.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 12:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I got SAF two weeks ago. Felt fluish Friday evening, then Sunday felt so bad went to a convenient care. When I got there I had a fever of 101, so not horrible, but I’m kinda one of those wimpy guys that women make fun of that can’t function with a fever over 99. Anyway, my nose was swabbed (but not really. Barely touched a nose hair, I think the girl swabbing wasn’t trained correctly). Test came back negative for flu and even tho I was coughing like a madman, doc said my lungs sounded clear, but sent me to hospital for chest X-ray, which also came back clear. She prescribed me prednisone, cough suppressant and an antibiotic. I missed work M-T-W then went to work Thursday because I hadn’t had a fever in a few days (chest and stomach felt horrible due to the coughing). Thursday afternoon, left work early and went to family dr. He started treating me for pneumonia after listening to my chest. I missed work Friday as well. I was able to go to work last week, but the coughing is still bad. I have a huge bruise on my right side about 2x7 inches long which I can’t even imagine how it got there. Then Friday after work (2 days ago), in a coughing spree, it felt like someone hit my upper right back muscle with a spoon. The pain is real. Think I might have pulled a muscle.

My wife got sick 3 days after mine started with the same symptoms. Dry cough, fever, etc. She missed 4 days of work as well. I took her to the Dr. that Thursday and she tested positive for influenza A. She has been in so much pain it has brought her to tears (totally unlike her. Sickness doesn’t bring her down, but this time has floored her). I feel bad if I gave it to her, but also inevitable as we spend so much time together. She insisted on taking care of me before she got it, and as mentioned above, I’m a wimp when sick so wouldn’t have argued with her anyway. However, seeing her in so much pain made me feel horrible.

Fast forward to today, we both are still suffering from the cough. At least now it’s not always dry and can actually get some of that crap out of our lungs. With me not having a true diagnosis of what I had, and my wife being diagnosed with inf-A, I’m hoping that we both have already been infected with coved-19 (I’ve read about many cases of contracting both viruses at once - although not common). In both our cases, neither of us has ever been this sick before. If not, we both worry of getting it because we haven’t fully recovered from this one. She has low risk because she’s locked in at home. My risk is much higher due to my employment and the industry I work in. I guess we shall see, but in this house, there are two sets of fingers crossed.

You gotta watch those "minute" clinics.  I was sick several years ago and was misdiagnosed by one.

After visiting I took their instructions/medication and almost died.

Thank God I went to a doctor that caught the sever pneumonia and treated it aggressively.

After about 2 days I felt immediately better.

That incident was a wake up call about seeking better medical attention when there is a problem.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:48 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Two experiences.

1) My wife's father passed away after acquiring COVID-19 in Europe earlier this week. We was a stroke victim and had been bed-ridden in a care home for several years. So, his passing was not entirely a shock. Just a bit earlier than expected.

2) A high school friend of mine in Chicago has a 14-year old son who has acquired the virus. He has asthma and his immune system was previously compromised. When his breathing difficulties became worse than normal, they took him in and at the hospital he was tested and came up positive. Fortunately, he is at a hospital and has excellent care and equipment. But even then, they are not sure. They can only treat symptoms as there is no cure yet for the disease.

Sorry to hear.

A girl I used to work with has been diagnosed with it. Im on day nine of being sick with something. I've seen two doctors who both think it night be corona, but their hospital policy at the time was not to test unless you've come into contact with someone known to be infected, or unless you've been out of the country. I've gotten better but still feeling pretty drained. So we're just under self quarantine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You gotta watch those "minute" clinics.  I was sick several years ago and was misdiagnosed by one.

Thank God I went to a doctor that caught the sever pneumonia and treated it aggressively.

That incident was a wake up call about seeking better medical attention when there is a problem.

I normally won’t go to the dr unless I’m really bad. In this case, I was really bad and that was my only option, but your right. Next time i will not go there, but wait for my Dr to come in or go to ER.
(03-22-2020, 09:13 PM)Benton Wrote: Sorry to hear.

A girl I used to work with has been diagnosed with it. Im on day nine of being sick with something. I've seen two doctors who both think it night be corona, but their hospital policy at the time was not to test unless you've come into contact with someone known to be infected, or unless you've been out of the country. I've gotten better but still feeling pretty drained. So we're just under self quarantine.

How is the breathing and lung capacity? How’s the cough? I am currently in my 20th day, wife 16.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I normally won’t go to the dr unless I’m really bad. In this case, I was really bad and that was my only option, but your right. Next time i will not go there, but wait for my Dr to come in or go to ER.

How is the breathing and lung capacity? How’s the cough? I am currently in my 20th day, wife 16.
Lu gs are good, chest hurts. Cough is still pretty rough but better.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:07 AM)Benton Wrote: Lu gs are good, chest hurts. Cough is still pretty rough but better.

Glad your getting better.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:13 PM)Benton Wrote: A girl I used to work with has been diagnosed with it. Im on day nine of being sick with something. I've seen two doctors who both think it night be corona, but their hospital policy at the time was not to test unless you've come into contact with someone known to be infected, or unless you've been out of the country. I've gotten better but still feeling pretty drained. So we're just under self quarantine.

Hope you are getting better.

(03-23-2020, 07:41 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Glad your getting better.

Hope you and the wife are doing better as well.  Both of you please keep us updated on how you are doing.

I got a bit weirded out yesterday because I kept having to clear my throat and felt a little congested.  But I think it is just allergies.  I mowed my lawn yesterday and I think it was just debris in the air I was breathing in from mowing.  No fever and it has cleared up now.  

My Mom is still having a hard time dealing with this as a person over age 70.  She has not been sleeping well and told me today she wakes up several times a night.  When she called me today I asked her to make a deal with me to stop following the news and not log in to Facebook after 6:00 PM because I think it gets stuck in her mind when she reads all the bad news and doesn't help her rest.  She does those adult coloring books so I told her to do that in the evening, try to exercise a bit, and do anything not related to following the Covid-19 news.  I'm going to send her a text tonight at 6PM to remind her.

It kind of sucks because she only lives 10 miles from me and I wish I could do more to make her feel better.  I made sure she has plenty of food and other supplies before this got to the point it is. But we decided it was best to not visit in person for awhile.  Her husband is at risk due to prior lung cancer and the treatment involved having part of his left lung removed.  So I won't get to see her for who knows how long.   Laugh all you want, but I would appreciate a hug from my Mom right now.

That is one issue I think is not talked about as much as it should be, and that is the psychological impact it is having on people.  Many people are not used to being isolated. People are not used to being restricted from visiting people they care about.  So I suggest if there is someone you know, a friend or family member that may not be dealing with this well, give them a call, email, or video chat and spend some time just talking to them. Maybe it is a good time to contact that old friend you have been meaning to talk to but just didn't for one reason or another to check in and say hello.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 04:43 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Hope you are getting better.

Hope you and the wife are doing better as well.  Both of you please keep us updated on how you are doing.

I got a bit weirded out yesterday because I kept having to clear my throat and felt a little congested.  But I think it is just allergies.  I mowed my lawn yesterday and I think it was just debris in the air I was breathing in from mowing.  No fever and it has cleared up now.  

My Mom is still having a hard time dealing with this as a person over age 70.  She has not been sleeping well and told me today she wakes up several times a night.  When she called me today I asked her to make a deal with me to stop following the news and not log in to Facebook after 6:00 PM because I think it gets stuck in her mind when she reads all the bad news and doesn't help her rest.  She does those adult coloring books so I told her to do that in the evening, try to exercise a bit, and do anything not related to following the Covid-19 news.  I'm going to send her a text tonight at 6PM to remind her.

It kind of sucks because she only lives 10 miles from me and I wish I could do more to make her feel better.  I made sure she has plenty of food and other supplies before this got to the point it is. But we decided it was best to not visit in person for awhile.  Her husband is at risk due to prior lung cancer and the treatment involved having part of his left lung removed.  So I won't get to see her for awhile.   Laugh all you want, but I would appreciate a hug from my Mom right now.  

That is one issue I think is not talked about as much as it should be, and that is the psychological impact it is having on people.  Many people are not used to being isolated.  So I suggest if there is someone you know, a friend or family member that may not be dealing with this well, give them a call, email, or video chat and spend some time just talking to them.  Maybe it is a good time to contact that old friend you have been meaning to talk to but just didn't for one reason or another to check in and say hello.

Thanks George. Sounds like your doing the right things. I can only imagine the paranoia your mom must be feeling. FB is so full of crap and every other post is COVID related. It would be cool if people just did what they were being asked to do. Don't go out unless you need to. Maybe that way it would free up some TP and hand sanitizer. People are creating a state of scarcity and they really don't need to do so. There is still enough to go around for everyone and the trucks are moving. Really no need for it. Also, the youth need to take this seriously. I mean, we were all young once and we thought we were invincible and knew everything, yet we weren't and we didn't know shit. 

With all the confusion and uncertainty right now, there is one thing I'm sure of and it's that I've washed my damn hands so much in the last few weeks it's driving me crazy. I've never been afraid of germs until after getting sick because it's going to take a few more weeks to get my strength back together, and I don't want to catch Covid (if I didn't already have it) while trying to recover from whatever else it was I was dealing with. Geez.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 12:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I got SAF two weeks ago. Felt fluish Friday evening, then Sunday felt so bad went to a convenient care. When I got there I had a fever of 101, so not horrible, but I’m kinda one of those wimpy guys that women make fun of that can’t function with a fever over 99. Anyway, my nose was swabbed (but not really. Barely touched a nose hair, I think the girl swabbing wasn’t trained correctly). Test came back negative for flu and even tho I was coughing like a madman, doc said my lungs sounded clear, but sent me to hospital for chest X-ray, which also came back clear. She prescribed me prednisone, cough suppressant and an antibiotic. I missed work M-T-W then went to work Thursday because I hadn’t had a fever in a few days (chest and stomach felt horrible due to the coughing). Thursday afternoon, left work early and went to family dr. He started treating me for pneumonia after listening to my chest. I missed work Friday as well. I was able to go to work last week, but the coughing is still bad. I have a huge bruise on my right side about 2x7 inches long which I can’t even imagine how it got there. Then Friday after work (2 days ago), in a coughing spree, it felt like someone hit my upper right back muscle with a spoon. The pain is real. Think I might have pulled a muscle.

My wife got sick 3 days after mine started with the same symptoms. Dry cough, fever, etc. She missed 4 days of work as well. I took her to the Dr. that Thursday and she tested positive for influenza A. She has been in so much pain it has brought her to tears (totally unlike her. Sickness doesn’t bring her down, but this time has floored her). I feel bad if I gave it to her, but also inevitable as we spend so much time together. She insisted on taking care of me before she got it, and as mentioned above, I’m a wimp when sick so wouldn’t have argued with her anyway. However, seeing her in so much pain made me feel horrible.

Fast forward to today, we both are still suffering from the cough. At least now it’s not always dry and can actually get some of that crap out of our lungs. With me not having a true diagnosis of what I had, and my wife being diagnosed with inf-A, I’m hoping that we both have already been infected with coved-19 (I’ve read about many cases of contracting both viruses at once - although not common). In both our cases, neither of us has ever been this sick before. If not, we both worry of getting it because we haven’t fully recovered from this one. She has low risk because she’s locked in at home. My risk is much higher due to my employment and the industry I work in. I guess we shall see, but in this house, there are two sets of fingers crossed.

Sounds like you had the flu. Depending upon which flu test they use the false negative rate can be as high as 40%. Which means 40% of the time when the test tells you negative, it’s really positive. In many situations you can’t trust a negative result.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 09:08 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: @Bengalzona  I'm sorry to hear that this has affected your family and friends directly.

@HarleyDog  Tell your drivers we appreciate their hard work keeping the supply chain going.  I imagine this is a very stressful time for them.  But things would be much worse if they didn't work so hard to keep supplies flowing.

As for things here.  I posted in the original thread in P&R before this one was made.  My VA outpatient clinic called me yesterday and they are shutting down until further notice.  They are moving most of the staff to the main hospital.

Went to Kroger today and they are doing a good job keeping things stocked the best they can.  They even had a pallet of TP and people were not rushing to grab it so I think maybe that has settled down a bit. The canned meat aisle was empty aside from Skyline Chili.  I think they have a distribution center near here so that may be why.   Plenty of eggs but limited to 2 cartons per person.  There was a fair amount of ground beef and fresh produce. The pasta aisle was barren aside from pasta sauce. Overall they had plenty of food but maybe not what people prefer to eat.  You can kind of tell what people don't like based on the supply.  

People are still not getting the whole social distancing thing though.  I had a number of people get rather close to me while grabbing items they wanted.

My mom has been really stressed out and I field calls from her several times a day about this.  She gets a lot of misinformation though because she spends a lot of time on Facebook.  So I end up talking her down from a panic state about some post she read on Facebook.  I've tried to convince her to take a break from it but she is a bit stubborn.  Her husband is a lung cancer survivor so he is at risk and he is stubborn as well.  I'm having a heck of a time trying to convince him to avoid going out in public when he doesn't need to.  Overall I am just doing what I can to keep them both calm and healthy.  I'm glad I can be there for them tough.

I put some of my Christmas lights back up in the front of my house.  I read an article the other day where people are doing it as a message of hope and to try to add a bit of cheer.  So I figured why the heck not?  I actually kind of like having them back up.  Only one other house on my street has done the same so far.   I hope it catches on.
Well done! The part about misinformation is the really disturbing thing to me. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:13 PM)Benton Wrote: Sorry to hear.

Current policy locally based upon CDC guidelines and lack of tests is that you won’t be tested even if you come in contact with a confirmed case of Covid-19 unless you’re sick enough to be admitted. If you’re symptoms are mild to moderate the recommendations are treat your symptoms and self quarantine until symptom free.

Mayor along with public health department announced last week our district only received 30 tests. Don’t know if that means individual tests or test kits or how many tests are in a kit. But, we have a population of approximately 200K just in the city.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You gotta watch those "minute" clinics.  I was sick several years ago and was misdiagnosed by one.

Out of curiosity, how do you know you were misdiagnosed versus developing a pneumonia as a complication of an upper respiratory infection?
Reply/Quote
Now I know why my wife dumped me a couple of months ago, I'm driving myself nuts!! Lol I have never had this much down time before. Talk to mules everyday and I'm beginning to wonder if they even like me anymore.....
Seriously brothers and sisters, take care of yourselves and don't think we won't get through this, we will!!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 06:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Well done! The part about misinformation is the really disturbing thing to me. 

Yeah, I had a Facebook account for a bit until I saw all the privacy issues and other BS and then I deleted my account.  The amount of bullshit that gets posted there and goes viral is alarming.  As an example, one thing my mom told me she saw posted by people many times on FB was a rumor that people over 70 would not receive medical treatment if they got sick with Covid-19 due to lack of resources.   So she was a bit worried people her age would just be left on their own if they get sick. My mom is no dummy but at her age she isn't the best at understanding the ways of the Internet. So seeing things like that spread on FB, I can see why she would be concerned.

Then there is all the other BS posted on social media. People posting things like breathing in hot air from a hair dryer to kill coronavirus and shit like that.  The Internet is a great thing for many reasons, but it also gives a lot of idiots and people with no real knowledge a larger voice than they should have.

Sorry going a bit off topic here.  So I'll leave it at that.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
In other news, you probably already know it by now. All businesses in Kentucky that are nonessential retail businesses are closed to in-person traffic.

"Grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, gas stations, liquor outlets, auto parts and repair shops, pet stores, UPS, specialty food stores and other businesses considered to be essential."

I kind of wonder how liquor stores are considered essential, but I don't mind. :)

But a lot of people that work at those nonessential retail stores are going to be without work.

Also my suggestion, if you get a parcel delivery via USPS, UPS, FedEx or Amazon, give them a tip if you can. The people out there making all those deliveries of things you ordered don't make very much. So toss them a few bucks if you can. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 08:29 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: In other news, you probably already know it by now.  All businesses in Kentucky that are nonessential retail businesses are closed to in-person traffic.  

"Grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, gas stations, liquor outlets, auto parts and repair shops, pet stores, UPS, specialty food stores and other businesses considered to be essential."

I kind of wonder how liquor stores are considered essential, but I don't mind.  :)

Alcohol is an American necessity. Specially if your locked in a house with family and bad weather. I’ve never been more eager to mow the yard and have a nice cold beer after. Then dink many more before I break out the power tools. LOL

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 06:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Out of curiosity, how do you know you were misdiagnosed versus developing a pneumonia as a complication of an upper respiratory infection?

I don't know a 100%

I went to the clinic and by my symptoms it was believed that I had contracted the flu but was past the point of Tamiflu to help.

They told me to ride it out and take over the counter medicine to alleviate my condition.

As I worsened(trouble breathing, dramatic loss of appetite, other issues) I then again went to the same clinic and the doctor told me "at least you don't have pneumonia" and gave me other meds.

Two days later I said f it and went to a hospital to see a doctor because I could barely breathe.

About 2-5 minutes into my visit the doctor said that I have pneumonia.

Immediate treatments and complete change of meds and my issues were resolving.

So no. I don't know for sure.

That particular "minute clinic" felt off. Even on the initial visit.

The scary part is I'm not the only one I know that has questioned the same place.

I'm not going to condemn them all, but I will never go back to that one!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 08:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Alcohol is an American necessity. Specially if your locked in a house with family and bad weather. I’ve never been more eager to mow the yard and have a nice cold beer after. Then dink many more before I break out the power tools. LOL

That's true. We already know what happened during Prohibition.  Probably better to leave the stores open than having shady characters trying to sell homemade hooch from the trunk of their cars.  :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 08:29 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I kind of wonder how liquor stores are considered essential, but I don't mind.  :)

Because alcohol sanitizes the body...

... and the soul!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 06:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Current policy locally based upon CDC guidelines and lack of tests is that you won’t be tested even if you come in contact with a confirmed case of Covid-19 unless you’re sick enough to be admitted. If you’re symptoms are mild to moderate the recommendations are treat your symptoms and self quarantine until symptom free.

Mayor along with public health department announced last week our district only received 30 tests. Don’t know if that means individual tests or test kits or how many tests are in a kit. But, we have a population of approximately 200K just in the city.

And we've got .... 35,000.

In my entire county.

Hilarious

I'm ok with not getting tested. End of the day, I've got something and im taking precautions so others don't get it, same as I would if I had the flu or any other contagious illness.

I'm a little bugged my wife can't get tested though. She's a nurse. They're giving her grief about not going to work but at the same time telling her not to come to work if she has symptoms.
Reply/Quote