Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Covid Lab Leak Confirmed?
(06-14-2023, 07:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Methinks the racism came via Americans looking to blame people who fit a vague racial profile.  Again, easy for me to brush off but I'm not some Asian American who got to be tacitly labeled as "the enemy" by the oh so powerful powers that be and the media.  I'm sure it sucks for white people to be called racists at the drop of a hat, but it probably also sucks to have Asian heritage and try to go about your life while people are harassing you about releasing covid on them.

The media doesn't cause misguided hatred and division, people cause misguided hatred and division.

you dont think the media feeds the racism? they call everything racist anymore. if you dare have an opinion that aint theres, your a racist.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: While I too consider the CCP to be monstrous and would not put biological warfare past them, I feel like the incompetence angle is much more likely. Don't get me wrong, the conspiracy theorist side of me definitely sees the narrative of the CCP unleashing this as a form of population control on their own people (their aging population has a potential to cause a lot of issues for their economy) All that being said, I think the accidental leak is a more likely scenario.

I agree that human incompetence is far more likely than clever conspiracy.  I honestly hadn't considered the population control for China side of that equation.  I did consider it being yet another tool to ratchet down the control of their own people, but they may already be at 1984 standards in that regard already.  Thanks for giving me a new angle to consider for my conspiracy scrapbook.   Wink

Quote:That's what I don't get, to be honest. The original story looked bad for Trump because his reduction of staff in China and throwing out the pandemic response plan that was handed to him by the Obama administration really contributed to the problem. So you would think the media would have ate that shit up with a spoon and he would've pushed against the lab leak idea. Instead, we had the media pushing the story from the administration, which was Fauci et al, and Trump going against his own administration. 

The pandemic really was a weird situation. 

Precisely.  So much doesn't make sense, which makes one think you're not viewing it from the proper angle.  One thing is for sure, the past three years have given conspiracy theorists a huge shot in the arm.  

(06-14-2023, 07:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Methinks the racism came via Americans looking to blame people who fit a vague racial profile.  Again, easy for me to brush off but I'm not some Asian American who got to be tacitly labeled as "the enemy" by the oh so powerful powers that be and the media.  I'm sure it sucks for white people to be called racists at the drop of a hat, but it probably also sucks to have Asian heritage and try to go about your life while people are harassing you about releasing covid on them.

The media doesn't cause misguided hatred and division, people cause misguided hatred and division.

I may lack perspective here, as I've lived most of my life around a sizable Asian population.  I understand that's absolutely not the case for most of the country.  My friend group is predominantly White and Asian, with numerous close friends who are Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese and Chinese so it's hard for me to put myself in the position of a person who knows few, if any, people of Asian descent.  Also, when I speak of accusations of racism I'm not just referring to Caucasians being accused.  The term is bandied about freely against all manner of people.  
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:46 PM)Leon Wrote: you dont think the media feeds the racism? they call everything racist anymore. if you dare have an opinion that aint theres, your a racist.

Of course they do.  Anything that drives clicks to their site will get fed.  Our current society rewards and encourages being a victim, so anything that reinforces that will draw attention.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: One thing is for sure, the past three years have given conspiracy theorists a huge shot in the arm.  

[Image: 200.gif?cid=6c09b9521d23a3fa989ba0d3ad23...0.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:46 PM)Leon Wrote: you dont think the media feeds the racism? they call everything racist anymore. if you dare have an opinion that aint theres, your a racist.

I've been called lots of stuff by people I've disagreed with.  Amazingly, I survived it all.

(06-14-2023, 07:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I may lack perspective here, as I've lived most of my life around a sizable Asian population.  I understand that's absolutely not the case for most of the country.  My friend group is predominantly White and Asian, with numerous close friends who are Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese and Chinese so it's hard for me to put myself in the position of a person who knows few, if any, people of Asian descent.  Also, when I speak of accusations of racism I'm not just referring to Caucasians being accused.  The term is bandied about freely against all manner of people.  

Well, I'm from a place where an Iranian man (and former wrestler...he was practically the Iron Shiek!) who moved to this country to be a teacher had his pet goat shot and killed during the Iran hostage situation.  On a more humorous note, more than 0 times my buddies and I were sitting in "the Chinese place" downtown when someone would come in and yell "Pearl Harbor!" or go into some form of "I chink I know woo but I may be wong" or the classic "ching chong I think I broke my ding dong."

I was friends with one of the few black guys in town and when he came to our high school in 9th grade everyone asked him if he was in a gang and if he played basketball.  He just wanted to play soccer and go fishing, mostly.  A lot of racism is more laziness than malice, I think.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Of course they do.  Anything that drives clicks to their site will get fed.  Our current society rewards and encourages being a victim, so anything that reinforces that will draw attention.

yessir. its just common sense
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I've been called lots of stuff by people I've disagreed with.  Amazingly, I survived it all.

you tried to say it wasnt happening. steelerfan just pointed out better than me why it is
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:52 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: [Image: 200.gif?cid=6c09b9521d23a3fa989ba0d3ad23...0.gif&ct=g]

I'm assuming you disagree, unless I am misinterpreting your response.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:56 PM)Leon Wrote: you tried to say it wasnt happening. steelerfan just pointed out better than me why it is

People are racist, the media just helps...the same way guns help bad people do bad things.  The media can't make you racist if you don't want it to any more than you can sit down and watch pro-trans or gay media until you turn into an LGBTQ+ advocate.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm assuming you disagree, unless I am misinterpreting your response.

I dont disagree. More of an “ohhh I see what you did there.”
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People are racist, the media just helps...the same way guns help bad people do bad things.  The media can't make you racist if you don't want it to any more than you can sit down and watch pro-trans or gay media until you turn into an LGBTQ+ advocate.

why do people have to bring gay and trans stuff into everything like you just did? think the media has any part in that?
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 07:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People are racist, the media just helps...the same way guns help bad people do bad things.  The media can't make you racist if you don't want it to any more than you can sit down and watch pro-trans or gay media until you turn into an LGBTQ+ advocate.

They can't make you racist, but they can sure slap that label on you.

(06-14-2023, 08:00 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I dont disagree. More of an “ohhh I see what you did there.”

Copy that.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:02 PM)Leon Wrote: why do people have to bring gay and trans stuff into everything like you just did? think the media has any part in that?

Well, I've known about gay stuff since I was a kid and saw Elton John on the Muppet Show.  And the right-wing media has done wonders to thrust that Dylan Mulvaney person into my daily life, that's for damn sure.

(06-14-2023, 08:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: They can't make you racist, but they can sure slap that label on you.

And when I was kid I was called a f** because I like cats and liked Elton John.  I was raised on a steady diet of "Piss on what people think...what do they know?"
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, I've known about gay stuff since I was a kid and saw Elton John on the Muppet Show.  And the right-wing media has done wonders to thrust that Dylan Mulvaney person into my daily life, that's for damn sure.

and the right would not have knowed about that person if bud light hadnt made it a topic
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:07 PM)Leon Wrote: and the right would not have knowed about that person if bud light hadnt made it a topic

Ah, Bud Light made us get all butthurt over it, I see.  Let's blame beer for yet another problem.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ah, Bud Light made us get all butthurt over it, I see.  Let's blame beer for yet another problem.

you seem like you try really hard for some reason to not put the blame for things were it actaully goes
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And when I was kid I was called a f** because I like cats and liked Elton John.  I was raised on a steady diet of "Piss on what people think...what do they know?"

In general I don't disagree with you.  But you weren't being called that on national television in an era in which everyone has a television in their pocket.  The scarlet letter is a real thing again, there's just a lot more letters now.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In general I don't disagree with you.  But you weren't being called that on national television in an era in which everyone has a television in their pocket.  The scarlet letter is a real thing again, there's just a lot more letters now.

thank you for making the point better than i could. this is a real thing and ignoring it is a big problem
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In general I don't disagree with you.  But you weren't being called that on national television in an era in which everyone has a television in their pocket.  The scarlet letter is a real thing again, there's just a lot more letters now.

No, I'm a straight white able bodied male...no one is after me.  Or everyone is after me, if you listen to some aspects of the media.  Anyways, during the whole covid thing I'm glad I wasn't someone who was recognizably Asian, regardless of how much the media was admitting or covering up about the whole CHIIINAAAAAHHHH aspect.

(06-14-2023, 08:12 PM)Leon Wrote: you seem like you try really hard for some reason to not put the blame for things were it actaully goes

I just don't see the reason to let a promotion for a product I don't even use have such an impact upon my life and mental well-being.  You can blame whatever you like, it's a free country.  Personally, I blame the fall of conservatism on Elvis and his swiveling hips.  
Reply/Quote
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/02/16/tom-cotton-coronavirus-conspiracy/

The theory was debunked in Feb 2020 apparently.
Reply/Quote