Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Covid punishments....
(07-22-2021, 05:09 PM)Mer Wrote: What ever happened to freedom of choice?

This is a perfect example of freedom of choice....and the consequences of making the wrong choice.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 08:04 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: If you are already vaccinated why are you worried a bout the people who are not vaccinated?

It should not affect you. Your vaccinated!

+Because the dumbass who isnt vaccinated can get infected and allow the virus to mutate into additional variants that can be more contagious, more deadly, and even able to infect vaccinated people. So now your poor choice cause more pain, suffering and death....not to mention economic harm. Thats why we worry about those who dont get vaccinated. Be a decent human being and be considerate of others beside yourself.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 08:20 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Get real.  They are being forced.

Good. Sometimes stupidity needs to be overcome by force.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 10:35 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: There will likely never be herd immunity. We don't have herd immunity for colds and flus 

Not sure I expect one for this 

Thats because cold and flu have been around humans for literally thousands of years and have mutated into innumerable variants. We have a chance with this virus, which is new to humans, to stop it in its tracks BEFORE it can mutate into thousands of variants. But people want to scream about my body my choice....unless youre a woman considering abortion, then that no longer applies. People need to STFU and get the vaccination.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 05:08 PM)Beaker Wrote: Thats because cold and flu have been around humans for literally thousands of years and have mutated into innumerable variants. We have a chance with this virus, which is new to humans, to stop it in its tracks BEFORE it can mutate into thousands of variants. But people want to scream about my body my choice....unless youre a woman considering abortion, then that no longer applies. People need to STFU and get the vaccination.

Coronaviruses are not new. Will never be gone either. Literally hundreds of variations in coronaviruses
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 04:59 PM)Beaker Wrote:  Be a decent human being and be considerate of others beside yourself.

That reminds me of my trip to Kroger today.  Sign says vaccinated don't need a mask, and of course 95 percent of the people are walking around the store without a mask.  If only 50 percent of the public is actually vaccinated, I suspect many unvaccinated are just ignoring the sign. Any freedom lovers here want to admit to doing this?  Or do you have the freedom to not tell, also.  Ha.  I'm vaccinated and eventually I might be told to put a mask on again because people not wearing a mask or being vaccinated are spreading it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 07:33 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Coronaviruses are not new. Will never be gone either. Literally hundreds of variations in coronaviruses

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/diseases-conditions/coronaviruses

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

According to those two articles, how many affect humans?
Reply/Quote
I would rather see rescheduling headaches than see some teams make the playoffs because several teams took fake "Ls". This could lead to a pretty dumb and meaningless season with a fake champion.

It will also lead to COVID being the central talking point for the NFL season, and all we hear about on sports radio. Yay. Bravo, NFL. They've been handling everything amazingly lately.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 09:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.niaid.nih.gov/diseases-conditions/coronaviruses

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

According to those two articles, how many affect humans?

So you think they'll be eradicated by the vaccine? Because they won't 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 04:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: This is a perfect example of freedom of choice....and the consequences of making the wrong choice.

This statement is awful and you should know that.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 09:05 AM)bengaloo Wrote: You could be right, although I think social distancing and washing your hands, not touching face, etc, are far more effective than vaccines and masks both and have been the entire time.  

The thing is though, we are still dealing with a virus that has a higher survival rate than the vaccine effectiveness rate, and no one knows what long term side effects these vaccines could have, which could end up pretty bad in all honesty. And as of now, in the UK, the delta strain makes up almost all of the new covid cases, although hospitalization rates are down to almost nothing. Its too early to know for sure, but it looks like delta is just a typical flu mutation, evolving to ensure its own survival. Its going to mutate because it wants to live and to do that it cant kill off its host. It seems like right now that the new variant is more transmittable, but less severe, which makes sense following the basic principals of evolution. The vaccines look like nothing more than another flu shot that people will be pushed to take yearly at least. 

But we are still dealing with a virus that has a higher survival rate than the vaccine effectiveness rate, and until that changes, there will be a lot of people who dont want the jab, and its their right to feel that way. They could lose their jobs, etc, but its a sad fact that it has gone this far. If people are scared of the virus, get the shot, if you're not, dont get the shot. Seems simple. If you are sick, call off work and stay home until you're not, just like we've been doing for most of human history. 

These kind of rules and punishments will backfire in the long run, imo. 

Sydney is currently experiencing a Delta outbreak and is in the middle of a lockdown, we are getting deaths from this variant including young people which we haven't had here before. We are getting hospitalisations with a higher percentage of younger people as well. Not one person who is fully vaccinated has been hospitalised in this outbreak.
This variant has been much more contagious, in previous outbreaks roughly 30% of household contacts would contract the virus, this outbreak is very close to 100% of household contact contracting the virus.

We are having this outbreak and lockdown due to our poor vaccine rollout.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 10:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Guessing she does not trust what's going on there and wants to hear what American Drs say and she trust me enough to have me inquire for them.  When covid started there was a early curfew and they were beat with rubber hoses if caught on the street and told they were too poor to be treated if contracted. Its a little different than herald sadly they probably can not afford to go to a Dr just to ask this question. 

Told her that the vaccine I received caused me or my family no harm in short term but that she must follow her own heart and ultimately make the decision for her and her family per knowing Drs with opposite opinions on this subject. 

Will say that they seem much more at peace and happier in their simple lives and am very envious. The church her and her husband runs looks incredibly fun and full of love, although spirituality is not how we know each other.   

Good point mate, I'm in Australia and it is even easier here than in the US to see a doctor so I probably should take that into account.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 12:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: We're almost always going to tell patients to wash their hands to prevent spread of disease because it is part of basic hygiene, but surface transmission of Covid is approximately 0.01%. So washing your hands isn't even close to being more effective than the vaccines or wearing masks to reduce respiratory droplets. Social distancing is important so you avoid respiratory droplets from others (especially those not wearing a mask to keep their respiratory droplets to themselves), but more effective than the vaccine? Doubtful. People at the grocery store won't stay 6 feet away from me.

Covid was the 3rd leading cause of death in the US during 2020. With the vaccine, they are mostly preventable deaths.

It is true no one knows the potential long term adverse effects, because this specific vaccine has been available for less than a year.  However, the vaccine technology used to make this specific vaccine has been around for decades and is safe and effective without long term adverse effects.  So while we can't say the risk is 0%, experts and professional medical organizations still recommend the vaccine because the benefits outweigh the risk which are considered very low (low enough for them to recommend the vaccine unless you have a contraindication.)

With that said, give me a list of vaccines with long term side effects.

To claim the delta variant is less severe is premature.  If you have information indicating otherwise which I'm unaware of I would love to read it to educate myself.

Covid is most contagious before most people show symptoms therefore variants can still be more deadly so all your supposition about evolution is wrong.

Viruses need a host in order to mutate.  If they don't have a host, they can't mutate.  Vaccinations reduce the number of potential hosts which reduces the chance of mutations which could render the virus more deadly.  If people would get vaccinated we could worry less about new strains.

We give Tdap vaccinations to adults, not because they are at risk of dying from whooping cough, but to protect infants whom we can't vaccinate with Tdap who could die from whooping cough.

I didn't get the vaccine for myself.  I got the vaccine for other people.  I see Covid patients almost every day.  I have a duty to protect my patient by not getting Covid and giving it to others who may be at high risk for severe Covid. I want to protect my family so I don't bring Covid home from work and give it to them.  I want to protect my friends, neighbors, and strangers who I come in contact with every day.  I want to "get back to normal" to protect people's jobs and businesses. So if you don't want the vaccine for yourself or others, do it for the American economy.

It's not about being scared of the virus.  It's about taking the proper precautions to protect others when they can't (or won't) protect themselves such as others who are immunocompromised or at high risk for severe Covid.

It's not about fear.  Although you're doing a pretty good job at fear mongering and instilling doubt in others about the Covid vaccines (against medical advice, btw) which I'm trying to quell. It's about taking care of others.  It's about being your brother's keeper.

My lay understanding of vaccines is the active agent is only in the body for a short period of time as all it is doing is triggering an immune response and the immune system does all the heavy lifting of the vaccine. Due to this vaccines are unlikely to have to have long term effects  compared to other types of medication the doses are repeated as it is the medication itself that is having any effect on the disease.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 12:37 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yet, the medical community still recommends getting a Covid vaccination after recovering from Covid.

Can you forward the article about the antibodies to me?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01442-9
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 10:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I would rather see rescheduling headaches than see some teams make the playoffs because several teams took fake "Ls". This could lead to a pretty dumb and meaningless season with a fake champion.

It will also lead to COVID being the central talking point for the NFL season, and all we hear about on sports radio. Yay. Bravo, NFL. They've been handling everything amazingly lately.

Maybe.  Last season was covid crazy with little to no fans and no preseason and all sorts of wacky variables and it still ended up being Tom Brady vs another elite QB team in the super bowl.  

I just don't see things being all that insane this year, even if some fake W's are handed out.  I'll believe it when I see it. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 08:31 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Sydney is currently experiencing a Delta outbreak and is in the middle of a lockdown, we are getting deaths from this variant including young people which we haven't had here before. We are getting hospitalisations with a higher percentage of younger people as well. Not one person who is fully vaccinated has been hospitalised in this outbreak.
This variant has been much more contagious, in previous outbreaks roughly 30% of household contacts would contract the virus, this outbreak is very close to 100% of household contact contracting the virus.

We are having this outbreak and lockdown due to our poor vaccine rollout.

The higher percentage of young people hospitalized is a skewed number. It's probably the same number it has always been, but more and more older people took the vaccine and are not hospitalized, so the percentages are higher. The Bucs are 16-0 headed for the 20-0 Brady says he wants to go this season, and your unvaccinated self brings covid into the locker room and cause a forfeit? Would you want to be that guy? I'm just glad the Bengals are one of the teams with over 85% of players vaccinated.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 10:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I would rather see rescheduling headaches than see some teams make the playoffs because several teams took fake "Ls". This could lead to a pretty dumb and meaningless season with a fake champion.

I still remember that awful roughing the passer penalty against Justin Smith hitting Bruce Gradkowski costing the Bengals the game.  The catch rule probably cost more teams more games than this rule will.  The difference is the players are in control of this.  If they don't want this rule to affect to the schedule or their record then comply with the rule or be penalized just like any other rule of the game.
Reply/Quote
Plus, it's not like they get penalized just for not getting vaccinated. They have to test positive and have enough other players test positive that they cannot field a team.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 12:05 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: So you think they'll be eradicated by the vaccine? Because they won't 

No, Ern, I don't think a vaccine for humans will eradicate viruses in animals that don't even affect humans.  In general, if viruses in animals don't cause disease in humans we just leave those alone.

But, what I do think the Covid 19 vaccine will do for humans is reduce the number of cases, hospitalizations, complications, and deaths in humans from Covid 19.  Much in the same way the rabies vaccine reduces deaths in humans, but doesn't eradicate the rabies virus in animals that don't get the rabies vaccine designed for humans.

Please pass this along to whomever provided you with that misinformation which serves as the basis for a false equivalency between colds and Covid 19.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 08:46 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: My lay understanding of vaccines is the active agent is only in the body for a short period of time as all it is doing is triggering an immune response and the immune system does all the heavy lifting of the vaccine. Due to this vaccines are unlikely to have to have long term effects  compared to other types of medication the doses are repeated as it is the medication itself that is having any effect on the disease.

Correct.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/vaccines/COVID-19-mRNA-infographic_G_508.pdf
Reply/Quote