Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington High School Issue
(01-23-2019, 09:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: I agree.  If it was a black kid standing there we'd have his entire family's criminal record read nightly on FOX news.   Ninja

Probably.

Personal story here....a relative of mine, an 18 year old with bitterly divorced parents, a drug problem, poor guidance from his parents, and a learned total lack of respect for authority, committed suicide last year. But not before ambushing a cop in uniform who was walking to his car after stopping at the store on his way home. Luckily the cop lived. This all took place last fall at the absolute height of the Colin Kapernick/Baltimore/Ferguson frenzy. 

It was big news in the city where it took place, but nationally....crickets. There's no doubt in my mind that if he had been a black kid, Fox News would have been crawling all over the area and I would have had to navigate through them to get to the funeral. 
(01-23-2019, 09:08 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Probably.

Personal story here....a relative of mine, an 18 year old with bitterly divorced parents, a drug problem, poor guidance from his parents, and a learned total lack of respect for authority, committed suicide last year. But not before ambushing a cop in uniform who was walking to his car after stopping at the store on his way home. Luckily the cop lived. This all took place last fall at the absolute height of the Colin Kapernick/Baltimore/Ferguson frenzy. 

It was big news in the city where it took place, but nationally....crickets. There's no doubt in my mind that if he had been a black kid, Fox News would have been crawling all over the area and I would have had to navigate through them to get to the funeral. 

Man...sorry.  That's a tough one.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-23-2019, 08:52 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I agree about the adults though. They failed at their duties. That should have been nipped early on by moving the kids out of earshot of the problem. 

But what about the fact of that is where they were supposed to assemble to get on their bus?

I don't think the adults failed:

Did it turn violent?

Did the kids do anything "wrong"?

Did everyone leave the area safely?

It's easy for us to sit behind their keyboards and say "This is what I'd do..."  

IMO the kids and the adults with them did nothing wrong; while many around them and to even a bigger scale the adults that "reported" on it did plenty wrong. He if I'd have been there I may have been motivated to reply in kind to the Israelites and the Chief. These adults and children showed huge restraint. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-23-2019, 09:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But what about the fact of that is where they were supposed to assemble to get on their bus?

Did it turn violent?

IMO the kids and the adults with them did nothing wrong; while many around them and to even a bigger scale the adults that "reported" on it did plenty wrong. He if I'd have been there I may have been motivated to reply in kind to the Israelites and the Chief. These adults and children showed huge restraint. 
Im not just sitting behind a keyboard, I've actually chaperoned large groups of teenagers dozens of times. Im very familiar with what you have to do and what your responsibilities are. I would never let my kids engage the Black Israelites. Move them far away if necessary and have one adult wait for the bus. 
(01-23-2019, 09:19 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Im not just sitting behind a keyboard, I've actually chaperoned large groups of teenagers dozens of times. Im very familiar with what you have to do and what your responsibilities are. I would never let my kids engage the Black Israelites. Move them far away if necessary and have one adult wait for the bus. 

They sang their school song while waiting for their bus (aka engaged). 

Nothing got physical and no one got injured. A kid smile at an elder while he banged a drum in his face. 

(01-23-2019, 09:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But what about the fact of that is where they were supposed to assemble to get on their bus?

Did it turn violent?

Glad you aren't in charge of groups of children then.

Just because there were no fights and everyone made it home does not mean they "did nothing wrong" when you have 20 minutes of interaction between the Hebrew group and the students...with the students engaging them in insults.
(01-23-2019, 09:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They sang their school song while waiting for their bus (aka engaged). 

Nothing got physical and no one got injured. A kid smile at an elder while he banged a drum in his face. 

They were yelling at the Hebrews.  Any responsible adult would have stopped them just in case it escalated.

That it didn't is wonderful.

That's not what chaperones are supposed to do.
(01-23-2019, 09:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Glad you aren't in charge of groups of children then.

Just because there were no fights and everyone made it home does not mean they "did nothing wrong" when you have 20 minutes of interaction between the Hebrew group and the students...with the students engaging them in insults.

Share with me the insults the kids yelled to the Hebrews. 

For my peps,Does this sound at all racist:

If those white adults would have just been smart enough to separate those white kids from them black folks this could have all been avoided.

(01-23-2019, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For my peps,Does this sound at all racist:

If those white adults would have just been smart enough to separate those white kids from them black folks this could have all been avoided.

Hey, you should get a job at fox news.

Here's another take: Adults in charge of children should be smart enough to keep them away from religious extremists.
(01-23-2019, 09:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Share with me the insults the kids yelled to the Hebrews. 

Feel free to watch.

(01-23-2019, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For my peps,Does this sound at all racist:

Yes...it would have.  That you want to make protecting the children from the group racist saysa an awful lot.

Not that hard to understand unless someone wants to be deliberately bullheaded.
(01-23-2019, 09:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Feel free to watch.

Yes...it would have.  That you want to make protecting the children from the group racist saysa an awful lot.

Not that hard to understand unless someone wants to be deliberately bullheaded.
Yeah, I watch at 7 minutes of the video and didn't see any kid shouting insults at the Hebrews, Perhaps you could direct me to a time on the video. 

Protect them from what?

(01-23-2019, 09:46 PM)treee Wrote: Hey, you should get a job at fox news.

Here's another take: Adults in charge of children should be smart enough to keep them away from religious extremists.

Why? It could be educational. As long as it doesn't turn physical. I'm sure it's an experience they would soon forget. Instead of the experience of "Remember when those crazy Black folks were yelling and Mr McGillicutty saved us from them by having us hide."

(01-23-2019, 09:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why? It could be educational. As long as it doesn't turn physical. I'm sure it's an experience they would soon forget. Instead of the experience of "Remember when those crazy Black folks were yelling and Mr McGillicutty saved us from them by having us hide."

And what exactly do you think the students learned by standing there and chanting at them rather than going somewhere else?
(01-23-2019, 09:57 PM)treee Wrote: And what exactly do you think the students learned by standing there and chanting at them rather than going somewhere else?

That they cannot be shouted into silence. However, they can respond to hate with love.

No matter what threat you and others will fabricate that the children faced and that the adults failed to remove them from changes the fact that these kids and those watching them did anything wrong. The onus lies outside of them.

But I will say I'm gladdened that the narrative has changed from the children being the aggressors to the children being the victims. We're starting to get it.  

(01-23-2019, 09:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, I watch at 7 minutes of the video and didn't see any kid shouting insults at the Hebrews, Perhaps you could direct me to a time on the video. 

Protect them from what?

Pretty short attention span.

From the people yelling at them, insulting them.

I know you're (probably) not dumb so I have to assume you're just either doing this deliberately or have some nefarious reason behind your responses.  Since I don't know what is in your heart I won't guess...I'll just stop responding.
(01-23-2019, 10:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: Pretty short attention span.

From the people yelling at them, insulting them.

I know you're (probably) not dumb so I have to assume you're just either doing this deliberately or have some nefarious reason behind your responses.  Since I don't know what is in your heart I won't guess...I'll just stop responding.

Or you could just share with me a time clip where they insult the Hebrews. You were quick to assert it happened. You obviously must be able to share with me one

(01-23-2019, 10:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That they cannot be shouted into silence. However, they can respond to hate with love.

That's an interesting take. I wouldn't call booing at people 'responding with love', but to each their own I guess. 

Quote:No matter what threat you and others will fabricate that the children faced and that the adults failed to remove them from changes the fact that these kids and those watching them did anything wrong. 

I never fabricated that they were in danger.

Quote:The onus lies outside of them.

And what is the onus in this circumstance?

Quote:But I will say I'm gladdened that the narrative has changed from the children being the aggressors to the children being the victims. We're starting to get it.  

They were just being juvenile, there's no argument there. 'Victim' is laying it on a bit thick though.
(01-23-2019, 10:12 PM)treee Wrote: 1. That's an interesting take. I wouldn't call booing at people 'responding with love', but to each their own I guess. 

2. I never fabricated that they were in danger.

3. And what is the onus in this circumstance?

4. They were just being juvenile, there's no argument there. 'Victim' is laying it on a bit thick though.
1. Perhaps that's why those adults that failed instructed them to reply with their school spirit song

2. I said threat, not danger.

3. The educate the children and get them home safely

4. Of course folks are saying they're victims. Why else would it be asserted that a responsible adult would have removed them from the threat? They were victims of (take your pick):

A. Incompetent Chaperones
B. The Black Hebrews
C. The Indian Drummer
D. All of the above
E. None of the above

(01-23-2019, 10:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1. Perhaps that's why those adults that failed instructed them to reply with their school spirit song

2. I said threat, not danger.

3. The educate the children and get them home safely

4. Of course folks are saying they're victims. Why else would it be asserted that a responsible adult would have removed them from the threat? They were victims of (take your pick):

A. Incompetent Chaperones
B. The Black Hebrews
C. The Indian Drummer
D. All of the above
E. None of the above

1. Maybe. 

2. Okay, well I never said there was a threat either.

3. I agree that it was not the responsibility of the children to teach themselves and get themselves home safely.

4. I don't think they were victims to anything you listed. If they're victims to anything, it's bad journalism.