Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowboys Just hired Alexabder as their line coach
(01-16-2018, 07:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: His point wasn't about whether a team cared about winning. His point was about evaluating free agent talent and how the contract isn't always indicative of talent level. But, you already know that so stop pretending.

Actually I would argue that talent level is the #1 priority in contract value.  Every time I see a list of top free aghents they are usually listed by talent level.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 10:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I would argue that talent level is the #1 priority in contract value.  Every time I see a list of top free aghents they are usually listed by talent level.

Of course you would argue that.

(01-16-2018, 03:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Teams re-sign their best players so the free agents are usually not the best players in the league.  However a player does not have to be the best at his position in the league to get paid like that.  All he has to be is the best free agent available at his position and he will get paid like the best.  So free agents are almost always over priced, and they often are complete flops when they have to play in a different scheme for a different team.

But even though free agents are over priced it is almost impossible to fill every spot on a team with draft picks alone.

While simultaneously arguing free agents are over-priced flops in another thread.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 10:44 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Of course you would argue that.

While simultaneously arguing free agents are over-priced flops in another thread.

Sorry, I am not trying to be difficult, but I don't see your point here.  I think we are going in differet directions.  Here is the poinjt I was trying to make.

Bengal fans claim that playing Peko was proof that the Bengals diod not care about winning.  A team that clearly cares about winning signed Peko to be a starter and paid him more than the Bengals did.  This proves that the "group think" around here can be wrong.

I don't know what that has to do with me claiming that it is better to build through the draft because free agents are generally over priced.  There were tons of free agent DTs other than Peko available to the Broncos.  If he was as bad as some people were claiming the Broncos certainly would have signed someone else instead.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: *sigh*

Here is the last time I am going to explain my position.  I don't know how I can make it any more simple.

People here claimed that it was so obvious that Peko was garbage that the only team who would pay him would be one that "did not care about winning".  That is totally different from trying to win and making a mistake.

Understand now?  The people who claimed it was so obvious that Peko was trash did not have a clue what they were talking about because a team that was trying very hard to win paid him MORE than the Bengals were paying him.

I fully understand your position, and am countering it.

Peko was not all that hot in this system.  He is better suited as a 3-4 NT it seems, and was playing too many reps here.  He was just not very good in the role he was asked to fill in Cincy.....don't see how it can be much more clear.  Also, as with Zeitler, I think they overpaid him.  The Bengals most likely would have re-signed him had he taken a hometown discount.

(01-16-2018, 03:25 PM)depthchart Wrote: Paul Alexander has landed in a dream position and may end up getting high praise next season.

When healthy, the Dallas O-line is stacked with talent and Paul may not have nearly as much influence in Dallas to hand pick the players.

Ezekiel Elliott is a Grade A pass blocker and runner.

Paul may end up looking smarter than Frank Pollack by this time next year (whether he deserves to or not) based on the situations they each landed in.

Fred may have the edge here going forward (with stats that favor Paul) based solely on the differing team situations and talent levels of each team's O-line.

Frank Pollack has some work to do in Cincy, while Paul inherits some elite lineman in Dallas plus the blocking ability of Zeke.

Pollack has a bigger mountain to climb going forward while Paul is basically teed up to succeed in Dallas.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out and what slants people take on the Board this time next year when comparing the two & based on how each team performs.

Agreed.  As I said earlier, I think we'll see how it pans out in a couple or three years if some of that talent leaves via FA or trade/injury.  Also, he could even tank them sooner if he continues to be set in his ways.  I feel that was ultimately his undoing here.  he got WAY too big for his britches.

(01-16-2018, 06:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the product of his paying job was good, folks likely wouldn't feel the need to draw attention to his side hobby, in fact he'd likely be admired for it.

Yep.  In fact, I admire anyone that can play any instrument, being a music buff.  I always have.  Piano Man is obviously a reference to the famous Billy Joel tune, and (in my mind) alludes to the fact he is a better pianist than coach, along with the dig at Mike Brown I mentioned earlier.  For the last decade or so, I just wished he would have made his hobby his day job. Mellow

(01-16-2018, 07:52 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Has nothing to do with playing the piano. People "hated" him because he was a crappy coach.  Maybe, people calling him the Piano Man don't see it as insult, more of a nickname. Don't be so thin skinned, not sure why you are so hung up on this...

Right on.  It's the Piano Man Cavalry charge!

(01-16-2018, 07:52 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This. Same with Ghiaciuc, Andrews, Bodine, etc.

Roland, etc.  Exactly my point.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: i-dont-always-lead-a-cavalry-charge-but-...no-man.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Zeke walks in dark Dallas Cowboys facility very early to work on his game.

Dez Bryant appears and this is how the rest of the convo went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlqnjeXREO4
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 11:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: Peko was not all that hot in this system.  He is better suited as a 3-4 NT it seems, and was playing too many reps here.  He was just not very good in the role he was asked to fill in Cincy.....don't see how it can be much more clear.

Peko was excellent in this system.  From '08 to '15 he helped anchor a Bengal defense that was 5th in yards allowed, 5th in tds allowed and 7th in rushing yards allowed, and over that period Peko was NUMBER ONE in the league in tackles by an interior lineman.

Peko...........388
Ngata.........379
K. Williams..377

He was wearing down some in '16, but the people that hated on him were hating on him for years before that.  People even hated on him after Mike Zimmer said he was the best NT he had coached.  Even in Domata's decling years the Broncos were willing to pay him very well to start for them.

That's how it can be "much more clear".
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Peko was excellent in this system.  From '08 to '15 he helped anchor a Bengal defense that was 5th in yards allowed, 5th in tds allowed and 7th in rushing yards allowed, and over that period Peko was NUMBER ONE in the league in tackles by an interior lineman.

Peko...........388
Ngata.........379
K. Williams..377

He was wearing down some in '16, but the people that hated on him were hating on him for years before that.  People even hated on him after Mike Zimmer said he was the best NT he had coached.  Even in Domata's decling years the Broncos were willing to pay him very well to start for them.

That's how it can be "much more clear".

Which was what I said.  In '15, he was rotated much more, and had a pretty good year, IMO.  In '16, he just wasn't very good.  It was time to move on.  As for those stats, can you show us how many snaps he played vs those other cats, and how many were beyond 3 yds past the LOS?  It seemed he was getting shoved off the ball a lot in his later years. People that were really hating on him, were a bit over the top, but those watching with an objective eye, and not just looking at raw stats could see that he was a rotational player at best in his last few seasons here.

Reply/Quote
This is the first i heard of this, what a trade lmao!

Even though that O-line might be able to carry PA somewhat i still bet they go down hill big time now.

Hilarious. Hilarious
Reply/Quote