Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Cowherd on Bengals/Burrow.
I get why Colin would be concerned hell I share some of those same fears. With that being said I thought his examples were stupid.

1.) The Bengals are Cheap! Sure but so are the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, and Patriots. Being cheap doesn't prevent you from winning a championships being stupid does.

2.) The Bengals never trade up in the draft? So! Again how many times have you seen the elite teams trade up(outside of QBs) in the first RD over the years. Pittsburgh for Devin bush in 2019 but outside of that it is very rare. It's just something Elite teams do not do.

3.) The Bengals have a GM in Duke Tolbin this has been well documented over the last 10 seasons.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 07:54 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: He also said earlier this year that Chad Johnson was a bad route-runner.

Dude just makes his opinions up.

Chad was 10x the talent that Keyshawn was.  He was one of the most overrated players I've ever seen coming out of USC.  He was never anything more than a pumped-up possession receiver with a big mouth.  
Reply/Quote
They traded up to get Finley. It may not have been a good trade up but that’s a different discussion.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 05:09 PM)pally Wrote: It is an age-old question whether a QB makes the coach or the coach makes the QB. All I know is that Walsh had a losing record until he got Montana and then Young and that Belichick has a career losing record without Brady. Jared Goff had his best year when Zac was his QB coach. If Burrow makes Zac a better coach then he is in a long line of others that has happened to.

As for the rest...been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Cowherd will always stick to his lazy talking points rather than actually doing any sort of investigation to see what is currently happening

You make a good point here.And this is going to be very important to this teams potential success going forward.It appears Zac will listen to Burrow.
Zac needs Burrow more than Burrow needs Zac.Burrow’s football IQ is off the charts.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 07:54 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: He also said earlier this year that Chad Johnson was a bad route-runner.

Dude just makes his opinions up.

Housh SLAUGHTERED him for that. So epic.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 05:09 PM)pally Wrote: It is an age-old question whether a QB makes the coach or the coach makes the QB.  All I know is that Walsh had a losing record until he got Montana and then Young and that Belichick has a career losing record without Brady.  Jared Goff had his best year when Zac was his QB coach.  If Burrow makes Zac a better coach then he is in a long line of others that has happened to.

As for the rest...been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  Cowherd will always stick to his lazy talking points rather than actually doing any sort of investigation to see what is currently happening

This post literally took the words out of my mouth. QB and players to a large extent can make the coach. 

But one thing I have to add to address some of Cowherd's other comments about Mike Brown and the Bengals org. He's right, especially when talking about the past, but honestly the last 2 years we have seen very big changes with the way this team is run and its noticeable. They took and overaged and depleted roster and have already rebuilt it better than any turnaround we have seen as Bengals fans in a long time maybe ever. The FA spending, the last couple drafts, and even the new stuff at PBS. Ring of Honor, more fan interaction, etc. This organization actually is changing for the better. Will it be enough to please the media weirdos? Who knows, but we all know as die-hard long time Bengal fans, that the whole org has been trending up in the way it's ran the last 2 years. 

Burrow I do believe will get us where we want to go. I dont know if it will be with ZT, but Burrow is the man and we have a very solid young core around him. We are clearly on the up. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 10:34 PM)samhain Wrote: Chad was 10x the talent that Keyshawn was.  He was one of the most overrated players I've ever seen coming out of USC.  He was never anything more than a pumped-up possession receiver with a big mouth.  

Cowherd was the one that said Chad wasn’t a good route runner.

And TJ (rightly) corrected him on the spot.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 04:32 PM)kdgjr Wrote: Cowherd on Bengals/Burrow.

Discuss amongst yourselves...kernels of truth but a lot of bias and lack of paying attention.

https://twitter.com/FauxJeaux/status/1443997692510810118

It's a well earned narrative but one that's lazy too. Most of these talking heads don't bother to look at the last couple drafts and FA periods and think that it could be different. They just go off how they've seen spurts before, or periods of good play followed by the inevitable crash and burn. The whole "cheap" and "no GM" thing is played out and, as i said, lazy. 

Keyshawn Johnson is the one that pissed me off with his blatant disregard for anything positive. At least the other guys throw in a crumb or two. 

The M.O. has changed in the last couple years and it's going to take some sustained good play as well as a playoff win to start to chip away at that narrative. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 05:22 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: He isn't just giving some controversial but fair opinion.

He is making factually incorrect claims.

"The Bengals don't make trades on draft day". --> They quite literally just did that in the 2021 draft.

"They don't have a GM." --> This is essentially wordplay. Duke Tobin is as much a GM as anyone with the title "GM" would be.

"Mike Brown is a notorious meddler." --> This one cannot be disputed on an objective level, but it's also speculative garbage that is being pulled from a single scene of the 2010 Hard Knocks show of which nothing came and a 30-years dated '90s reputation. There is no evidence that this is true in the year 2021.

"The Bengals are cheap." --> This is even worse outdated horse shit from someone that doesn't have a single clue about how the Bengals franchise behaves and instead relies upon an extremely dated reputation born of towels, Gatorade, and a Chevy Lumina from the pre-Palmer era. They've been huge spenders in free agency two years in a row.

Stop taking these people seriously. All of you, every single one of you who spends your time contributing to a Cincinnati Bengals message board, knows this team and this organization better than Colin Cowherd or any of these other worthless national media personalities ever could. Use your own eyeballs and your own judgment and stop allowing these idiots to have any influence whatsoever over the spirits of this fanbase.
Well said Jx3!  

Although I'm not a Mike Brown fan the organization currently seems to running a lot differently.  The "cheap" narrative is getting old.  Tell that to Trey Hendrickson, Mike Hilton, Tray Wayans, Larry Ogunjobi, Vonn Bell and Riley Reiff.  Also, they will find a way to extend Bates without destroying the teams ability to continue to improve.

The Bengals have always been good at managing the cap, they just haven't made the right choices on the roster.  Now, for whatever reason, maybe with Zac's help, they are finding the right fits.

Cowherd is just another talking head who talks out of his A$$.  His opinions are irrelevant and inaccurate.
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown WAS cheap. Mike Brown is merely frugal.

Colin Bullherd, Mike Florio, Stephen A. Smith, and Keyshawn Johnson are haters. Cincinnati isn’t even a blip on their cerebral radar screens. They would rather gush over Mac Jones or anyone in New York.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 04:58 PM)GodFather Wrote: I don't think you can argue at all what he is saying. I mean haven't the majority of us been saying this for YEARS and YEARS about Mike Brown. The only thing I would say is..

Cowherd you are late to the party...

But I am glad to see his love and admiration for Burrow...Joe is the best thing to come to our team and I really hope the front office has the gumption to take advantage of the player we have leading this team.

Until this franchise, with MB, proves us wrong for the track record of the past 3 decades, I'll always be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm sure some of us have coached SOME sport on SOME level, and regardless of the sport OR level, when you're winning you're put on a pedestal, when you're losing you're a butthead!

Sad to say it's just the way the world is!
Reply/Quote
The league and all the "experts" constantly hate on the Bengals. It's nothing new. Watch GMFB sometime, same thing.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:44 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Paul Brown WAS cheap.  Mike Brown is merely frugal.  

Colin Bullherd, Mike Florio, Stephen A. Smith, and Keyshawn Johnson are haters.  Cincinnati isn’t even a blip on their cerebral radar screens.  They would rather gush over Mac Jones or anyone in New York.

Paul was cheap, but there a few that had the brilliant football mind he had.

Many coaches who were around him all concur about his football knowledge.

PB was using microphones in players helmets in 1956!

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/11/paul-brown-cleveland-browns-dynasty-helmet-radio

NFL banned it because they said it was an unfair advantage because other teams didn't have them!  Hilarious

PB probably told the NFL, "It's not my fault they aren't smart enough to do it for their own teams!"
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 08:46 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Until this franchise, with MB, proves us wrong for the track record of the past 3 decades, I'll always be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm sure some of us have coached SOME sport on SOME level, and regardless of the sport OR level, when you're winning you're put on a pedestal, when you're losing you're a butthead!

Sad to say it's just the way the world is!

13 more tries to get the 3 wins it'll take to top the 5 wins you said this team would end up with...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:07 PM)jason Wrote: 13 more tries to get the 3 wins it'll take to top the 5 wins you said this team would end up with...

That would be 13 tries to get 2 more wins, not 3.

Regardless of HOW many wins they get, UNTIL they at LEAST win a playoff game, the number just changes from 30 years to 31!  Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:45 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: That would be 13 tries to get 2 more wins, not 3.

Regardless of HOW many wins they get, UNTIL they at LEAST win a playoff game, the number just changes from 30 years to 31!  Wink

I believe you said 5 tops. It doesn't matter, and I'm really just messing with you. I know it came from the same frustration that we've all had lately. Personally I choose not to dwell on the whole 30 years thing. The past is gone. This is a new incarnation of the team. There is a lot to be excited about right now, and I know you've enjoyed this start the same way I have. I don't think we're contenders or anything yet, but we're competitive, and that makes Sundays and the occasional Thursday a lot more fun than they've been for quite a while.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 11:21 PM)jason Wrote: I believe you said 5 tops. It doesn't matter, and I'm really just messing with you. I know it came from the same frustration that we've all had lately. Personally I choose not to dwell on the whole 30 years thing. The past is gone. This is a new incarnation of the team. There is a lot to be excited about right now, and I know you've enjoyed this start the same way I have. I don't think we're contenders or anything yet, but we're competitive, and that makes Sundays and the occasional Thursday a lot more fun than they've been for quite a while.

I concur with much of what you say.  It's just I've been a fan since Paul Brown was with his first team in Cleveland before he ever came to Cincinnati, and for the last 10 years I've heard the same song and dance.

The past is gone, this is the year . . we'll get 'em next year . . and so on, and yes, I root and hope they win every time, but until they prove me wrong, I expect the worse, and hope for the best!  Wink
Reply/Quote