Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cozart or Suarez?
Simple question--

Which one is the Reds SS next year?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I have spent the last couple of years defending Cozart and showing stats to prove that he is not as bad offensively as everyone claimed. Other than '14 Cozart has been a top 10 hitting shortstop over the last 4 years. Plus Cozart is elite defensively

But Suarez looks like the real deal with the bat. If he can polish his defense i would o with him.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 08:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have spent the last couple of years defending Cozart and showing stats to prove that he is not as bad offensively as everyone claimed.  Other than '14 Cozart has been a top 10 hitting shortstop over the last 4 years.  Plus Cozart is elite defensively

But Suarez looks like the real deal with the bat.  If he can polish his defense i would o with him.

Me too.  He can make all the plays.  His errors seem to come more from concentration than lack of ability.

I've heard people talk about, if Phillips is not back next year, maybe one of the two SS's moves to second.

Suarez has a really nice bat.  He has to play somewhere next year, for sure.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
With the Reds dismantling, i have to go with the youth option here. Cozart plays great defense, but Suarez might have an edge offensively. Small sample size, but Suarez has a higher average and slugging percentage.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I really like Cozart so it pains me to say it but it's time to part ways. He is 30 years old and coming off a major knee injury. At this point, I believe they have to give Suarez every opportunity to improve his defense at short rather than try to wedge him into a position where he is unfamiliar.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 09:07 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I really like Cozart so it pains me to say it but it's time to part ways. He is 30 years old and coming off a major knee injury. At this point, I believe they have to give Suarez every opportunity to improve his defense at short rather than try to wedge him into a position where he is unfamiliar.

Agree.  If Suarez keeps hitting like this, and he's showing no signs of slowing down, he has to be in the lineup.  Then the question becomes what do you do with Cozart.

Reply/Quote
Could possibly groom Suarez to play left and let Cozart remain at short.
Reply/Quote
Suarez for sure. He has exactly what this team needs: good bat, good defense. Nothing he masters, but very well rounded. Not a big fan of utility men (not saying cozart is that, either). Add to the fact he's 6 years younger and not even fully in his prime, it's almost a no-brainer.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Cozart's biggest asset had been his defense. His bat was starting to show a little more life this season, which really sucks that he got hurt while he was in a groove. The question I have is if his defense will be the same after a major leg injury. Will he have the same mobility? I think you let them go to Spring Training and fight it out for the job.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
For a team that has been starving for offense for years, Suarez.
Reply/Quote
Heard on the Reds broadcast last night that Price says he considers Cozart his opening day SS.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 04:44 PM)McC Wrote: Heard on the Reds broadcast last night that Price says he considers Cozart his opening day SS.

I'm not too concerned about Cozart being our opening day SS in 2016. I'm much more concerned about Bryan Price being our opening day manager in 2016
Reply/Quote
I think it's Cozart's to lose. If Cozart can pick up where he left off, then you find another place for Suarez. I've heard people suggest Frazier to LF as he has played that before and Suarez to 3rd.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 09:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I think it's Cozart's to lose.  If Cozart can pick up where he left off, then you find another place for Suarez.  I've heard people suggest Frazier to LF as he has played that before and Suarez to 3rd.

What about Winker?

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 06:41 PM)McC Wrote: What about Winker?

Id say he has a couple years yet. Then you move Suarez to 2nd.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote