Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craigs' List
Yesterday was the end of an era.Personal ads were banished from the CL website due to liability issues.Crimes were happening between buyers and sellers of goods advertised for sale, robberies or fraud at times when meeting strangers for intimacy.Some police departments set up safe areas for bargainers to conduct legitimate transactions, in an effort to curb crime.Many of the ads were fun to read for entertainment.Amazing how many folk were 5 foot tall,300 lbs, yet consider that HWP ( height weight proportionate ) and wanted to meet someone fit.
Lots of sugar babies, stories, interesting photos,and humor.I will miss em. Cry
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They still have the normal ads, right? I had a few craig list "ITEM" sales and they were shady as ****. Had a guy produce a 1ft knife on me and then say "don't worry, it's just to cut the rope".
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
They still have for sale ads and work opportunities.
Reply/Quote
The reason CL shut down the personals is due to a new law that could open them to lawsuits or other litigation. The new law states that a website can be held accountable if third party user(s) post advertisements that involve illegal sex trafficking/prostitution. Prior to this new law, Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act stated websites were given some degree of protection from liability due to third party user created content/posts. The new law changes that and can open them and other similar sites up to liability.

My experiences with CL have been both good and bad. I've sold a couple of cars years ago in person via CL advertisements and that went well. However, CL is also a haven for scammers and spammers. There are a lot of shady people that stalk CL looking to take advantage of people. I posted some furniture for sale not long ago and most of the replies I got were the, "Let me send you money order to hold item for me. Money order will be more than you ask but only way I can pay. Please subtract cost and wire back extra money. I will then send to pick up item when I get wire from you."

Also despite their .org extension CL is a for-profit company.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 07:13 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The reason CL shut down the personals is due to a new law that could open them to lawsuits or litigation.  The new law states that a website can be held accountable if third party user(s) post advertisements that involve illegal sex trafficking/prostitution.  Prior to this new law, Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act stated websites were given some degree of protection from liability due to third party user created content/posts. The new law changes that and can open them and other similar sites up to liability and litigation.

My experiences with CL have been both good and bad.  I've sold a couple of cars years ago in person via CL advertisements and that went well.  However, CL is also a haven for scammers and spammers.  There are a lot of shady people that stalk CL looking to take advantage of people.  I posted some furniture for sale not long ago and most of the replies I got were the,  "Let me send you money order to hold item for me.  Money order will be more than you ask but only way I can pay.  Please subtract cost and wire back extra money. I will then send to pick up item when I get wire from you."

Also despite their .org extension CL is a for-profit company.

Friggen scammers suck. Most are from overseas - but we have our fair share of douche-bags right here in the good old USA. Reminds me of an episode of 2nd date update on K99.1FM where a guy had a nice car and home but begged for money during the day and considered that his full time job because it isn't easy standing for hours. WTF? Stand behind a machine or a counter and earn it and stop playing on sympathy from others who bust their ass to put food on their own table. Not sure why I went on this tirade, I just hate thief's! 

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 07:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Friggen scammers suck. Most are from overseas - but we have our fair share of douche-bags right here in the good old USA. Reminds me of an episode of 2nd date update on K99.1FM where a guy had a nice car and home but begged for money during the day and considered that his full time job because it isn't easy standing for hours. WTF? Stand behind a machine or a counter and earn it and stop playing on sympathy from others who bust their ass to put food on their own table. Not sure why I went on this tirade, I just hate thief's! 

Amen

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 07:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Friggen scammers suck. Most are from overseas - but we have our fair share of douche-bags right here in the good old USA. Reminds me of an episode of 2nd date update on K99.1FM where a guy had a nice car and home but begged for money during the day and considered that his full time job because it isn't easy standing for hours. WTF? Stand behind a machine or a counter and earn it and stop playing on sympathy from others who bust their ass to put food on their own table. Not sure why I went on this tirade, I just hate thief's! 

I agree.  Fortunately I've been around the Internet long enough I can recognize scams easily.  My elderly parents not so much. A few years ago my Mom got an email stating there was an error in her taxes and she owed money that needed to be paid within 5 business days to avoid fines.  I just happened to call her the same day and in the course of conversation she mentioned she had to deal with a tax error.  I asked why and she told me about the email.  Thank goodness I happened to call her that day.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Yeah, this thread is starting to wander toward P&R territory. I realize that it's the weekend, and P&R is currently closed. So, for the rest of the weekend, if we could just stick to the light hearted side of Craig's List closing their personals, that would be great.

Thanks everyone for your cooperation and understanding. Wink

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, this thread is starting to wander toward P&R territory.  I realize that it's the weekend, and P&R is currently closed.  So, for the rest of the weekend, if we could just stick to the light hearted side of Craig's List closing their personals, that would be great.

Thanks everyone for your cooperation and understanding.  Wink

Sorry if it was me that brought on this response.  I was just trying to elaborate on why CL shut down their personal section with information related to the topic.  I wasn't trying to make it political.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 10:08 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Sorry if it was me that brought on this response.  I was just trying to elaborate on why CL shut down their personal section with information related to the topic.  I wasn't trying to make it political.

Your post was informative. You're good, no worries.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, this thread is starting to wander toward P&R territory.  I realize that it's the weekend, and P&R is currently closed.  So, for the rest of the weekend, if we could just stick to the light hearted side of Craig's List closing their personals, that would be great.

Thanks everyone for your cooperation and understanding.  Wink

I was actually considering making a thread on this in P&R, because of how, according to some internet advocate groups, this new law might infringe on 1st amendment rights and the can of worms it could possibly open in the long run.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
How the heck am I going to meet my next BBSF who's into hardcore anal?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Last year some lady drove past my parent's house and said blah blah blah my husband loves your landscaping and gardening! After 10 minutes of talking she invited him in the car to go drive to her house and talk to her husband.

He got in and of course my mom was super mad. I told him he's an idiot. Old people....
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 07:30 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Last year some lady drove past my parent's house and said blah blah blah my husband loves your landscaping and gardening! After 10 minutes of talking she invited him in the car to go drive to her house and talk to her husband.

He got in and of course my mom was super mad. I told him he's an idiot. Old people....

she just wanted him to fertilize her garden
Reply/Quote