Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy Trade Idea Involving Lamar Jackson
So if a team wants to sign Lamar Jackson, they have to give up 2 first round picks, one in 2023 and and one in 2024. But teams that want Lamar might have a top-10 pick, meaning they would have to give up a very significant amount of value to get him.

So what if the Bengals got involved and swapped picks with one of those teams, so that they only have to trade away #28 to the Ravens.

Let's use Atlanta and Carolina as example. They have the #8 and #9 picks respectively.

If we trade #28 and our 2024 first round pick to move up to either #8 or #9, then that team could use #28 and our 2024 first round pick for Lamar Jackson. Then if we win the Super Bowl, the Ravens will get the worst first round pick in 2024; minimizing the value they get from the trade.

This could be a huge opportunity for us to both move up in the draft and screw our rival at the same time. I know it's crazy and I doubt the Bengals are thinking on that level, but I still think it's a cool idea.
Reply/Quote
Eh, this is the type of trade that happens in the NBA and not the NFL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 01:29 AM)Weazzel80 Wrote: So if a team wants to sign Lamar Jackson, they have to give up 2 first round picks, one in 2023 and and one in 2024. But teams that want Lamar might have a top-10 pick, meaning they would have to give up a very significant amount of value to get him.

So what if the Bengals got involved and swapped picks with one of those teams, so that they only have to trade away #28 to the Ravens.

Let's use Atlanta and Carolina as example. They have the #8 and #9 picks respectively.

If we trade #28 and our 2024 first round pick to move up to either #8 or #9, then that team could use #28 and our 2024 first round pick for Lamar Jackson. Then if we win the Super Bowl, the Ravens will get the worst first round pick in 2024; minimizing the value they get from the trade.

This could be a huge opportunity for us to both move up in the draft and screw our rival at the same time. I know it's crazy and I doubt the Bengals are thinking on that level, but I still think it's a cool idea.

Teams can have a deal in place with Jackson, then wait until April 29th, day after of round 1 of draft and ink a contract. Then, it would be 2024 and 2025 1st round picks and with Lamar they would be banking on thier record/team being better and worse draft position.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 10:38 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Teams can have a deal in place with Jackson, then wait until April 29th, day after of round 1 of draft and ink a contract. Then, it would be 2024 and 2025 1st round picks and with Lamar they would be banking on thier record/team being better and worse draft position.

I don't think it works like that. They can't just have a deal in place because the Ravens get a chance to match the offer. And they have to get it done before another team makes an offer first.

I still think that if Atlanta or Carolina want Lamar; it only makes sense to trade down first and then make the offer. 

I'd also imagine they want the deal done at the start of free agency so they can put their team together accordingly 
Reply/Quote
Would give them #28 and Joe Mixon for their 9th but not next years first pick.

Yet doubt they would accept.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 03:20 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I don't think it works like that. They can't just have a deal in place because the Ravens get a chance to match the offer. And they have to get it done before another team makes an offer first.

I still think that if Atlanta or Carolina want Lamar; it only makes sense to trade down first and then make the offer. 

I'd also imagine they want the deal done at the start of free agency so they can put their team together accordingly 

There is no timeline for a FA or tagged player to sign a deal prior to the NFL draft. so, yes Lamar can decide and wait until after the draft to ink a deal, then Ravens have 5 days to match it or get 2 1st round picks.

That is why it was very strange the Ravens gave the 2nd best franchise tag, option one would have paid him 44 million versus  33 million, but they would have been guaranteed his rights for 2023 season.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 06:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There is no timeline for a FA or tagged player to sign a deal prior to the NFL draft. so, yes Lamar can decide and wait until after the draft to ink a deal, then Ravens have 5 days to match it or get 2 1st round picks.

That is why it was very strange the Ravens gave the 2nd best franchise tag, option one would have paid him 44 million versus  33 million, but they would have been guaranteed his rights for 2023 season.

If they would have given the other tag, then they wouldn't be able to let other teams engage him in contract talks.

The whole reason they did it that way is because they haven't been able to get even close to what he wants for a contract - so they will let another team deal with it.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 07:05 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If they would have given the other tag, then they wouldn't be able to let other teams engage him in contract talks.

The whole reason they did it that way is because they haven't been able to get even close to what he wants for a contract - so they will let another team deal with it.

It is risky move. Someone could offer Jackson a 3 year deal for 170 million with 100% guaranteed. Ravens don't have cap money to match it, so in the end may get 2 first round picks, but not until 2024 and 2025.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 01:29 AM)Weazzel80 Wrote: So if a team wants to sign Lamar Jackson, they have to give up 2 first round picks, one in 2023 and and one in 2024. But teams that want Lamar might have a top-10 pick, meaning they would have to give up a very significant amount of value to get him.

If another team wants to sign Lamar, Baltimore can either match the deal or get 2 picks. So if they know that those picks are #28 and another low pick, they probably will just match the offer.
Reply/Quote
A signing team could use a creative poison pill like:

In 2023 base salary is increased by 10 million dollars per game Jackson starts against the Bengals, Steelers or Browns...so if the Rats match they either have to sit Jackson for all division games or he has a 2023 cap hit of something like 90 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 10:25 PM)Joelist Wrote: A signing team could use a creative poison pill like:

In 2023 base salary is increased by 10 million dollars per game Jackson starts against the Bengals, Steelers or Browns...so if the Rats match they either have to sit Jackson for all division games or he has a 2023 cap hit of something like 90 million.

Poison pills aren't allowed anymore. After the Steve Hutchinson fiasco, the NFL put a stop to it. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:26 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Poison pills aren't allowed anymore. After the Steve Hutchinson fiasco, the NFL put a stop to it. 

You beat me to it
Reply/Quote
Any deal where we have to give up a 1st round pick is not going to happen.
Reply/Quote