Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit to Paul Guenther
Seems Guenther is busting his butt trying to come up with ways to turn around the defense and to light a fire in the players.  I credit him for taking this serious and tough approach.  Don't know how the defense will perform the rest of the season, but considering how many complaints I've seen talking about the Bengals never giving the young players a chance and not having any fiery coaches since Zimmer  etc., I'm happy to see that changes are coming and Guenther is driving it personally.

Check this out:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18005572

Certainly seems that he is a coach who is going to hold players accountable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Here's to a strong second half of the season for the defensive unit! I'm pretty sure that the offense can hold up it's end, so long as the defense can get off the field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 03:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's to a strong second half of the season for the defensive unit!  I'm pretty sure that the offense can hold up it's end, so long as the defense can get off the field.

I don't know about the offense man.  They had one good game against Washington, but until I see Eifert dominating regularly and the offensive line hold up in protection more, I wouldn't trust them.  They are relying on AJ Green way too much, and I feel that this will bite them in the rear when they play Pittsburgh which seems to know how to bottle AJ up.  It's up to the line to create running lanes regularly and to hold up in protection against the Steelers' blitz that will decide who wins the division.  I would almost say the same about the Ravens especially since their defense is much better than Pittsburgh's, but they always seem to find a way to allow AJ Green to have monster games against them, so the Bengals might find a way to beat them somehow (also the Baltimore offense is not that good to put scoreboard pressure on the Bengals Offense). 

The defense has to find a way to at least get half way up from where it is toward where it was last year, for the Bengals to get to the playoffs, IMO.  At least Guenther seems to be doing whatever he can to fix it.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 06:12 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I don't know about the offense man.  They had one good game against Washington, but until I see Eifert dominating regularly and the offensive line hold up in protection more, I wouldn't trust them.  They are relying on AJ Green way too much, and I feel that this will bite them in the rear when they play Pittsburgh which seems to know how to bottle AJ up.  It's up to the line to create running lanes regularly and to hold up in protection against the Steelers' blitz that will decide who wins the division.  I would almost say the same about the Ravens especially since their defense is much better than Pittsburgh's, but they always seem to find a way to allow AJ Green to have monster games against them, so the Bengals might find a way to beat them somehow (also the Baltimore offense is not that good to put scoreboard pressure on the Bengals Offense). 

The defense has to find a way to at least get half way up from where it is toward where it was last year, for the Bengals to get to the playoffs, IMO.  At least Guenther seems to be doing whatever he can to fix it.

Offense has been gaining momentum, as they adjust to their handicap on the OL.  Unless Andy had an off day, I feel pretty confident in their ability to put competitive points on the board.  It has to start with the defense stopping the opposition, giving the offense more possessions.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
And Marv just stepped on his dick. Told Lapham and Hoard there won't be any changes to the defensive depth chart and Guenther shouldn't have said there would be.
Reply/Quote
Did you notice Hoard's story, where Marvin was throwing a little cold water on some of Guenther's ideas. Take a look on the website.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 08:14 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: And Marv just stepped on his dick. Told Lapham and Hoard there won't be any changes to the defensive depth chart and Guenther shouldn't have said there would be.

Eh, none of the proposed changes were "bring Zimmer back" or "clone Zimmer", so their effectiveness would have been dubious anyway.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Probably would've been good to do this *before* the season started.

Reply/Quote
My question to Marvin would be what are the vets doing that earns them the right to keep playing ?
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 08:14 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: And Marv just stepped on his dick. Told Lapham and Hoard there won't be any changes to the defensive depth chart and Guenther shouldn't have said there would be.

What a jackass. Leave it to Marv to repeat the same stuff over and over again and expect different results. Taking a page right out of his good ole buddy Mikey's book  Whatever
Reply/Quote
Marvin said NOT to put Dennard over Shaw? Heaven forbid... oh wait... Marvin is right on this one.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 06:12 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: They are relying on AJ Green way too much, and I feel that this will bite them in the rear when they play Pittsburgh which seems to know how to bottle AJ up. 

Green kills the Steelers.  they held him in check the first game this year (2 catches for 38 yards) but check out the last six games before that

5 rec...... 71 yds, 1 td
6 rec.....132 yds, 1 td
11 rec...118 yds, 1 td
8 rec...... 82 yds
11 rec....224 yds, 1 td
9 rec....... 93 yds
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 10:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Green kills the Steelers.  they held him in check the first game this year (2 catches for 38 yards) but check out the last six games before that

5 rec...... 71 yds, 1 td
6 rec.....132 yds, 1 td
11 rec...118 yds, 1 td
8 rec...... 82 yds
11 rec....224 yds, 1 td
9 rec....... 93 yds

Yeah, I think that poster has it backwards. Green usually has big games against them. We however, are one of the best teams at shutting  down Antonio Brown.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 02:43 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Seems Guenther is busting his butt trying to come up with ways to turn around the defense and to light a fire in the players.  I credit him for taking this serious and tough approach.  Don't know how the defense will perform the rest of the season, but considering how many complaints I've seen talking about the Bengals never giving the young players a chance and not having any fiery coaches since Zimmer  etc., I'm happy to see that changes are coming and Guenther is driving it personally.

It's too bad the HC didn't take the initiative to change
thing up... Oh, that's right the HC is Marvy Lewis. Sad
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 09:45 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: What a jackass. Leave it to Marv to repeat the same stuff over and over again and expect different results. Taking a page right out of his good ole buddy Mikey's book  Whatever

definition of insanity....
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 02:43 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Seems Guenther is busting his butt trying to come up with ways to turn around the defense and to light a fire in the players.  I credit him for taking this serious and tough approach.  Don't know how the defense will perform the rest of the season, but considering how many complaints I've seen talking about the Bengals never giving the young players a chance and not having any fiery coaches since Zimmer  etc., I'm happy to see that changes are coming and Guenther is driving it personally.

Guenther is coming up with ways to turn around an under-preforming defense after half the season is done.

How accountable were Burfict, Jones, and Maualuga for celebrating a playoff win in the locker room with time on the clock?
Reply/Quote

Holy shit....... Facepalm 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I saw this and pictured Marv saying:  "Haven't you watched me all these years?  We just say we need to block and tackle better, change nothing, and clap twice while saying let's go!  It gets everyone really fired up, especially in the playoffs".

:giggle: :whiteflag: Hammer Pissed Facepalm Lame Sick Rant :giggle:
Reply/Quote
I get it Marvin has been a defensive minded coach for a long time, but he owes it to Paul to at least let him do his job. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work and that's on Paul. I however find it hilarious that Marvin is terrified of calling out his players that are playing poorly, but he'll stab his defensive coordinator in the back in a moments notice.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 10:12 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I get it Marvin has been a defensive minded coach for a long time, but he owes it to Paul to at least let him do his job. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work and that's on Paul. I however find it hilarious that Marvin is terrified of calling out his players that are playing poorly, but he'll stab his defensive coordinator in the back in a moments notice.

Ask Zimmer how that worked with Turner. Fact of the matter is he is the head coach, and he has that right to do this. I don't think it's a good look, but I respect it actually. My first two years of being a head coach for my pee-wee team, the biggest lesson learned was to run the team my way, and my way only. You let others do there thing and bad things usually start happening. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote