Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Creed Humphrey is PFF's highest graded rookie with 91.2 grade. This one stings.
(12-30-2021, 01:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There was definitely a huge need at Center for us. We gambled on Hopkins being ready by the start of the season, and he clearly wasn’t. He was awful for about the first month or so. And if we had Humphrey holding it down at C, Hopkins could have been good depth at RG.

I recall you defending Hopkins when others were stating that he was average at best and coming off of a late season significant leg injury
Reply/Quote
That's the gamble you take when you try to fix your line in the 2nd round.

Chase worked out. Carman turned into a "wait til next year" question mark.

Not sure if we can rely on him going forward. It's a risk if we do. So we could be kicking the can even further down the road (2023) if we rely on him and he isn't the guy. People won't want to hear that, but it's reality.

I don't see any reason why o-line won't be the top priority next year, though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 01:21 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I recall you defending Hopkins when others were stating that he was average at best and coming off of a late season significant leg injury

Well bully for you, Frank.

Not sure what that matters though. I would have been ecstatic with Humphrey in the 2nd.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 01:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the gamble you take when you try to fix your line in the 2nd round.

Chase worked out. Carman turned into a "wait til next year" question mark.

Not sure if we can rely on him going forward. It's a risk if we do. So we could be kicking the can even further down the road (2023) if we rely on him and he isn't the guy. People won't want to hear that, but it's reality.

I don't see any reason why o-line won't be the top priority next year, though.

We’re going to be in the same situation in this draft. Every mock I’ve seen has all the top OL prospects gone by the time we pick in the mid-late 20’s. They will have to be very aggressive in FA.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 01:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’re going to be in the same situation in this draft. Every mock I’ve seen has all the top OL prospects gone by the time we pick in the mid-late 20’s. They will have to be very aggressive in FA.

Appreciate the info. I never dig into the prospects until the combine approaches.

We should have plenty to spend, so it'd be nice to see us lock up Spain and bring in one other big FA with a couple picks mixed in. That should be a good start.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
From what I can tell there's a few good OL in FA next off-season. Hopefully we can get at least one more and keep Reiff. Maybe grab someone like Ben Jones to secure the center, or Laken Tomlinson for another guard if we can grab a good center in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 01:58 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: From what I can tell there's a few good OL in FA next off-season. Hopefully we can get at least one more and keep Reiff. Maybe grab someone like Ben Jones to secure the center, or Laken Tomlinson for another guard if we can grab a good center in the draft.

My want is James Daniels. Wanted him coming out of college and want him now. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 02:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My want is James Daniels. Wanted him coming out of college and want him now. 

I like James Daniels too. If he could clean up his penalties, then he would be a hell of a guard. That's his biggest downside imo.
Reply/Quote
If we get a new center, I want Hopkins on the team as the back up.

Good depth is an x-factor
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 11:30 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I wish you were in our front office.  Him at pick 61 looks like an insane steal.

If I were in Tobins shoes we would have a better offensive line and wouldn’t have needed to consider Sewell this year. Every fan would know we were picking Chase at 5 and going Humphrey in 2.

Would have been wrong on that Trey Smith guy though. I think that’s the Chiefs late round pick.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 10:16 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: If I were in Tobins shoes we would have a better offensive line and wouldn’t have needed to consider Sewell this year. Every fan would know we were picking Chase at 5 and going Humphrey in 2.

Would have been wrong on that Trey Smith guy though. I think that’s the Chiefs late round pick.

As a player, Trey Smith was at the top of my interior OL wish list, however there were some serious health concerns with him as he had blood clot issues.  He must have resolved those issues, as he's turning into a fine Guard.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I was pro-Creed coming into this draft as well (and pro-Chase in first). I had to warm up to the Carman pick after we made it, but think he has promise if he can work on his balance. I didn't like Trey Smith as early as a lot of the mocks had him pre-draft, but thought it was crazy when he was there as late as he was towards the end. Hopefully there are some intriguing options in next year's, although it's nice that I haven't been solely focused on draft at this point of the season for the first time in a while lol.
Reply/Quote
By trading down in the second round we got Shelvin and Smith. We’ll see if it works out. Taking Creed for us and a lot of teams in hindsight would’ve been a better decision. Likewise Montana and Brady were missed by a bunch of HOF coaches. It’s not a sure fire process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 12:15 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I gotta imagine C and G is a very easy transition.  Much easier than T to G which is what we did.

Yeah, as much as I like Carman this was my only regret in not taking Creed Humphrey. 

He was my pick in the 2nd followed by Jackson Carman. The move from left side to right side is hard, let alone the move from LT 
to RG. That is a very hard move. I think Carman will be great down the road but I would like a little more urgency sometimes in our
drafting, makes a statement to the vets to push them and Hopkins was coming off injury. We might of been much better early on 
this year with a healthy young talented Center instead of an older, injured vet Center who was clearly our weakness early on.
Reply/Quote