Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique this Top 5 Bengals picks idea
(03-26-2024, 03:54 PM)depthchart Wrote: I here you and am not against a small Trade up in round 1 (say 4 or 5 spots) to get a Fuaga or Latham.

I doubt either Fuaga or Latham will be there at pick #18.

OT options may get thin by pick #18 but would not be against an OT pick if the Bengals can Nail it.

Brian Thomas Jr could be getting near BPA level at around pick #18 but there are other options.

Duke had mentioned wanting to solve the revolving door at TE which made me think of one here at 115 in Theo.

If no TE at #115 then there are a number of ways to go there that I would be open to.

People keep banging the Fuaga drum, but he projects more to being a Guard. His arms measured in at 33 1/4".... Minimum teams look for in a NFL OT is typically 34. Jonah Williams was 33 5/8", for example, and he was also labeled as a better G or even C prospect than OT. After seeing mixed results over the last 5 years I am more in favor of finding monsters as bookends than guys like Williams: Technical players who's #1 trait was "He studies opponents hard" or "cerebral". I almost vomited in my mouth when they announced Williams as the pick in 2019.

I would never say any physical trait is a guarantee or be all end all.... but NFL OTs need to be big and have reach and this draft has prospects for OT all over it that have every physical trait you'd want.

BTW, I like the idea of taking an interior lineman in the first. Fuaga or Powers-Johnson would be great and they can move Volson to swing G. As of this moment, he is a weak link on the line.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 06:36 PM)depthchart Wrote: Based on what you said, there could be 2 Trade Down opportunities early on.

Trade down off of pick #18

Trade down off of pick #49 (to maybe target McKinnley Jackson a little later)

*I do think DT McKinnley Jackson will rise on Draft Boards as you said but my pick at #49 may still be too early.

Two Trade Downs early sounds interesting and I stay open minded. 

Would the Bengals ever get this off script during a Draft ?  Probably not but it is interesting to think about.

I don’t think they will. They don’t trade around much at all. Sometimes they trade down a few picks. The one time that sticks out was when they traded for a tackle and swapped firsts and it didn’t work out well. The tackle didn’t pan out and then they missed out on Ragnow and reached on a center.

I could see them having a hard time trading down from 49 because I don’t know what another team would be trading up for.

We’ll see. I think the draft position would be better if they trade down. But I don’t think it’s likely.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote