Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puig and Jose Iglasias
I never dreamed I would end up being such a Puig fan and Iglasias is just plain found gold.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 01:28 PM)McC Wrote: I never dreamed I would end up being such a Puig fan and Iglasias is just plain found gold.

I agree, I have warmed up to Puig a lot. Iglesias made a bonehead hot dog move last night that was totally uncalled for but overall he's been a gem. 

I hope they can keep them both but they have to improve in other areas to be a true contender.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Puig is having a good year, on a "meh" kind of team, and he's UFA at season's end. What are the chances that the Reds will pay him the kind of $$$ that he's looking for?

I really wish they had another year of control over his contract, but they don't. I would expect them to move him for some "magic beans", before the deadline.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Any guesses on what Puig will be looking for in his next deal? He's currently 28, and will likely be looking for a career contract, much like Votto's. (according to my best guesses)

Factoring inflation since Votto's 2014 deal, I'd say somewhere around 10 years and $30M/per.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 02:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Any guesses on what Puig will be looking for in his next deal? He's currently 28, and will likely be looking for a career contract, much like Votto's. (according to my best guesses)

Factoring inflation since Votto's 2014 deal, I'd say somewhere around 10 years and $30M/per.

He may want that but his market is in no way close to that. I could see him getting 6 years at maybe 22 a year and the Reds should stay away if it takes that much. The Reds should top out at 4 years at 15 a year. Maybe throw in a bobble head giveaway every year to stroke his ego.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 04:18 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He may want that but his market is in no way close to that. I could see him getting 6 years at maybe 22 a year and the Reds should stay away if it takes that much. The Reds should top out at 4 years at 15 a year. Maybe throw in a bobble head giveaway every year to stroke his ego.

This is precisely my point about trading him. They are going to have to overpay to keep him and letting an asset just walk at the end of the season is pointless on a last place team.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 02:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Any guesses on what Puig will be looking for in his next deal?  He's currently 28, and will likely be looking for a career contract, much like Votto's. (according to my best guesses)

12-15 Million per year.  18 Million for one year is considered a quality offer and if he declined, Reds would get compensatory pick.  I say extend Puig if they can.  

Iggy will want about 8-10M per year for 4-5 years.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 04:18 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He may want that but his market is in no way close to that. I could see him getting 6 years at maybe 22 a year and the Reds should stay away if it takes that much. The Reds should top out at 4 years at 15 a year. Maybe throw in a bobble head giveaway every year to stroke his ego.

I think that if that's what the Reds offer him, he and his agent will scoff, and off to market he goes.  Dude is definitely ego driven, as evidenced by his quote in LA paper, stating that he "would have worked harder, had he been paid more".

The guy has the talent, he now wants the money to reflect it.  LA didn't pawn him off on Cincinnati without a reason..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 07:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that if that's what the Reds offer him, he and his agent will scoff, and off to market he goes.  Dude is definitely ego driven, as evidenced by his quote in LA paper, stating that he "would have worked harder, had he been paid more".

The guy has the talent, he now wants the money to reflect it.  LA didn't pawn him off on Cincinnati without a reason..

LA dumped Puig because of his attitude not because of his potential earnings.  Puig simply did not want to be a platoon player and took it out on his team so that they would move him.  I think 15 m per year along with incentives would get him for 5 years.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 05:50 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: This is precisely my point about trading him. They are going to have to overpay to keep him and letting an asset just walk at the end of the season is pointless on a last place team.

This is true but the Reds will either sign him for too much or let him walk for nothing. There are reasons that this team is bearing down on 5 straight last place finishes.. The little things add up.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 07:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that if that's what the Reds offer him, he and his agent will scoff, and off to market he goes.  Dude is definitely ego driven, as evidenced by his quote in LA paper, stating that he "would have worked harder, had he been paid more".

I agree that he will test the market unless the Reds overpay and I really hope that they’ve learned their lesson on doing that.
Reply/Quote
CBS Sports says Puig is the 2nd best hitter available before the trade deadline.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-deadline-ranking-the-top-10-hitters-who-could-move-including-yasiel-puig-and-whit-merrifield/
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I see the Reds trading Puig by the deadline and keeping Iggy for a 2 to 3 year contract. The Reds have plenty of outfielders and could afford to trade Puig to a contender. As for Iggy, he is our shortstop for the next few years.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote