Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cub Cadet LT1042 Service
I bought this riding mower 10yrs ago brand new from Lowes. Although many of you who are very mechanic minded will faint when I say, "I've never changed the oil, oil filter, air breather or spark plug." It has 144hrs on it. However, last year I went to TSC and bought all the shit to do so, including deck belt, I started working too much I was never home. i did attemp, but was quickly frustrated when I couldn't figure out how to drain the oil, and also quickly learned the deck belt I bought was too big.

Well, today I exchanged the belt (no shit, they exchanged it 1yr later) and changed spark plug, oil, belt and oil filter. Couldn't change air filter because I had wrong one. Mower runs like it's brand new!

Thank God for YouTube tutorials which taught me how to drain oil and get to the spark plug. ThumbsUp

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sonafabitch! Was moving, got 3/4 was done, saw smoke and now won't go forward or reverse.

Reply/Quote
A new one is in your future. I am not mechanically well off, sounds like something that would happen to me. I change my mowers oil every 2 or 3 years cause I'm afraid the same shit would happen to me. I'm due this year but after reading this I may wait. You never know though, it could of just been time and it was a coincidence. That's what I would go w/ at least.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 10:15 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: A new one is in your future.  I am not mechanically well off, sounds like something that would happen to me.  I change my mowers oil every 2 or 3 years cause I'm afraid the same shit would happen to me.  I'm due this year but after reading this I may wait.  You never know though, it could of just been time and it was a coincidence.  That's what I would go w/ at least.

Not that drastic. It was the belt to the transmission. I pulled it out and it was pretty dry rotted. However, I will not attempt to change this myself. Looks to complicated. Taking it to someone who knows WTF they are doing, and has the tools to do it.

Reply/Quote
We had a Cub Cadet that was bought around the mid 2000s and we were constantly having issues with it. The belt would come loose and would have to be re-attached and it just couldn't handle my property. I don't know what kind of property it could handle unless it was just flat with no trees.

Spent more money repairing it then we got use for it.
Reply/Quote
Got a Craftsman 9xxxxxx .. I can't remember numbers for squat,  but in three years it's run absolutely flawlessly. 26.5 hours on it and I do change the oil every spring ..The yard isn't huge, but big enough and hilly and I have arthritis in both hips and knees. The Mrs had once suggested we get an old reel mower to which I said, "The grass will never get cut again"
She relented and being the money savvy person she is we also got the shirt off the back of the salesman. 
Hey, if you want it to last longer don't ever use gas with alcohol in it in any small engine. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 10:17 PM)grampahol Wrote: Hey, if you want it to last longer don't ever use gas with alcohol in it in any small engine. 

And how do I get gas without Ethanol?

Reply/Quote
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 11:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not that drastic. It was the belt to the transmission. I pulled it out and it was pretty dry rotted. However, I will not attempt to change this myself. Looks to complicated. Taking it to someone who knows WTF they are doing, and has the tools to do it.

Drive belts are a little tougher than the deck belt.  I did a drive belt on a different brand of mower, a couple years ago, my first ever changing one.  Wasn't too bad, looked at a few diagrams.  Took my time and lo and behold, two hours and 4 beers later, we ride!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 10:52 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: And how do I get gas without Ethanol?

Small airports are a good source of it.

If I recall correctly your Cub Cadet is the same as my Troy Bilt Super Bronco (both by MTD) from the same era.  The oil dipstick is very inaccurate, so it is easy to overfill and have oil get into the combustion chamber and smoke and stall.  Try keeping the oil level close to the FILL mark if you can, and the smoking should cease.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 10:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: If I recall correctly your Cub Cadet is the same as my Troy Bilt Super Bronco (both by MTD) from the same era.

No Shit? I feel much better now. The deck belt I put on it was a Troy Built belt which contained the same part number as the cub cadet required part number.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 10:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote:   The oil dipstick is very inaccurate, so it is easy to overfill and have oil get into the combustion chamber and smoke and stall.  Try keeping the oil level close to the FILL mark if you can, and the smoking should cease.

You are correct. When filling with new oil, I did accidentally overfill. However, I drained it before starting it. The smoke I referred to came from the drive belt.

Reply/Quote
Hey Gladys.....does your husband mow and work on mowers?

Ninja LMAO Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 10:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hey Gladys.....does your husband mow and work on mowers?

Ninja LMAO Wink

Confused

[Image: Lost-dog.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Totally off topic, but I have had one HELLUVA time pressure washing my decks and privacy fence this year.  First, my pressure washer (a rather old Generac, but it has the indestructible Honda 5 HP motor) started making an awful racket about half way through the job.....I added a little motor honey to the pump, and it carried on for a bit, then the thing had problems staying running.  Unbeknownst to me, the pump was hand-grenading before my eyes.  So, I get it fired back up, and just keep my finger on the trigger (in the middle of this, the wand springs a massive leak, and I have to stop and take it apart, plumber tape the fittings and reassemble) when it starts making an awful racket and smoking out of the pump.  Cashed.

So, my neighbor has the exact same pressure washer.  He lets me borrow his.  I get about half way through the remaining half of the job, when the manifold that bolts to the back of the pump, where the hoses connect, starts spewing like a geyser.  WTF?!?! I start looking at it, and realize some O rings are blown out, and two bolts are sheared off.  He's out of town, so I can't ask him anything about it....but I'm thinking someone has worked on it before and sheared the bolts off, because how in the hell would this happen just using the damn thing, right?  So, I get my O ring kits out, and find some that will fit, and put it back together.  Works about 30 minutes, blows again.  By now, as you can imagine....about a week into a four/five hour job, I'm pissed.  So, I take the pump head off my old washer, clean out all of the metal shavings and bearings from the blown pump, and bolt it onto his because it has the necessary holes to use all of the bolts for the manifold.  I get down to the last section of fence and the lattice under my pool deck, and I'll be damned if that ***** thing didn't shear off two bolts that connected the pump head/valve body to the pump and blew that sumbitch off!  Needless to say, I have TWO new pumps on the way, and the job still isn't finished.  

Rant over..... LMAO

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 10:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: Totally off topic, but I have had one HELLUVA time pressure washing my decks and privacy fence this year.  First, my pressure washer (a rather old Generac, but it has the indestructible Honda 5 HP motor) started making an awful racket about half way through the job.....I added a little motor honey to the pump, and it carried on for a bit, then the thing had problems staying running.  Unbeknownst to me, the pump was hand-grenading before my eyes.  So, I get it fired back up, and just keep my finger on the trigger (in the middle of this, the wand springs a massive leak, and I have to stop and take it apart, plumber tape the fittings and reassemble) when it starts making an awful racket and smoking out of the pump.  Cashed.

So, my neighbor has the exact same pressure washer.  He lets me borrow his.  I get about half way through the remaining half of the job, when the manifold that bolts to the back of the pump, where the hoses connect, starts spewing like a geyser.  WTF?!?! I start looking at it, and realize some O rings are blown out, and two bolts are sheared off.  He's out of town, so I can't ask him anything about it....but I'm thinking someone has worked on it before and sheared the bolts off, because how in the hell would this happen just using the damn thing, right?  So, I get my O ring kits out, and find some that will fit, and put it back together.  Works about 30 minutes, blows again.  By now, as you can imagine....about a week into a four/five hour job, I'm pissed.  So, I take the pump head off my old washer, clean out all of the metal shavings and bearings from the blown pump, and bolt it onto his because it has the necessary holes to use all of the bolts for the manifold.  I get down to the last section of fence and the lattice under my pool deck, and I'll be damned if that ***** thing didn't shear off two bolts that connected the pump head/valve body to the pump and blew that sumbitch off!  Needless to say, I have TWO new pumps on the way, and the job still isn't finished.  

Rant over..... LMAO

This sounds like something that would happen to me. Although your probably more mechanically inclined than I am, I take small victories when I'm able to fix shit without "calling the guy." Usually when life looks down and see's me taking a little pride, it gets destroyed instantly. Therefore, if we ever have a nuclear war? The first launch will be because I fixed something BIG and was pretty happy about it. LOL.

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 10:29 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: This sounds like something that would happen to me. Although your probably more mechanically inclined than I am, I take small victories when I'm able to fix shit without "calling the guy." Usually when life looks down and see's me taking a little pride, it gets destroyed instantly. Therefore, if we ever have a nuclear war? The first launch will be because I fixed something BIG and was pretty happy about it. LOL.

Hahahaha, yeah....I do most all of my own mechanic work, swapped out an engine, clutches, u-joints, ball joints, tie rods, shocks, axles, brakes, brake boosters, AC system, radiators, thermostats, etc....even SOME minor electrical work....which is a *****....but those pressure washers whipped my ass!  LMAO

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 08:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: No Shit? I feel much better now. The deck belt I put on it was a Troy Built belt which contained the same part number as the cub cadet required part number.

The MTD brand has Troy Bilt, Cub Cadet, Yard Man, Bolen, some Craftsman models, Arnold, and (I think) a few other offshoots that are all the same.  In reality all tractors, regardless of brand on the cowling, are made by MTD, Husqvarna, or John Deere.
Reply/Quote
Damn I'm getting old. 1 month away from my 50th birthday. I decided to push mow my yard today since the rider is getting worked on. Good Lord!

The first 5 minutes I'm like, "shit, this is going to kill me." Then I start getting back pains and I swear my hip popped twice. Then comes the light headedness about 15 minutes in. The I think I should take a break but then my anger kicks in and says "screw that shit, it will only take longer to complete!" So as I continue, I am sweating pretty hard and it's burning my eyes. I look up and still have 3/4 of a yard to mow, Sonafabitch!

I drive on with guns & roses blaring in my ear drums. Then? I start getting my second wind. My breathing improves and my fatigue is slightly diminishing. I got this shit!

I'm getting pretty close to being complete, then hit a brick wall. My mind says quit this shit, this is for kids and people are a little bit more active that don't sit at a desk all day. However, my pride starts kicking in. So as the tune back in black is raging in my ear drum, my mind is actually hearing the chugging of the little engine that could. I'm not stopping, I'm going to finish this *****!

The dogs are laying in my last few lines I got to mow, and as I'm heading at them, they are giving me the "eff you, mow around us look!" Well, HD is not taking shit from no dog and I head at them with a look in my eyes, "move, or I'll cut ya!" The knew I meant business and got the hell out of the way. Then, a miracle happened. I FINISHED!

Now I'm sitting in my mancave drinking a bud light and inhaling a Winston in congratulations for a job well done.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 01:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn I'm getting old. 1 month away from my 50th birthday. I decided to push mow my yard today since the rider is getting worked on. Good Lord!

The first 5 minutes I'm like, "shit, this is going to kill me." Then I start getting back pains and I swear my hip popped twice. Then comes the light headedness about 15 minutes in. The I think I should take a break but then my anger kicks in and says "screw that shit, it will only take longer to complete!" So as I continue, I am sweating pretty hard and it's burning my eyes. I look up and still have 3/4 of a yard to mow, Sonafabitch!

I drive on with guns & roses blaring in my ear drums. Then? I start getting my second wind. My breathing improves and my fatigue is slightly diminishing. I got this shit!

I'm getting pretty close to being complete, then hit a brick wall. My mind says quit this shit, this is for kids and people are a little bit more active that don't sit at a desk all day. However, my pride starts kicking in. So as the tune back in black is raging in my ear drum, my mind is actually hearing the chugging of the little engine that could. I'm not stopping, I'm going to finish this *****!

The dogs are laying in my last few lines I got to mow, and as I'm heading at them, they are giving me the "eff you, mow around us look!" Well, HD is not taking shit from no dog and I head at them with a look in my eyes, "move, or I'll cut ya!" The knew I meant business and got the hell out of the way. Then, a miracle happened. I FINISHED!

Now I'm sitting in my mancave drinking a bud light and inhaling a Winston in congratulations for a job well done.

Opus of the middle aged push mower?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote