Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cueto #1 trade target in MLB
Saw Jim Bowden and the other guys on MLB Tonight talking about how Cueto was the #1 target for contending teams and that he would bring a great return.

Basically they were saying that teams will get into a bidding war over the number one guy.

I'd love to keep Cueto, but I just don't think it is possible. This team is better than some people here think, but it is not going to compete for anything this year without Bailey and Mesaroco.

I could also see Chapman getting traded. He is one of the most dominating players the reds have had in many many years, but I think closers that just pitch 70 innings a year are a little overvalued.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Saw Jim Bowden and the other guys on MLB Tonight talking about how Cueto was the #1 target for contending teams and that he would bring a great return.

Basically they were saying that teams will get into a bidding war over the number one guy.

I'd love to keep Cueto, but I just don't think it is possible.  This team is better than some people here think, but it is not going to compete for anything this year without Bailey and Mesaroco.

I could also see Chapman getting traded.  He is one of the most dominating players the reds have had in many many years, but I think closers that just pitch 70 innings a year are a little overvalued.

I saw that too.  They claim Cueto will being in quite a haul.  Wonder what the Reds will be  looking for in return.  The farm system seems to be loaded with pitching prospects, so one would think it would be position players.  Question is--what positions?
My vote would be for guys who make contact and don't strike out constantly.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 11:11 AM)McC Wrote: I saw that too.  They claim Cueto will being in quite a haul.  Wonder what the Reds will be  looking for in return.  The farm system seems to be loaded with pitching prospects, so one would think it would be position players.  Question is--what positions?
My vote would be for guys who make contact and don't strike out constantly.

I think 3-4 prospects. OF, C, middle infield, SP or RP are the most likely areas.
Reply/Quote
I hope this is true. All I keep hearing is to temper expectations about getting a lot for him. The short amount of time whoever gets him will have him for is the reason I keep hearing.

I personally hope the Dodgers can be juiced for as much as possible. They're a team with money to burn and a lot of excellent prospects. Perfect place to send Cueto IMO. The length of contract might not mean as much if the team trading for him can afford to re-sign him in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
That is good news as I've heard the same as Samhain. I wonder what he's going to cost to sign. Kershaw get's an average of $32 million I believe, and healthy Cueto is right there with him, but I have to think his health issues are going to cost him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 06:50 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think 3-4 prospects. OF, C, middle infield, SP or RP are the most likely areas.

I can agree with this minus Catcher, and to a lesser extent Pitcher. They have Mez , Barnhart (whom I'm actually starting to like) and that kid they just drafted this year, Stephenson. They also got two pitchers after that. So probably shoot for a good IF and/or OF bat, and something like a #4 or 5 SP and a good RP. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
There are some untouchables on this list imo. But here are some 'possible' trade contenders and their players listed in MLB.com top 100 prospects... beginning of the year rank. I don't think the Reds will trade within their division

Yankees
Luis Severino RHP...number 17 overall
Aaron Judge OF...number 56 overall

Orioles
Dylan Bundy RHP..number 15 overall
Hunter Harvey RHP...number 34 overall

Washington
Lucas Giolito RHP...number 4 overall
AJ Cole RHP...number 42 overall

Mets
Steven Matz LHP...number 54 overall
Brandon Nimmo OF...number 58 overall
Michael Conforto OF...number 67 overall
Amed Rosario SS..number 95 overall

Dodgers
Corey Seager SS...number 4 overall
Julio Urias LHP...number 6 overall
Grant Holmes RHP...number 79 overall
Jose DeLeon RHP...number 93 overall

Giants
Kyle Crick RHP...number 65 overall

KC
Raul Mondesi SS...number 33 overall
Sean Manaea LHP...number 45 overall
Kyle Zimmer RHP...number 47 overall
Brandon Finnegan LHP...number 62 overall
Miguel Almonto RHP..number 69 overall

Houston
Mark Appel RHP...number 24 overall
Domingo Santana OF...number 58 overall
Vincent Velasquez RHP...number 71 overall
Michael Feliz RHP...number 85 overall
Brett Phillips OF...number 94 overall
Carlos Correa...number 2 overall

Tigers
Steven Moya OF..number 84 overall
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 10:59 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I can agree with this minus Catcher, and to a lesser extent Pitcher. They have Mez , Barnhart (whom I'm actually starting to like) and that kid they just drafted this year, Stephenson. They also got two pitchers after that. So probably shoot for a good IF and/or OF bat, and something like a #4 or 5 SP and a good RP. 

I only mentioned catcher because I'm not sure Mez stays there long term and our draft pick is only 18. We could use a big league ready prospect in the pipeline.

I think tonight's game went a long way towards improving Cueto's trade value. No sign of injury and completely dominant on the big stage going against Scherzer.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 11:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think tonight's game went a long way towards improving Cueto's trade value.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I watched that gem.

Hope he makes the All-star game as a Red.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 12:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was thinking the exact same thing as I watched that gem.

Hope he makes the All-star game as a Red.

That would be nice.  Then one, two more starts and...

Best pitcher we've had in a long time.   An ace in every sense of the word.  Hope he wins a WS.

Hopefully, one of the kids will become a #1.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Saw Jim Bowden and the other guys on MLB Tonight talking about how Cueto was the #1 target for contending teams and that he would bring a great return.

I'd love to keep Cueto, but I just don't think it is possible.  This team is better than some people here think, but it is not going to compete for anything this year without Bailey and Mesaroco.

I could also see Chapman getting traded.  He is one of the most dominating players the reds have had in many many years, but I think closers that just pitch 70 innings a year are a little overvalued.

I would love for this to happen, but I cant see a team giving up a helluva lot for a 4 month rental. If we can land a couple of decent prospects and maybe a guy who can help out now I would be stoked.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 11:59 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote:  I cant see a team giving up a helluva lot for a 4 month rental. 

It happens every year.  We won't get a boatload of prospect, but we will get good value.

Many teams trade for these guys in an attempt to get a leg up on signing them long term.
Reply/Quote
If we didn't sign bailey do you think they would sign him? Obviously Cueto will get more, but Bailey's salary would be a big chunk of it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 01:28 PM)Goalpost Wrote: UThere are some untouchables on this list imo.  But here are some 'possible' trade contenders and their players listed in MLB.com top 100 prospects... beginning of the year rank.   I don't think the Reds will trade within their division

Yankees
Luis Severino RHP...number 17 overall
Aaron Judge OF...number 56 overall

Orioles
Dylan Bundy RHP..number 15 overall
Hunter Harvey RHP...number 34 overall

Washington
Lucas Giolito RHP...number 4 overall
AJ Cole RHP...number 42 overall

Mets
Steven Matz LHP...number 54 overall
Brandon Nimmo OF...number 58 overall
Michael Conforto OF...number 67 overall
Amed Rosario SS..number 95 overall

Dodgers
Corey Seager SS...number 4 overall
Julio Urias LHP...number 6 overall
Grant Holmes RHP...number 79 overall
Jose DeLeon RHP...number 93 overall

Giants
Kyle Crick RHP...number 65 overall

KC
Raul Mondesi SS...number 33 overall
Sean Manaea LHP...number 45 overall
Kyle Zimmer RHP...number 47 overall
Brandon Finnegan LHP...number 62 overall
Miguel Almonto RHP..number 69 overall

Houston
Mark Appel RHP...number 24 overall
Domingo Santana OF...number 58 overall
Vincent Velasquez RHP...number 71 overall
Michael Feliz RHP...number 85 overall
Brett Phillips OF...number 94 overall
Carlos Correa...number 2 overall

Tigers
Steven Moya OF..number 84 overall

I'm not sure they'll trade Judge, but I'd love to get those two guys from the Yankees, who were scouting Cueto during that shutout game against the Nationals.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 11:09 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'm not sure they'll trade Judge, but I'd love to get those two guys from the Yankees, who were scouting Cueto during that shutout game against the Nationals.

I've heard more than one commentator say the Astros will be big buyers this year, and they supposedly have a lot of talent iun the minors.  So I suggest checking out their top prospects.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 05:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I've heard more than one commentator say the Astros will be big buyers this year, and they supposedly have a lot of talent iun the minors.  So I suggest checking out their top prospects.

I've heard some pundits talk about Houston as a landing place for Cueto, but I've not seen them listed as teams having scouts at Cueto's starts, just NY, Boston, Baltimore, Toronto, San Diego and Detroit.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 04:16 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I've heard some pundits talk about Houston as a landing place for Cueto, but I've not seen them listed as teams having scouts at Cueto's starts, just NY, Boston, Baltimore, Toronto, San Diego and Detroit.

No Dodgers scouts?

They seem like another likely trade partner.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 08:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No Dodgers scouts?

They seem like another likely trade partner.

That would be a ridiculous 1,2,3 in their rotation.

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 11:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That would be a ridiculous 1,2,3 in their rotation.

I think people justb throw them out as an option just because they have so much money.  Just like the Yankees used to be considered an option for every player available.

And, yes, that would be arguably the best starting pitching in history.
Reply/Quote
I say trade Cueto and get what you can. He is going to be a free agent whether he is on your team or another. If you want to sign him in free agency, go for it, but do not waste the chance to get prospects.
Reply/Quote