Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Culture as we become the hunted
Not interested in fostering arguments already rehashed about the change in culture. I’m interested in everybody’s thoughts if they think it’ll help not taking games off for over confidence. I think it will be a huge benefit that we’ve got some leaders and players from teams that were hunted previously and no how to not relax. I don’t think there’s any doubt we snuck up on some teams last year.
Reply/Quote
Last season, even with the vastly changed culture and winning ways, we had some issues that needed some improvement. The players were inconsistent with their effort and practice. There were some dumb penalties.

More than anything, I want to see growth from everyone and an improvement in their consistency. They need to learn to play with expectations. They will be playing without COVID restrictions for the first time in several years

We need the players across the boards to show they are mature human beings.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I think it won't be a problem, they got a sampling last year, and now want more.
ZT will keep them focused.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 12:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Not interested in fostering arguments already rehashed about the change in culture. I’m interested in everybody’s thoughts if they think it’ll help not taking games off for over confidence. I think it will be a huge benefit that we’ve got some leaders and players from teams that were hunted previously and no how to not relax. I don’t think there’s any doubt we snuck up on some teams last year.

There will be added pressure this year for the Bengals to win, whereas last year people weren't expecting it most games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
there's a long list of sb losers that didn't make the playoffs the next year or even have a winning record, so it's not easy.

i'm still not sold like some people on zac. i think this is actually his prove it year. he has to show last year wasn't just a one off and that he isn't just riding the coat tails of the talent. we should be able to see how good a coach he really is or isn't this year cause people will be gunnin for them.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:28 PM)pally Wrote: Last season, even with the vastly changed culture and winning ways, we had some issues that needed some improvement.  The players were inconsistent with their effort and practice.  There were some dumb penalties.

More than anything, I want to see growth from everyone and an improvement in their consistency.  They need to learn to play with expectations.  They will be playing without COVID restrictions for the first time in several years

I agree with this. Good team know how to just go in and take care of business. 

I remember Joey Votto was interviewed and asked a question about why he liked being on a winning team so much. Aside from the obvious answer, he said something along the lines of "it was fun just knowing you were going to go to the stadium and beat the **** out of other teams because you knew by the way you practiced and prepared you were that much better than them."

This team needs to develop/expand upon that approach. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 04:25 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: there's a long list of sb losers that didn't make the playoffs the next year or even have a winning record, so it's not easy.

i'm still not sold like some people on zac. i think this is actually his prove it year. he has to show last year wasn't just a one off and that he isn't just riding the coat tails of the talent. we should be able to see how good a coach he really is or isn't this year cause people will be gunnin for them.

Not sure where that comes from.

Out of the first 55 Super Bowl losers, 38 came back to make the playoffs the next season. The 69.1% playoff rate would refute the notion of a “Super Bowl runner-up jinx.”
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 04:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not sure where that comes from.

Out of the first 55 Super Bowl losers, 38 came back to make the playoffs the next season. The 69.1% playoff rate would refute the notion of a “Super Bowl runner-up jinx.”

this is why it's important to not be lazy and do more than copy and paste the first entry on google search. you gotta look at more recent results that aren't heavily skewed by the 60-90's when there were more dynasties and modern free agency wasn't a factor.

over the past 20 years, half didn't get back to the playoffs. only half were able to win 9 or more games and 8 didn't even have a winning season.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 04:55 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: this is why it's important to not be lazy and do more than copy and paste the first entry on google search. you gotta look at more recent results that aren't heavily skewed by the 60-90's when there were more dynasties and modern free agency wasn't a factor.

over the past 20 years, half didn't get back to the playoffs. only half were able to win 9 or more games and 8 didn't even have a winning season.

Sure..

2001 St. Louis Rams: Lost Super Bowl XXXVI, finished 7-9 (missed playoffs) in following season
2002 Oakland Raiders: Lost Super Bowl XXXVII, finished 4-12 (missed playoffs) in following season
2003 Carolina Panthers: Lost Super Bowl XXXVIII, finished 7-9 (missed playoffs) in following season
2004 Philadelphia Eagles: Lost Super Bowl XXXIX, finished 6-10 (missed playoffs) in following season
2005 Seattle Seahawks: Lost Super Bowl XL, finished 9-7 (made playoffs) in following season
2006 Chicago Bears: Lost Super Bowl XLI, finished 7-9 (missed playoffs) in following season
2007 New England Patriots: Lost Super Bowl XLII, finished 11-5 (missed playoffs) in following season
2008 Arizona Cardinals: Lost Super Bowl XLIII, finished 10-6 (made playoffs) in following season
2009 Indianapolis Colts: Lost Super Bowl XLIV, finished 10-6 (made playoffs) in following season
2010 Pittsburgh Steelers: Lost Super Bowl XLV, finished 12-4 (made playoffs) in following season
2011 New England Patriots: Lost Super Bowl XLVI, finished 12-4 (made playoffs) in following season
2012 San Francisco 49ers: Lost Super Bowl XLVII, finished 12-4 (made playoffs) in following season
2013 Denver Broncos: Lost Super Bowl XLVIII, finished 12-4 (made playoffs) in following season
2014 Seattle Seahawks: Lost Super Bowl XLIX, finished 10-6 (made playoffs) in following season
2015 Carolina Panthers: Lost Super Bowl 50, finished 6-10 (missed playoffs) in following season
2016 Atlanta Falcons: Lost Super Bowl LI, finished 10-6 (made playoffs) in following season
2017 New England Patriots: Lost Super Bowl LII, finished 11-5 (won Super Bowl LIII) in following season
2018 Los Angeles Rams: Lost Super Bowl LIII, finished 9-7 (missed playoffs) in following season
2019 San Francisco 49ers: Lost Super Bowl LIV, finished 6-10 (missed playoffs) in following season
2020 Kansas City Chiefs: Lost Super Bowl LV, finished 12-5 (made playoffs) in following season

Edited, you said 20 years. 

11/20 Good odds
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 04:25 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: there's a long list of sb losers that didn't make the playoffs the next year or even have a winning record, so it's not easy.

I’m sold on Zac but yes he’s not totally proven his value yet. However they doubled his salary and gave him 5 years so he’s got some time. The Rams were interested if McVay went to TV.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 12:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  I don’t think there’s any doubt we snuck up on some teams last year.

Like the Jets?  Ninja

(05-12-2022, 04:25 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: i'm still not sold like some people on zac. i think this is actually his prove it year. he has to show last year wasn't just a one off and that he isn't just riding the coat tails of the talent. we should be able to see how good a coach he really is or isn't this year cause people will be gunnin for them.

Are you high? Zac doesn't need to prove anything. His first few years is a perfect result in the way he has rebuilt this team and the good leadership he and his staff provide to these players.

(05-12-2022, 05:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m sold on Zac but yes he’s not totally proven his value yet. However they doubled his salary and gave him 5 years so he’s got some time. The Rams were interested if McVay went to TV.

Yeah, me too. McVay himself has very high regards for the knowledge and coaching capabilities of Zac.

Next season will be like any other. We will win some were not supposed to and lose a few were not supposed to but I see no problem with us winning the AFCN and even progressing in the playoffs again. These players got a first hand look at a city and fanbase they lifted out of football purgatory and I think they became part of the dream.

Reply/Quote
It all starts and ends with our QB and he isn't the 'relax' kinda guy. We'll be just fine.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 08:21 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: It all starts and ends with our QB and he isn't the 'relax' kinda guy.  We'll be just fine.

I really like Bfines idea of getting Foles. We need a solid backup just in case.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 08:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I really like Bfines idea of getting Foles. We need a solid backup just in case.

I don't mind the idea of getting a solid backup but I don't really think Foles is all that good.  I wonder if the Jets would trade us Mike White lol. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 09:00 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I don't mind the idea of getting a solid backup but I don't really think Foles is all that good.  I wonder if the Jets would trade us Mike White lol. 

No. 

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 09:00 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I don't mind the idea of getting a solid backup but I don't really think Foles is all that good.  I wonder if the Jets would trade us Mike White lol. 

It’s dollars. I’d rather get J C Tretter for about the same money and have him play 1000+ snaps than Foles possibly play little.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:28 PM)pally Wrote: Last season, even with the vastly changed culture and winning ways, we had some issues that needed some improvement.  The players were inconsistent with their effort and practice.  There were some dumb penalties.

More than anything, I want to see growth from everyone and an improvement in their consistency.  They need to learn to play with expectations.  They will be playing without COVID restrictions for the first time in several years

Pally nailed my thoughts. We improved late last year and became a contender in that time starting with the first KC win in our place.

We need this to flow over into this season early and see if the Offense gets much better with his O-line. Will take a bit of time to gain
consistency but there is no doubt in my mind we will be much better with this OL especially in run blocking. Our team will now have a
target on their backs as Soonerpeace spoke of so the coaching and play will have to improve to get back to the Big Show.

I think it will after what I saw in the Postseason and with what the coaches did and with the players we have added barring injuries.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 04:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not sure where that comes from.

Just another green name that is either a troll or someone who got banned making a new account.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 10:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It’s dollars. I’d rather get J C Tretter for about the same money and have him play 1000+ snaps than Foles possibly play little.

Im with you man especially after seeing our schedule.  JC Tretter would be really nice.  We got a gauntlet of DLs. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Last year we proved we proved we could beat anybody. This year we need to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Last year we overperformed. This year we need to put teams away.
We're a much better offensive team this year than last year. I think the defense could easily backslide; more teams will be better prepared. That only matters if we don't dominate the clock, which I think we should be able to do. The passing game will get even better, as coverage will be softer when our line is improved.
Lastly, the schedule got much harder, especially within the division which we won at 10-7 with the worst team at 8-9. Actually, the worst team finished at 9-7-1 and went to the playoffs.
Last year Joe Burrow was sacked 70 times in 20 games, the next QB was Tannehill at 48 sacks in 18 games. That will improve; I can't even imagine a world where it doesn't.
Reply/Quote