Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Culture as we become the hunted
We are the hunted but I don't think it's as big of an issue for players as it is for fans. Players try to win every game regardless. To a large extent their livelihoods are at stake every night. I really don't think external pressure makes much of a difference once the whistle is blown.

But I'm honored to be in this position. And I think we deserve all the praise, and you'd better believe we'll be favored in the majority of the games. Now, how do we prevent ourselves from believing our own press clippings? I'm not entirely sure. But that's a job for the leadership of this team- namely Joe Burrow. That's why he is who he is, and that's why I'm not worried. We may look like the hunted in May, but once September gets here we'll be hunting again. Joe Burrow will see to it. Great teams are led by alphas who keep the pedal to the metal.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 12:53 AM)puddycat Wrote: Last year we proved we proved we could beat anybody.  This year we need to prove last year wasn't a fluke.  Last year we overperformed.  This year we need to put teams away.  
We're a much better offensive team this year than last year.  I think the defense could easily backslide; more teams will be better prepared.  That only matters if we don't dominate the clock, which I think we should be able to do.  The passing game will get even better, as coverage will be softer when our line is improved.
Lastly, the schedule got much harder, especially within the division which we won at 10-7 with the worst team at 8-9.  Actually, the worst team finished at 9-7-1 and went to the playoffs.
Last year Joe Burrow was sacked 70 times in 20 games, the next QB was Tannehill at 48 sacks in 18 games.  That will improve; I can't even imagine a world where it doesn't.

I don't see how the Defense backslides from the regular season where we were ranked middle of the pack. Especially with us 
getting players back like Ossai and ADG. Dax Hill and Cam Taylor Britt will most likely have immediate impacts in a great way.

We will see with Zach Carter as a rotationary piece behind BJ Hill. My only question. But we might bring back Larry O anyways
if his foot is healed.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 01:08 AM)tms Wrote: We are the hunted but I don't think it's as big of an issue for players as it is for fans. Players try to win every game regardless. To a large extent their livelihoods are at stake every night. I really don't think external pressure makes much of a difference once the whistle is blown.

But I'm honored to be in this position. And I think we deserve all the praise, and you'd better believe we'll be favored in the majority of the games. Now, how do we prevent ourselves from believing our own press clippings? I'm not entirely sure. But that's a job for the leadership of this team- namely Joe Burrow. That's why he is who he is, and that's why I'm not worried. We may look like the hunted in May, but once September gets here we'll be hunting again. Joe Burrow will see to it. Great teams are led by alphas who keep the pedal to the metal.

That is what is so cool about having someone like Joe Burrow. Very rare individual that will keep everyone's head on straight.

He was doing this in the Playoffs telling everyone not to get too excited before the games. Old soul.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:28 PM)pally Wrote: We need the players across the boards to show they are mature human beings.

So they can play a game for a living?

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 12:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was doing this in the Playoffs telling everyone not to get too excited before the games. 

You mean the playoffs where we struggled so much to get started that we trailed the Raiders 0-3, the Chiefs 3-21, and the Rams 3-13?  Maybe the should have been a little more excited.

Love Joe as a QB, but maybe find someone else for the pre-game advice.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 12:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean the playoffs where we struggled so much to get started that we trailed the Raiders 0-3, the Chiefs 3-21, and the Rams 3-13?  Maybe the should have been a little more excited.

Love Joe as a QB, but maybe find someone else for the pre-game advice.

Stop trolling
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 12:53 AM)puddycat Wrote: Last year we proved we proved we could beat anybody. This year we need to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Last year we overperformed. This year we need to put teams away.
We're a much better offensive team this year than last year. I think the defense could easily backslide; more teams will be better prepared. That only matters if we don't dominate the clock, which I think we should be able to do. The passing game will get even better, as coverage will be softer when our line is improved.
Lastly, the schedule got much harder, especially within the division which we won at 10-7 with the worst team at 8-9. Actually, the worst team finished at 9-7-1 and went to the playoffs.
Last year Joe Burrow was sacked 70 times in 20 games, the next QB was Tannehill at 48 sacks in 18 games. That will improve; I can't even imagine a world where it doesn't.

I think that barring injuries to significant players this team could go 12-5. That would be almost as impressive as last season which will be hard to top. The schedule is brutal and the AFC ridiculous. 12-5 would be monumental. Vegas has the Bills and Bucs the most wins at 11.5. So Vegas says absolutely no way.

I think the defense will take a step forward not back. Why? I think Lou has big plans for teams with a lot of special packages. I think he’s got designs on substitution groups using a core of about 18 players. I also think that we will start faster. Taylor is old school. He likes to set up plays that will result in big plays due to setting things up. He basically schemes for later. That sometimes necessitates running plays that aren’t likely to be highly successful. He’s saving the hollow point bullets for later. But I think the offense’s biggest difference will be consistently getting something out of nothing that happened so much last year. We struggled establishing the run yet we had to stick with it. The offense was explosive last year. This years about controlling games.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 11:32 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Im with you man especially after seeing our schedule.  JC Tretter would be really nice.  We got a gauntlet of DLs. 

They had a gauntlet of DLs last year with a really lousy Oline.. They don't even have to be average to improve from last years Oline.. Just not be the shittiest is a huge improvement..  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 10:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: They had a gauntlet of DLs last year with a really lousy Oline.. They don't even have to be average to improve from last years Oline.. Just not be the shittiest is a huge improvement..  ThumbsUp

There were only 6 teams in the NFL that scored fewer 1st quarter points than the Bengals.  We were awful in the first quarter and that needs to change.  Taylor had to game plan around an atrocious offensive line.  I'm excited to see how we run our offense with a "hopefully" much improved offensive line.  If they are middle of the pack or better, we should see a dramatically different offensive game plan.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 12:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Not interested in fostering arguments already rehashed about the change in culture. I’m interested in everybody’s thoughts if they think it’ll help not taking games off for over confidence. I think it will be a huge benefit that we’ve got some leaders and players from teams that were hunted previously and no how to not relax. I don’t think there’s any doubt we snuck up on some teams last year.

The talking heads are hedging their bets cuz the league is wild and the afc north is brutal.

I get it.

Allow me to retort.

Last year was not an illusion.  These dudes are young and full of beans and expect to win.  Man ain't burrow chase and Higgins all got championship rings?  Higgins may have got his when he wasn't playing much, not sure.

Both sides of the ball man.  Young talented.  And now Jamar gonna get more time to work deep.

Do we think Burrow is gonna miss?

I dont.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 09:53 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think that barring injuries to significant players this team could go 12-5. That would be almost as impressive as last season which will be hard to top. The schedule is brutal and the AFC ridiculous. 12-5 would be monumental. Vegas has the Bills and Bucs the most wins at 11.5. So Vegas says absolutely no way.

I think the defense will take a step forward not back. Why? I think Lou has big plans for teams with a lot of special packages. I think he’s got designs on substitution groups using a core of about 18 players. I also think that we will start faster. Taylor is old school. He likes to set up plays that will result in big plays due to setting things up. He basically schemes for later. That sometimes necessitates running plays that aren’t likely to be highly successful. He’s saving the hollow point bullets for later. But I think the offense’s biggest difference will be consistently getting something out of nothing that happened so much last year. We struggled establishing the run yet we had to stick with it. The offense was explosive last year. This years about controlling games.

It is true the AFC is stacked. I was saying 13-4 after Free Agency and the Draft but 12-5 is probably more realistic with this
schedule. Some of these AFC teams are so good that we will have close games and the Offense with the ball last will win.

I just think with an actual elite running game with our new OL we might not have as many close games as we have had the
last few years. If we can run the ball well, take pressure off of Burrow and keep our Defense fresh we will be one of if not the
best team in the NFL this year. Amazing we went as far as we did in the Playoffs with such poor OL play.

Our Defense and Kicker deserve most of the credit. I don't expect either to backslide, they should only build off of what they 
did in the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 04:55 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: this is why it's important to not be lazy and do more than copy and paste the first entry on google search. you gotta look at more recent results that aren't heavily skewed by the 60-90's when there were more dynasties and modern free agency wasn't a factor.

over the past 20 years, half didn't get back to the playoffs. only half were able to win 9 or more games and 8 didn't even have a winning season.

The Patriots modern run of a dynasty is more impressive then any of the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's dynasties. There is a reason they have the most rings now.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 05:34 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The Patriots modern run of a dynasty is more impressive then any of the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's dynasties. There is a reason they have the most rings now.

True, I know it is a big hope but I truly hope with Burrow and Taylor we can do something even close to as impressive as what Brady
and Billy B did. What is wild is they did this in a weak Division for the most part, you would think once they played tougher teams in 
the Playoffs they would of folded more, just shows they could play with anyone even while playing in a weak division. Impressive as 
you say Murdock while having that big target on their back since the first Brady/Belichick SB win.
Reply/Quote