Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuomo issues crackdown on LGBT conversion therapy
This is interesting.

1) What if an individual WANTS the therapy?  I suppose they would have to wait until they were 18?

2) Somehow THIS was covered under insurance policies but my wife can't get her heartburn medicine?

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Cuomo-bans-LGBT-conversion-therapy-insurance-6811917.php?cmpid=fb-desktop

Quote:Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Saturday issued a series of rules designed to stop the use of conversion therapy, in which therapists try to change the sexual orientation or gender identity of gay, lesbian or transgender people.

The regulations will prevent health insurers from covering the process for minors in New York and they keep mental health facilities from subjecting minors to the therapy as well. They also reconfirm a ban on payment by Medicaid, the federal and state insurance program for the poor.

"Conversion therapy is a hateful and fundamentally flawed practice that is counter to everything this state stands for," Cuomo said in announcing the changes which are being enacted through the regulatory process. "New York has been at the forefront of acceptance and equality for the LGBT community for decades — and today we are continuing that legacy and leading by example. We will not allow the misguided and the intolerant to punish LGBT young people for simply being who they are."

A battle over conversion therapy has been playing out in the Legislature for several years. A measure banning its use on minors passed in the Democratic-led Assembly but didn't get through the Republican controlled Senate.

Cuomo's measure doesn't require legislative approval since it impacts regulations carried out by state agencies such as the Department of Financial Services, which regulates health insurers and the state Health Department which oversees Medicaid.
The move drew praise from a number of groups supporting LGBT rights.

"Today, every New Yorker who cares for the health and well-being of children can celebrate. No longer will unscrupulous peddlers of this dangerous pseudoscience victimize LGBT youth in New York State,'' declared a statement from Empire State Pride Agenda.
"Today's announcement is yet another bold move made by Governor Cuomo to protect the rights of LGBT New Yorkers,'' said Kristin Brown Lilley, vice president for policy and government relations at the Empire Justice Center.

"Governor Cuomo's announcement represents another step this administration has taken to address the needs of LGBT New Yorkers,'' added Donna Lieberman executive director of the NYCLU. She added in a release that they plan to review details of the regulations to ensure they strike a balance between regulating professions and allowing free speech.

"This is a good step forward toward protecting New Yorkers from this abominable practice," said Mike Gianaris, deputySenate Democratic minority leader, adding that he had sponsored similar legislation.

The announcement by Cuomo came several hours before he was scheduled to be honored Saturday by the Human Rights Campaign, a national LGBT-rights organization that was holding its annual gala in New York City.

Cuomo last October issued regulations aimed at preventing discrimination against transgender people.

Conversion therapy has been disavowed by many therapists as well as medical professionals. The governor's notice of the new rules includes statements from organizations such as the National Association of Social Workers and NYS Academy of Pediatrics, whose chairman, Dr. Warren Seigel said "Being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender is not a disease.''
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I don't see a problem with consultation, to make sure the young person has someone outside of their family to talk to, if they need it.

I don't agree with attempting to "convert" though.
Seems pretty obvious that it should be allowed for adults who can make their own choice.

But what if the child seems to want it?

I'd say let the minor have a confidential session with a clinical psychologist and then let them decide if the child really wants it. Even then I would only agree with kids over 12 or so being allowed to consent.
Personally, I think the government needs to step up and force people to stop choosing to be left-handed. I'm old-school like that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-07-2016, 02:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Personally, I think the government needs to step up and force people to stop choosing to be left-handed.  I'm old-school like that.

YEAH !!
Cause who the heck wants their kid to turn out like the evil Obama ?
Ammiright ?
Ninja
If an adult wants it, allow it. It's garbage but it's their right to pay someone for that garbage.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-07-2016, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Seems pretty obvious that it should be allowed for adults who can make their own choice.  

But what if the child seems to want it?

I'd say let the minor have a confidential session with a clinical psychologist and then let them decide if the child really wants it.  Even then I would only agree with kids over 12 or so being allowed to consent.

BTW we can just flip the debate and ask what if parents want to change their childs physical sexual organs.  

I am pretty sure most people would agree this is not a decision a parent should be allowed to make, and probably something a minor should not be allowed to consent to.
What actually consists of conversion therapy? Just a bunch of counseling?

If you have issues with gender or sexuality you should be examined for a mental illness. Same as we do for people who have other odd issues.
(02-07-2016, 03:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What actually consists of conversion therapy?  Just a bunch of counseling?

If you have issues with gender or sexuality you should be examined for a mental illness.    Same as we do for people who have other odd issues.

Ida know, how do you think you'd enjoy being counseled on the awesomeness of having sex with other men for a protracted period of time? I'm sure it's even more fun when society starts pressuring or ostracizing you for not being into it. Oy, of all the things that are wrong with me, I'm glad my sexuality isn't one that is considered to be worthy of change.
(02-07-2016, 03:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know, how do you think you'd enjoy being counseled on the awesomeness of having sex with other men for a protracted period of time?

Is it just couseling? The way cuomo and some other talks about it you would think it involved electric shock.
(02-07-2016, 03:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What actually consists of conversion therapy?  Just a bunch of counseling?

If you have issues with gender or sexuality you should be examined for a mental illness.    Same as we do for people who have other odd issues.

This is a delicate issue.

I believe that child should have an independent evaluation, but only to determine if their has been any undue influence by an adult or authority figure.  It is sometimes hard for the child to understand that they are not being judged in these situations.  They see a stigma attached to "needs counselling". 
(02-07-2016, 03:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Is it just couseling?  The way cuomo and some other talks about it you would think it involved electric shock.

It is specific behavior modification.  That is more than just "counselling".
(02-07-2016, 03:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Is it just couseling?  The way cuomo and some other talks about it you would think it involved electric shock.

Hard to say.  If there are people out there who fully believe your sexuality is going to lead to the downfall of society and/or your soul spending an eternity deep-throating Satan's pitchfork why not toss a few shocks in there?  The ends justify the means!

Anywho, what it all comes down to is the flawed (in my mind) notion that people can choose and/or change their sexuality.  For what it's worth, I'm straight, and I have to say that I have a hard time believing someone could counsel or shock me into being legitimately only interested in having sex with other men.  Do you think you could be turned gay?
(02-07-2016, 03:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is specific behavior modification.  That is more than just "counselling".

So electric shock? Or just more talking?
(02-07-2016, 03:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote:   Do you think you could be turned gay?

You can't change Lucie.

He be "fixed" because he is not "broken".
(02-07-2016, 03:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So electric shock?  Or just more talking?

Is it talking or is it a form of sexuality with which you don't identify being shoved down your throat?
(02-07-2016, 03:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So electric shock?  Or just more talking?

You know how my dad broke me from wanting to smoke when I was a kid?

He made me chain smoke a whole pack.  It made me so sick I never tried them again.

Think about it.
(02-07-2016, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You know how my dad broke me from wanting to smoke when I was a kid?

He made me chain smoke a whole pack.  It made me so sick I never tried them again.

Think about it.

Make you have sex with women until you turn into Liberace?  Seems legit.
(02-07-2016, 03:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hard to say.  If there are people out there who fully believe your sexuality is going to lead to the downfall of society and/or your soul spending an eternity deep-throating Satan's pitchfork why not toss a few shocks in there?  The ends justify the means!

Anywho, what it all comes down to is the flawed (in my mind) notion that people can choose and/or change their sexuality.  For what it's worth, I'm straight, and I have to say that I have a hard time believing someone could counsel or shock me into being legitimately only interested in having sex with other men.  Do you think you could be turned gay?

1. sexual behavior could very well have an impact on society. this topic of gay/straight conversion is only tricky because we somehow dismiss that it's not a mental health issue, due to ye fact that it's acceptable. If we change it to any other mental health issue dealing with sexuality we don't think this way. Unless we start talking about pedos and whether they will be accepted in society. As slate tried to promote late last year.

2. This comment also made me realize we agree on this issue. But I will throw this out there .... Does this mean that people can't change their assigned sexuality by Mother Nature. If not then Sexuality is a learned behavior.
(02-07-2016, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You know how my dad broke me from wanting to smoke when I was a kid?

Think about it.

Now we know where you got your grooming idea Ninja