Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious To See How Team Responds to 1st Loss
Disclaimer - I hope we win every game this season including the Superbowl!

BUT

Historically, we aren't so hot the game after the bye. As much as I want and believe we will beat the Steelers next Sunday, if we happen to lose.... I'd start to sweat a little bit. Which sounds odd after losing only 1 game after playing 7 games.

This is why - If we lose against Pittsburgh, we have a short week against Cleveland at home on Thursday Night Football. Prime time.... following our first loss of the season. What a story line right? I wonder how the Bengals would rebound? If they fold on Thursday Night Football (as they always seem to do in primetime), and we lose 2 games in a row to division rivals... the Steelers will be right behind us in the division race.

I truly believe we are a great team. As a great team, we should be able to rebound against such a loss if it were to happen, and quite frankly we should be able to win both of these games. But if they fold, how do you think the season will play out? How would you feel about our Bengals heading into the playoffs if they still cannot get it done in prime time? Of course, we have the whole season left after these two games.. but I might be concerned if this happens moving forward.
Season ticket holder since 2003. Lifetime Bengals fan, through thick and thin.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 01:13 PM)Clep Wrote: Disclaimer - I hope we win every game this season including the Superbowl!

BUT

Historically, we aren't so hot the game after the bye. As much as I want and believe we will beat the Steelers next Sunday, if we happen to lose.... I'd start to sweat a little bit. Which sounds odd after losing only 1 game after playing 7 games.

This is why - If we lose against Pittsburgh, we have a short week against Cleveland at home on Thursday Night Football. Prime time.... following our first loss of the season. What a story line right? I wonder how the Bengals would rebound? If they fold on Thursday Night Football (as they always seem to do in primetime), and we lose 2 games in a row to division rivals... the Steelers will be right behind us in the division race.

I truly believe we are a great team. As a great team, we should be able to rebound against such a loss if it were to happen, and quite frankly we should be able to win both of these games. But if they fold, how do you think the season will play out? How would you feel about our Bengals heading into the playoffs if they still cannot get it done in prime time? Of course, we have the whole season left after these two games.. but I might be concerned if this happens moving forward.

This team has averaged over 10 wins a season the last 4 years and looks like they will do the same this year.  That generally speaks to their ability to rebound following a loss.  
Reply/Quote
i think week 16/17 is the best place to take our first loss...
Reply/Quote
[Image: 3426989260_2vkb2ow_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg]

Just enjoy the ride, brother!
Reply/Quote
We have a real chance this year at obtaining the #1 seed. That's what I think this team should be playing for. First round bye would do wonders for this team. I just really hope we play well after the bye!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 01:13 PM)Clep Wrote: Disclaimer - I hope we win every game this season including the Superbowl!

BUT

We didn't fold against the Eagles in 2012 on TNF.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 01:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: [Image: 3426989260_2vkb2ow_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg]

Just enjoy the ride, brother!

Im enjoying the ride, it's just been a thought running through my mind. I don't mean to sound negative I just wanted to post a thought lol maybe get some feedback on statistics
Reply/Quote
It's never really been about responding to a loss; it's been about responding to injuries.

Think of it this way: The Bengals responded to a playoff loss by making the playoffs again, three times in a row. What more do you need to know?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 01:19 PM)Clep Wrote: Im enjoying the ride, it's just been a thought running through my mind. I don't mean to sound negative I just wanted to post a thought lol

well lets wait till it happens to think about it..

This team hasnt seemed to need a kick in the pants yet..
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 01:16 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: This team has averaged over 10 wins a season the last 4 years and looks like they will do the same this year.  That generally speaks to their ability to rebound following a loss.  

I'd say this is accurate.

Also, for a recent example...

Didn't they have the most embarrassing game of a lot of their careers (vs CLE) and then follow it up by going down to New Orleans and smashing a team that has been regarded as one of the better home teams in the NFL over the last few years?
Reply/Quote
Down 17 points to the Seahawks in the 4th quarter and won...... this team does not fold.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 01:16 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: This team has averaged over 10 wins a season the last 4 years and looks like they will do the same this year.  That generally speaks to their ability to rebound following a loss.  

They haven't averaged MORE than 10 wins per season, they've averaged exactly 10 wins per season.  But I agree, they would respond well to a loss, as has been the case in recent years.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The team has posted back to back losses only once in the past two years. I think they'll be alright
Reply/Quote
My guess is that they will be unhappy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 02:15 PM)eoxyod Wrote: The team has posted back to back losses only once in the past two years. I think they'll be alright

Ah thats good to know. The purpose of this thread is to find some optimistic statistics; these are the responses I'm looking for!
Reply/Quote

BUT

WHO says we are going to lose to Pittsburg ????....everybody is on the Steelers nut grain cereal right now, mostly people in states that watch the Steelers games every Sunday and not the Bengals....What are the Steelers going to do when Bengals beat them, and what if Chiefs beat Steelers also. Steelers fans could be ready to get their bubble burst. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
We'll have to wait till next season to find out Rock On
Reply/Quote
If they do lose i see plenty of reason to believe this Bengals team has what it takes to bounce back right away. However i don't think the Stoolers will be their first lose, it will come sooner or later, and they will bounce back.
Reply/Quote
What's more important than responding to a loss is how they respond to setbacks "in game".

In the past they haven't done a great job of this for sure. This season it's different !
Reply/Quote
If we beat the Seahawks, we can beat the Steelers.

But if we lose, it's just a matter of refocusing. I'm predicting at worst we go 10-6 in the regular season. But I think we can go 12-4 or 13-3 this year if we keep doing what we're doing.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote