Rush O: 16t
Pass O: 12
Scoring O: 6

Total D: 13
Rush D: 4
Pass D: 25
Scoring D: 6

Turnover +/-: 18t

Moving up each week in the right direction. If we keep it up and don't backslide at all, things are going to be very fun for us the rest of the way out!
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 11:10 AM)GodFather Wrote: Total O: 13
Rush O: 16t
Pass O: 12
Scoring O: 6

Total D: 13
Rush D: 4
Pass D: 25
Scoring D: 6

Turnover +/-: 18t

Moving up each week in the right direction. If we keep it up and don't backslide at all, things are going to be very fun for us the rest of the way out!

Ouch with the Pass D number. I thought we would be higher than that.
Reply/Quote
Pretty balanced.
I agree. Thought the pass D would be better.
That’s sort of a problem.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 11:13 AM)Whacked Wrote: Pretty balanced.

Unfortunately, I don't think it can be fixed until the off season with either free agency or the draft. Defense has to roll with the guys on the roster and hope for the best.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Defensive yardage stats are often dependent on how well the entire team plays.

A team that is ahead a lot more will give up more passing yards because the opponent is passing more.  Only 5 teams have faced more pass attempts per game than the Bengals.  So that is a big reason we are 25th in pass yardage defense.  But in "pass efficiency rating" we are 9th (88.4).

On the other hand we rank 4th in rush yards allowed per game, but that is mainly due to the fact that other teams have not ran the ball much against us.  If you look at "yards per carry" we are just 13th.

...................tot yds.......efficiency
Rush D........... 4th.............. 13th
Pass D........... 25th............  9th
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 11:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Ouch with the Pass D number. I thought we would be higher than that.

To be fair, teams have had to throw a LOT against us because of our run D and being behind.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Defensive yardage stats are often dependent on how well the entire team plays.

A team that is ahead a lot more will give up more passing yards because the opponent is passing more.  Only 5 teams have faced more pass attempts per game than the Bengals.  So that is a big reason we are 25th in pass yardage defense.  But in "pass efficiency rating" we are 9th (88.4).

On the other hand we rank 4th in rush yards allowed per game, but that is mainly due to the fact that other teams have not ran the ball much against us.  If you look at "yards per carry" we are just 13th.

That makes sense then.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 12:17 PM)pally Wrote:

Bengals point differential (+83) is third best in AFC and 5th best in the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Defensive yardage stats are often dependent on how well the entire team plays.

Yeah, best way to look at metrics are per attempt metrics. 

Bengals are 15th in net yards per pass attempt along with 13th in yards per carry. Also 13th in pressure %.
Reply/Quote

Exactly. There's been a few games this year teams have padded their pass yards against Cincy with dump offs late in the game and or against Cincy back ups playing the 4th quarter. 1st Pitt game they added a lot of yards dumping it off down the field on their last 2 drives which was over 100 yards. That is Pissburghs only 300 yard passing game of the year. Yesterday got a lot late against back ups as well. 

Only game I recall pass defense getting shredded was the Jets game. A good chunk of Oaklands passing yards came on 1 drive that consisted of 4 passes and accounted for somewhere around 1/3 of their total passing yards. Pass d was awful on that drive but played great rest of the game so yardage stats can definitely be deceiving. If you just looked at the stats in some of the Bengals blowouts you wouldn't think they dominated the game.

1st Pissburgh game we ran like 48 offensive plays. Pissburgh threw the ball more times than that and had around 78 total plays and more than 10 minutes t.o.p advantage. They had over 300 yards passing but alot of that was their last 2 drives dumping it off down the field twice. There's a few other games the stats don't tell the story accurately as well as the overtime games against Minn and GB that don't help the pass yds against per game metric. 

Same goes for Burrow, Chase, Mixon, Higgins and Boyd. If you add up all the game time they missed from sitting on the sideline during the 4th qtr of blowouts then I'm pretty sure it would add up close to them missing an entire game. The 2 ot games offset it some but that still leaves over 2 full quarters of time that would make their numbers better. The vanilla plays run being up big in those games before the starters went to the sideline also have an impact there.

Crazy to say that even with pretty good numbers they've actually been playing better than the numbers say they have. I've been a Bengal fan for about 35 years now and I can't recall this many times in a season and maybe collectively since the Sunday ticket era began that the Bengals ended the game with their starters not playing majority of the 4th quarter due to them giving someone a beating this many times.

This team feels different. I thought Taylor was full of shit when he kept talking about culture. I was wrong and It's showing now. This team seems like they're very close, like they play for each other, hold each other to expectations and accountability. Don't want to let their teammates down etc. Reminds me a lot of the Seahawk teams from around 2012 when the legion of boom was coming together before they started fighting amongst each other and it blew up.
Reply/Quote
#4 rush D - - Reader and Hubbard have been worth every penny.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 11:13 AM)Whacked Wrote: Pretty balanced.

It's a talent problem at DB... Trae Waynes is also a *****...
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 11:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Ouch with the Pass D number. I thought we would be higher than that.

How many yards were given passing when we played our 2nd string defense against the Steeler's first team offense an entire quarter yesterday? How about the Lion's game? Sometimes stats can be deceiving, but much like the Bucs defense, teams pass against us simply because their running backs have trouble running against us.

So, we would be higher if our first team defense stayed in all games and we did not have 2 OT games.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The yardage stats can be misleading, as others have said. Depending on game situation, etc. Like in basketball, the efficiency numbers tend to be more revealing (yards per carry, attempt, etc).

If I had to pick one to really look at, it is scoring. 6th for both the offense and defense while being 18th 8n TO margin is really impressive.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:51 PM)Tony Wrote: ……Trae Waynes is also a *****...

Lol. Yupppp
Reply/Quote
Bengals win out 2nd or 3rd hardest remaining game this week 94 percent we would get 1 seed need a Pats loss to control our own destiny
Reply/Quote